Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Pedals / chain question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Pedals / chain question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 12:04 AM
1nsanegt

Bikes: Specialized XC fsr Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedals / chain question

Hello, I'm new to the forums, my first post. i used the search bar, and didn't come up with anything i was really looking for.

i have been riding for about 3 months now, and i believe its time to upgrade to some clipin pedals, w/ shoes. i was gonna go with the specialized BG pro carbon shoes, but haven't been able to figure out which pedal to match them up with. i was originally thinking the Crank bros Mallet 1-3 because of the extra platform for the pedal, but quickly learned that having good shoes, the platform pedal becomes quite useless due to have a nice plastic/carbon platform for the sol of the shoe. so now im stuck between the crank bro candy, smarty, acid, eggbeater.

i want to have a little bit of a platform, but not to much, im just really stuck on what to get because there is such a vast selection.

my other question was chain slap, my ride is a Specialized XC fsr xpert, and im starting to get really aggravated with the chain slap, the annoying noise when your A: going down a rough hill B: bunny hopping a small cliff C: going over roots etc. i hear other riders passing me and their bikes not making a sound, im wondering if i need to tighten the deraillers, or just get some kind of new front sprocket derailer, cause that is where it seems to be hitting.

your help / opinion will be greatly appreciated and thank you ahead of time
Old 02-03-09, 12:10 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
1st: Get a set of Shimano SPD M545's or Time Atacs, be weary of crank brothers pedals, as of late their track record for durability has been of question.

2nd: Chainslap happens, especially if you are running a shimano setup on the bike. A simple solution is to get a chainstay gaurd, which should help quiet things down.
Old 02-03-09, 12:26 AM
kmart
Blue Light Special

Bikes: '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
2nd: Chainslap happens, especially if you are running a shimano setup..
Are you saying that other drivetrains don't have as bad of a chainslap? I guess the only other option here is SRAM, but I think the only thing that really changes there is the rear derailler, and then not even all that much.

If you have an XTR (or possibly XT?) derailler you can set a spring in the derailer for chain tension to one of two settings. There will be less drivetrain friction in the looser setting, but less chainslap in the tighter setting. I've been thinking of tightening up the spring in my XTR rear derailler for a while now. There's some info on how to set this up for an XTR derailer here:
https://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2008...-overhaul.html
Old 02-03-09, 12:29 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kmart
Are you saying that other drivetrains don't have as bad of a chainslap? I guess the only other option here is SRAM, but I think the only thing that really changes there is the rear derailler, and then not even all that much.

If you have an XTR (or possibly XT?) derailler you can set a spring in the derailer for chain tension to one of two settings. There will be less drivetrain friction in the looser setting, but less chainslap in the tighter setting. I've been thinking of tightening up the spring in my XTR rear derailler for a while now. There's some info on how to set this up for an XTR derailer here:
https://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2008...-overhaul.html
Sram is alot quieter than shimano. You can change ther spring in the deraillieur but you have to make sure when you do that you don't ruin the c clip that holds it all together.
Old 02-03-09, 06:22 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chainslap: I believe the OP is talking about the chain rattling around in his front derailleur cage.

"...or just get some kind of new front sprocket derailer, cause that is where it seems to be hitting"

I used to HATE that noise. I took my front derailleur, big ring, and granny off. I'm running a single front ring. As others have said, you can add tension to your chain to reduce noise. You "may" be able to take a link out of your chain. I've seen pre-assembled big brand bikes with chains that are too long.

Pedals...there's nothing wrong with the durability of Crank Bro's pedals. I used to run Shimano SPD's and thought they were the beezneez too. Two weeks on Crank Bro's Candy's and I haven't missed my SPD's a bit. Shimano's work fine when they're clean and well lubed. Get 'em wet or muddy, let them dry and the lube goes bye-bye, they lose their smooth. Granted, all you have to do is squirt some lube on them to make them smooth again, but why bother. I forgot to lube them a couple times and when I got to the trail...it was pretty dang tough getting clipped in/out. Not impossible, just annoying.

Crank Brothers Candy C's that I've been running have been smooth entry/exit every time...wet/dry/mud/snow/ice...no problems. If I haven't broken them, they're pretty dang tough. I haven't even bent a spindle. I've bent some Shimano and Wellgo spindles fairly quickly. I bang the cages on rocks now and then and jump off whatever I can find around me...no issues.

CB's not durable?

Whatevah!
Old 02-03-09, 08:24 AM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
CB's not durable?

Whatevah!
*flame flame flame*

<Insert Image of DH Racer With Broken Mallets>
Old 02-03-09, 09:34 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke a spindle off a beater by slamming it on a rock. The pedal was kind of old, but Crank brothers warrantied it without question. Didn't even ask for a proof of purchase.
Old 02-03-09, 11:07 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProFail
*flame flame flame*

<Insert Image of DH Racer With Broken Mallets>
I'm assuming you're flaming mad b/c I never flamed anybody.

Just saying that as a trail rider / panty-waist freerider...I break alot of crap and these have held up. You also have to consider the context of the thread. Though the OP "could be" an UberGnar DH'er...he's on an FSRXC...broken Mallets probably don't apply to his situation.

Sure, any pedal will break under the right circumstance but given the OP's implied situation, I don't believe there would be an issue.
Old 02-04-09, 06:23 PM
1nsanegt

Bikes: Specialized XC fsr Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i ended up going with the pedals that come with the 08 Stumpjumpers, my LBS gave them to me for a deal, as for my chain slap, cant seem to get rid of it, im thinking maybe ill just go to a single speed in the front. not to sure yet.

thanks for the opinions.. and i have ridden twice, first time on clips, so getting clipped in is somewhat difficult cause im not 100% sure on my foot position but im getting it, couple of spills but im still all for it!

thanks for the help guys!