Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Rack...Never Again

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Rack...Never Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 07:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
My 30 year old car blew a head gasket.

I’m done with cars.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-09-20, 09:12 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
1up or nothing.
Yes adding a hitch receiver and paying for the rack sucks.
But it lasts forever and the bike is secure. No plastic or steel that can rust.

I tried the in the car for my daily 2- mode commute. But removing the wheel, the dirt, the space it takes etc. gets old quickly if you use it daily.
Old 03-11-20, 10:06 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
My 30 year old car blew a head gasket.

I’m done with cars.
Yay! Good for you. Wait ... you're not serious, right?
Old 03-11-20, 10:44 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

My fear when transporting is that some semi--conscious driver will rear-end me ...

Sad to hear about the bike.
We have had an SUV with a hitch mounted rack which I like however 2 years ago my wife was hit in the rear end of the car by a driver looking at their phone. Fortunately my wife was not injured and the bikes were not on the rack at the time. The rack was completely destroyed along with the hitch portion and the car was considered a total loss. . Here's the hard part, in spite of the fact that the rack and hitch were less than 2 months old, the rack was depreciated in half by the auto insurance company and the hitch was considered "part of the car" and therefor the check we received for the total loss of the car had no line item for the hitch itself. So yes that's a valid fear and as such I take the rack off if I don't think I'll use it for a week or 2 just to avoid that again.
Old 03-11-20, 10:50 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Strictformflow
Ouch! I have a 20 something year old bike rack that gives me the wrong kinda willies while driving. I think the steel parts are good might try to restring it with new nylons before I use it again.
I would love to buy things that last a long time as opposed to what is the current environment everything is a subscription including your washing machine, fridge, bike rack etc.

A 20 year old bike rack I would say has given you your money's worth easily. The straps etc. will wear out and fail so I would ask what is the market value of the bikes you put on it and how able are you to just go out and replace them when the rack fails. The other thing to consider is the lawsuit filed by the person behind you that "your bike runs into" when it falls off the rack.
Old 03-12-20, 06:04 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by TKJava
I would love to buy things that last a long time as opposed to what is the current environment everything is a subscription including your washing machine, fridge, bike rack etc.

A 20 year old bike rack I would say has given you your money's worth easily. The straps etc. will wear out and fail so I would ask what is the market value of the bikes you put on it and how able are you to just go out and replace them when the rack fails. The other thing to consider is the lawsuit filed by the person behind you that "your bike runs into" when it falls off the rack.
Don't fear the boogie man.
Old 03-12-20, 06:23 AM
Strictformflow

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TKJava

Well stated, the coveted subscription model of business... Hold on while I vomit.

The market value of probably any bike I choose to put on my old rack is many orders of magnitude greater vs cost of some nylon webbing and, at the high end, two hours of my time fitting and stitching.
Old 03-12-20, 07:33 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I bought a Yakima roof rack in 1993 that I used for 20+ years for bikes, skis and snowboards without issue on a handful of different cars. One of the towers eventually broke, and the fork mount for one of the bike holders was rusted, so I figured I was due for a replacement. I tried a trunk mounted rack for a bit and it scratched up my trunk and was very flimsy. The geometry of some mountain bikes made it hard to mount them on the rack, and I always worried about using it on the highway, and also worried about rear-end fender-bender destroying an expensive bike that my auto insurance company may not cover.

I ended up buying a new Yakima roof rack 4-5 years ago and it's been perfect. The initial install takes some effort to get set up correctly, but once that's done it just takes a few seconds to pop it on or off my car. I only occasionally need to transport a bike by car, so I leave it off most of the time, and it lives in my garage leaning up against a wall. These things are pretty much bomb proof and I'd be surprised if I ever buy anything else.

My bike fits in my trunk if I fold the rear seats, but it requires me to remove my kid's car seat. Also, putting a muddy MTB or CX bike inside my car is a no-go for me. And, I like to take bikes on family vacations so inside the car is not very practical for that.
Old 03-14-20, 10:08 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Ah, you learned all the wrong lessons from this incident.
Old 03-19-20, 01:16 PM
u235

I have a followup. I replaced my straps as mentioned earlier in this thread. I can tell you they were definitely strong. My wife rolled the car, hit a tree and it landed on the roof and the rack stayed attached. The straps were strong enough to almost pull the trunk lid off
I still have faith in racks with straps. I'll need a new one though, the straps aren't the issue with this one now.

Last edited by u235; 03-19-20 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 01:19 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Would add on to what very one else is saying - hitch mounted rack for security, durability, ease of use, lack of wind resistance. I use the OneUp rack, super light too. Can still have full trunk access and all back seats. They also sell locks or you can wrap a chain around it if parked in a risky area.
Old 03-22-20, 01:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
welp, that surely will resolve that vehicle's rack issue...
Old 03-22-20, 02:06 PM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Seriously? Check your straps, stuff wears out.
Old 03-22-20, 02:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Damn, I seriously hope she's ok and pray for a complete recovery. That's quite the rollover.
Old 03-23-20, 12:05 AM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
I have a truck, no rack issues...truck bed works very well and can hold a few bikes....also in my Yukon, she rides in the back. Always paranoid to have it outside the vehicle(truck bed excluded)
Old 03-23-20, 08:34 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I'm a devout Thule Load Straps user. Been hauling a 17.5' fiberglass kayak and bike hitch mount for many yrs with no issues. They function smart, are UV resistant and provide a strong grip that tightens / loosens on demand easily.
Old 03-23-20, 11:07 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
The other day I drove my car to the shop for maintenance, I bring my bike, as always, so that I can go for a ride while maintenance is performed on my car. I use a trunk-mounted rack to transport the bike on this car because my roof rack doesn't fit. I returned to the shop on my bike, and after picking up my car was driving on the highway when two of the straps broke that were securing the bike rack to the car. A third strap kept the rack from detaching from the car, but the rack had fallen low enough that the bike's tires were dragging on the roadway and the resistance cracked the fork and seat-stays. I was fortunate that the damage was limited, and that no damage occurred to my car or other vehicles.
There was a strong wind that day and I was driving into it. My car sits low, and the bike rack is 30 years old. After the fact it appears that these were recipes for disaster.....even though it took this many years for it to happen.
My bikes travel inside my vehicles from now on. The rack went into the trash this morning. It served me well for so many years, that I have no complaints. I'll probably donate my roof rack to a worthy cause.
Luckily I have more than one bike, so I am not too depressed.....
I came a whisker of losing a bike at 70mph. I just happened to look in the rearview mirror when I saw it go. 2 things saved it. an extra strap and the kickstand. The kickstand was the only thing to touch the ground. I bought a van after that. People can say it is operator error but I was certain my bikes were secured.
Old 03-23-20, 12:25 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I came a whisker of losing a bike at 70mph. I just happened to look in the rearview mirror when I saw it go. 2 things saved it. an extra strap and the kickstand. The kickstand was the only thing to touch the ground. I bought a van after that. People can say it is operator error but I was certain my bikes were secured.
Yep! After my experience I will never feel completely confident carrying my bike on a car rack. I am convinced that putting the bike inside the car is the only option for me.
Old 03-23-20, 03:43 PM
DJJonnyT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that sucks! A good reminder to anyone using old equipment that it all will fail eventually. The newer racks are amazing and worth looking at when you get your new bike.
Old 03-23-20, 05:24 PM
u235

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Damn, I seriously hope she's ok and pray for a complete recovery. That's quite the rollover.
Sore, cut, bruised, and extremely lucky. Probably a matter of inches. Seatbelt did the most damage but did its job.

Last edited by u235; 03-23-20 at 05:32 PM.