Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to Keep Wahoo Tickr Going

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 07:32 PM
bobin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well my Wahoo Tickr is dead after a year which doesn't seem nearly as long as it should last. I can get a blue light some times but never a red.

I like it and I'll purchase another one - but before i do -> Are there any tips on keeping this thing clean? I think mine died because I always left the same side of the strap connected to the main unit - resulting in a lot of corrosion on that contact point on the strap. Do folks who use this always take everything apart and clean/let dry?
Old 01-19-19, 07:53 PM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You changed the battery?
Old 01-19-19, 09:24 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
  1. Rinse strap after every usage to prevent salt build up. Remove monitor when doing this. I store strap/monitor disconnected from each other may preserve battery wear but not 100% sure on that one.
  2. I only use my Tickr for outdoor rides. For indoor rides where I sweat like a pig I use an older hard plastic type Wahoo strap (similar to Garmin) that has survived 3-4 seasons of indoor training and is still going strong
Old 01-22-19, 05:46 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I have had a Tickr for 2 years with no problems. I always disconnect the monitor unit from the strap after taking it off, and I wipe down the strap and the monitor unit after each ride (indoor riding and outdoor) - usually just wiping on a dry part of whatever I'm wearing! But, I only wash the strap maybe once per month. The Tickr strap has lasted longer than most Polar straps used to last for me, with the same maintenance routine
Old 01-24-19, 09:03 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I just use it and remove it. No care at all. I sweat like a pig, and It's been 2 years.
Old 02-08-19, 12:42 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
I haven't had the problem with corrosion despite doing what you do (leave one side connected). Anyway, assuming not just a battery issue take some steel wool or sandpaper and polish off the corrosion as best you can. That may solve the problem. If necessary, buy a new strap and see if that helps (IIRC they're only $20 compared to full thing which is $50).