Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The wheel upgrade is STILL the most effective upgrade.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The wheel upgrade is STILL the most effective upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 09:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
Interesting thoughts. I know a guy who is fast enough that I don't bother riding with him, he won an MTB race a couple years ago here in the fastest category after a flat, with the time to stop and fix it, then another after crashing and getting a mild concussion (not advisable IMO, but he did...). He told me he has a set of ridiculously light tubulars that accelerate like crazy, but feel like they lose speed as soon as you let off the power. He says it feels bizarre, but they don't have near the flywheel effect of a typical wheelset, and only work well under constant power. He is an XL and I am solidly a M in frame size, so I haven't had the chance to try out his setup, unfortunately, but I would love to see if I feel the same.
Although I think I’m pretty attuned to my bike and aware of what I want the parts to do, the idea that I could maintain speed without power is foreign to me. Maybe it’s to due with Clydesdale-class physique, but then I think any human body would generate far more speed-sucking drag than a wheelset. But even if I consider the effect “maintaining speed without power” is perceptible enough to feel bizarre, is it sustained long enough to do anything? I mean, I wonder can he stop pedaling and maintain speed long enough to get recovery? Does the effect outweigh the benefits of being quick to pedal-up? I kind of wonder if he’s maybe he’s feeling the combined effect of light weight and poor aerodynamics compared to his other wheels, and he just has to work harder to keep the tubs at speed?
Old 12-03-17, 10:49 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Although I think I’m pretty attuned to my bike and aware of what I want the parts to do, the idea that I could maintain speed without power is foreign to me. Maybe it’s to due with Clydesdale-class physique, but then I think any human body would generate far more speed-sucking drag than a wheelset. But even if I consider the effect “maintaining speed without power” is perceptible enough to feel bizarre, is it sustained long enough to do anything? I mean, I wonder can he stop pedaling and maintain speed long enough to get recovery? Does the effect outweigh the benefits of being quick to pedal-up? I kind of wonder if he’s maybe he’s feeling the combined effect of light weight and poor aerodynamics compared to his other wheels, and he just has to work harder to keep the tubs at speed?
Basically, he’s imagining things. Human perception of things is generally not particularly close to actual reality. To think a few hundred grams difference in rotating weight(hell.. a couple pounds) is going to be noticeable in terms of speed variation throughout an individual pedal stroke is ridiculous.
Old 12-03-17, 10:55 AM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread really has me confused. I recently purchased a 2018 Roubaix Expert fitted with Roval SLX 24 disc wheels. I have only ridden them a couple of hundred miles (damn Central New York weather) and think they are "okay". My old bike had Mavik Krysium Elites (rim brake) that, I think, seemed to handle better, certainly did in the wind. Are commentators saying that it's all in my head and there is no difference between a set of Zipp 303s and a set of inexpensive alloys?
Old 12-03-17, 11:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Hunterdog
Are commentators saying that it's all in my head and there is no difference between a set of Zipp 303s and a set of inexpensive alloys?
No.
Old 12-03-17, 01:24 PM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Like most things a wheel upgrade is subjective. It depends on what you are looking for and how crappy your stock wheels are. I think good tires make a huge difference for $100 or less. If its just a training bike then for me a wheel upgrade wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade until they need replacement.
Old 12-03-17, 01:25 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Basically, he’s imagining things. Human perception of things is generally not particularly close to actual reality. To think a few hundred grams difference in rotating weight(hell.. a couple pounds) is going to be noticeable in terms of speed variation throughout an individual pedal stroke is ridiculous.
I wouldn't be so sure. You know how many molecules - in parts per million - it takes to be able to detect a difference in the taste or smell of something? Why shouldn't our kinesthetic sense be as refined when it comes to mass and velocity when we are trying to move our bikes as effectively as possible? I'm not suggesting that our sense of these things corresponds directly with their actual magnitude, or that we always know exactly what it is we are sensing, only that we can sense very small differences if they are important and we aren't too distracted. If you're riding with someone who's hammering away in front and it takes five watts more than your FTP just to hold his wheel, you know you'd appreciate some gear that could save you 5-10 watts.
Old 12-03-17, 03:33 PM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No.
Thanks for the prompt and concise response. It was very illuminating as the usefulness of the board.
Old 12-03-17, 04:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
But @chaadster didn't say within a pedal stroke, he even asked if it's long enough to recover from a serious effort.

I can tell the difference in weight between my metal and silicone watch bands. I can absolutely tell the difference in swing weight between my nice ski poles that I broke in a crash and the crappy replacements I got for them. I test rode a set of nice wheels against a set of decent ones and had no trouble feeling an immediate difference.
Old 12-03-17, 04:15 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
But @chaadster didn't say within a pedal stroke, he even asked if it's long enough to recover from a serious effort.

I can tell the difference in weight between my metal and silicone watch bands. I can absolutely tell the difference in swing weight between my nice ski poles that I broke in a crash and the crappy replacements I got for them. I test rode a set of nice wheels against a set of decent ones and had no trouble feeling an immediate difference.
I was referring specifically to the previous comment about the flywheel effect of wheels. I guess I inadvertantly inserted the pedal stroke comment.

But yea I still call BS. I dont believe anyone can tell the difference in flywheel effect due to weight differences of road wheels.
Old 12-03-17, 04:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by kbarch
I wouldn't be so sure. You know how many molecules - in parts per million - it takes to be able to detect a difference in the taste or smell of something? Why shouldn't our kinesthetic sense be as refined when it comes to mass and velocity when we are trying to move our bikes as effectively as possible? I'm not suggesting that our sense of these things corresponds directly with their actual magnitude, or that we always know exactly what it is we are sensing, only that we can sense very small differences if they are important and we aren't too distracted. If you're riding with someone who's hammering away in front and it takes five watts more than your FTP just to hold his wheel, you know you'd appreciate some gear that could save you 5-10 watts.
Well said. Perhaps the bridge between what you are saying and what Abe Froman is saying is a matter of duration, intensity, and experience.

To Abe's point, if you were given a bike and instructed to ride it 500m out and 500m back on a flat road at an easy pace, you'd probably not be able to determine wheel weight in any meaningful way. If I understand your point, though, if someone had a bike and two wheelsets, both with the same tire and one substantially heavier than the other, and had the opportunity to live with and do their rides with them, that through the course of riding up and down, and hard and slow, and through turns and across good pavement and bad, that they would likely, in time, be able to discern the differences.

It is in the experience and range of effort that we develop that kinesthetic sense, I think.
Old 12-03-17, 04:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I dont believe anyone can tell the difference in flywheel effect due to weight differences of road wheels.
Exactly. I don't think so either (as you rightly understood from my earlier post). We can feel other effects related to wheel weight, though.
Old 12-03-17, 04:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I can tell the difference in weight between my metal and silicone watch bands. I can absolutely tell the difference in swing weight between my nice ski poles...
Great analogies to the point of kinesthetic sensitivity!
Old 12-03-17, 04:58 PM
Abe_Froman

Of course, I’m not saying weight doesnt matter...I’m saying any discussion about wheels acting as a flyweight is pretty off base from the beginning.
Old 12-03-17, 05:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ok, I'll buy that we probably can't perceive the difference in flywheel effect between two road wheelsets. I think people can feel the difference between wheels, but if we're only talking about flywheel, I don't think that's what anybody is feeling.
Old 12-03-17, 05:08 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well said. Perhaps the bridge between what you are saying and what Abe Froman is saying is a matter of duration, intensity, and experience.

To Abe's point, if you were given a bike and instructed to ride it 500m out and 500m back on a flat road at an easy pace, you'd probably not be able to determine wheel weight in any meaningful way. If I understand your point, though, if someone had a bike and two wheelsets, both with the same tire and one substantially heavier than the other, and had the opportunity to live with and do their rides with them, that through the course of riding up and down, and hard and slow, and through turns and across good pavement and bad, that they would likely, in time, be able to discern the differences.

It is in the experience and range of effort that we develop that kinesthetic sense, I think.
Thanks. Absolutely, one would have to compare in order to be able to discern the effect. I think when/where we most develop these sensitivities is on rolling courses - when we have opportunities to take brief advantage of the terrain to do a little sprint, push ourselves over an easing crest, stuff like that - short efforts that are really about change in speed. Of course one could expect to develop the same in racing. It's unlikely that one would develop a sensitivity to it if the only accelerations one experienced were when casually getting underway from a stop, or if one spent over 95% of ones rides cruising at more or less constant speeds.
Old 12-03-17, 05:19 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

I even can't stand writing with a pen with the cap fully off instead of on the heel of the pen; it's unbalanced, and not by a little. There are other examples not coming to mind now.

Of course, that's a different question from speed; I don't type faster with the cap on (or off). And heck, different training suits in the pool have hugely different feels, and do affect speed.
Old 12-04-17, 03:07 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You mean physics?
Heavier wheels are slower to get up to speed. Its really quite straight forward. More mass means more effort to get up to speed in the same amount of time compared to a lighter wheelset, or it means longer to get up to speed at the same effort as the lighter wheelset.
No, it really isn't straight forward. As subsequent conversation has indicated, there's a long standing debate about the effects of wheel weight. The effects of increasing wheel weight are myriad. The more I looked into this, the more confused I got.

For example:
Cycling myths busted: Da Vinci, dead frames, skinny tyres, rotating weight and more | road.cc

Technical FAQ: Does wheel weight matter? | VeloNews.com

So defining the effects is one issue here. Secondly, you've got the issue of the size of any possible effects. The difference between a "heavy" rear wheel and a "light" rear wheel might be a 200g-300g, normalizing for tires. It's far from settled that the effect of that small a difference actually matters. You've also got the issue of where in the wheel you have a weight variance: in the hub or in the rim. Etc.

As I don't race, I gave up worrying about this. What matters to me more is quality (fit and finish, freehub engagement etc), price and long-term reliability. Weight is a distant fourth when it comes to wheels. Usually good quality stuff is reasonably light as well, but that's a second order effect for me. This is solely MY OPINION, YMMV.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-04-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 03:14 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I think some ultralight headset spacers are the most bang for your buck upgrade available.
Old 12-04-17, 03:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
No, it really isn't straight forward. As subsequent conversation has indicated, there's a long standing debate about the effects of wheel weight. The effects of increasing wheel weight are myriad. The more I looked into this, the more confused I got.

For example:
Cycling myths busted: Da Vinci, dead frames, skinny tyres, rotating weight and more | road.cc

Technical FAQ: Does wheel weight matter? | VeloNews.com

So defining the effects is one issue here. Secondly, you've got the issue of the size of any possible effects. The difference between a "heavy" rear wheel and a "light" rear wheel might be a 200g-300g, normalizing for tires. It's far from settled that the effect of that small a difference actually matters. You've also got the issue of where in the wheel you have a weight variance: in the hub or in the rim. Etc.

As I don't race, I gave up worrying about this. What matters to me more is quality (fit and finish, freehub engagement etc), price and long-term reliability. Weight is a distant fourth when it comes to wheels. Usually good quality stuff is reasonably light as well, but that's a second order effect for me. This is solely MY OPINION, YMMV.
Ok, ill give a synopsis since there seems to be confusion between us.

- you said you are skeptical that rotational weight exists/matters.

- i snarkily responded by saying you question physics. I then stats heavier wheels are slower to get up to speed and that more mass means more effort to get a bike(the wheels) up to speed.

- you then linked a Zinn article to show physics isnt straigh forward, even though it supports my comments. You then question how much of a difference increased rotstional weight matters.

Ok, so- Zinn states that heavier wheels take longer to get up to speed, which is what i said. He also stated more rotational weight slows the acceleration.
Zinn agrees with physics.

As for how much of a difference a lighter wheelset makes, sure that can be discussed and opinions formed.
But your skepticism of rotational weight mattering is unfounded oer Zinn and physics. Trust its real. Whether it matters to you or not, well thats individual and for each of us to decide.
Old 12-05-17, 01:34 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeesh...why would anyone in Seattle NOT have fenders on their bike year round?
I'm in the rainforest west of seattle. Looking at last year's rain totals in iches right now: April-September: 16 inches of rain. The rest of the year, each and every single month was at 22 inches.

So summer isn't so bad. This winter has been drier than expected, too.

edit: Actually I just checked, November had 33.8" inches of rain. I, uh, use fenders. If I could find XXL shoe covers, I'd use those too.
Old 12-05-17, 01:41 AM
Sullalto

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

But can you tell the difference in true double blind tests?

Time and time again, the vast majority of people can't in all sorts of tests. To borrow a phrase from another hobby, 'the butt dyno is poorly calibrated.'.
Old 12-06-17, 06:05 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I doubt very much if I could detect a difference between my heavy and light wheels using the flywheel effect, but I have no problem feeling the difference when I stand and hammer, particularly at a reasonable speed.
I guess I'm sensing the gyroscopic effect as the heavier wheels require more effort to rock the bike from side to side. The difference in weight between my heaviest and lightest wheelsets is about 600 grams, so I don't think I'm claiming any sort of special sensitivity, but I'm fairly confident I'd pass a double blind test.
Old 12-06-17, 06:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sullalto
I'm in the rainforest west of seattle. Looking at last year's rain totals in iches right now: April-September: 16 inches of rain. The rest of the year, each and every single month was at 22 inches.
Holy smokes, that's over 220 inches of rain annually! That's, like, inconceivable to me!
Old 12-06-17, 08:59 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Holy smokes, that's over 220 inches of rain annually! That's, like, inconceivable to me!
That's ~18 years worth of rain here in the Sonoran Desert (~12"/yr).
Old 12-07-17, 12:41 AM
Sullalto

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's like...~170" normally. Summer is dry. But yeah. They aren't kidding when they say rainforest. Actually it's been a dry year. We might not hit 150 unless the 2nd half of December is especially wet.

I work in a hotel. I very regularly get people asking for discounts because of the 'bad weather'.
"Excuse me, bad weather?"
"It's been raining our entire stay. And it's ruined my weekend. What can you do for me?"
Uh, nothing. It rains. Get over it. We sell umbrellas and rain gear in the gift shop. Deal. I only give discounts for the hotel's mistakes. And we don't control the weather. Now pay me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.