Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will we see automatic bicycles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will we see automatic bicycles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 08:20 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You would think shifting was difficult, but it isn't. So what's the point? bk
Old 02-25-09, 09:12 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Wait, automatic shifting on a 3speed IGH?
as if only 3 gears to choose from, and on an IGH even weren't simple enough already??
What kind of mentally handicapped people are they marketing too...
Oh, you'd be surprised...

I also think that it's marketing's job to tell people that there's this new solution to a problem that somebody, somewhere, once had. Then, there are people who always look for the labels "New!" and "Easier!", so they'll buy into whatever product is being touted as such (whether it's actually an effective product or not).

Personally, I don't like the idea of automatic shifting because, to put it simply, I'm the engine. Pay attention to what a car engine does with an automatic transmission -- it jumps to higher revs, drops to low revs, ad nauseum, which is like a cyclist suddenly having to change cadence against their will.
Old 02-26-09, 10:11 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
you mean like this?
https://www.fallbrooktech.com/08_demo.asp

constantly variable planetary drive hub

think IGH + CVT.
Wow, how cool is that? CV for bikes! Yeah, adapting this to auto would be easy. The position is just a function of speed. I'd love to try one of these.

Jack
Old 02-26-09, 02:27 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
My problem is that I have nowhere to set my coffee cup down while riding a bike. Someone needs to invent some sort of holder thing for my cup.

jim
It is not so much the placement of the cup holder as the proper adjustment of the chauffeur.
Old 02-26-09, 02:30 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xenologer
Wait, automatic shifting on a 3speed IGH?
as if only 3 gears to choose from, and on an IGH even weren't simple enough already??
What kind of mentally handicapped people are they marketing too...
Shimano Coasting (I KNEW someone would post a link to a Trek, since Trek is obviously the only bike brand on the planet... ) was designed for non-riders. It is their clever marketing ploy to get more people cycling and therefore addicted to spending copious amounts of money on bikes and cycling gear.

Nice that you mentioned "mentally handicapped" people, since those people would also be within the target group, I assume.
Old 02-26-09, 02:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
How would the bike know what my optimum cadence is?
Old 02-26-09, 09:59 PM
rekall

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by norwood
yes, yes! We need auto shifting and some sort of power steering and power assisted braking and of course, the cup holder. And some sort of metal box to protect us from the elements and maybe 2 more wheels to keep it all steady. And, and.......wait a minute.
^ flawless victory.

but a variable transmission (like suburu invented for their 1990 Justy) on a bike would be awesome.
Old 02-26-09, 11:16 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgold8
Automatic transmissions are easier to use, but manuals give you more control, aren't as complicated, are more reliable, and give you better gas mileage. I'm surprised people are always upset that their cars don't get better mileage and talk about getting a hybrid! Get a MANUAL and you'll get better mileage! It's a $1000 less option when you buy a car!
That was like in the 1400s, grampa.

Today's autos usually get better milage then most people can manage with a stick.
Old 02-27-09, 07:38 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ProFail
That was like in the 1400s, grampa.

Today's autos usually get better milage then most people can manage with a stick.
Beat me to it.

Once automatic transmissions became completely computer-controlled, they became MORE efficient than manual transmissions.

I still think automatics suck, but I have one due to there not being a manual version of my truck available at the time.
Old 11-07-09, 09:11 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
You mean like the Autobike?

I shot more pictures, in different light. Hope you can see how it works.

The weights on the spokes slide out, (centrifugal force), a lever moves a plastic disk (looks like a spoke protector, but it's black), the chain gets pushed to a higher (smaller) gear. There are three weights and three levers. Hope you canm see the parts in these photos.

My first photo was suffering from low light conditions.
Old 11-07-09, 09:50 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This comes up here and on other boards three or four times a year, and i always have the same question: Why would anybody want THAT? I can't imagine a situation, not in the 40 years I've been cycling or into the future, where I'd ever say, "Jeez, this would be a perfect ride if only the bike had an automatic trans."
Old 11-07-09, 10:39 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I also think it's a dumb idea. The one's I've tried are cumbersome and awkward. I think it "fights" against you in many situations (standing up to sprint, freely choosing a different cadence-speed profile, choosing a different time to downshift, ...ten other subtle nuances of how I want my bicycle to respond). Ride a single speed and you'll realize there are infinite subtlties of how you want that perfect effort-vs-response to manifest. auto-shift? Dumb idea on a bike!
Old 11-07-09, 10:57 AM
jagsfanrick

Bikes: 2009 Schwinn World S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always preferred manual transmission in a car so no reason would ever want an automatic bike.
Old 11-07-09, 12:56 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano is now offering a full automatic version of their 8 speed Nexus IGH in Europe called the Cyber Nexus. Actually a full groupo is available. Check the Shimano Europe site for info on it. It allows full auto shifting in either normal or sport modes or manual shifting at the press of a button, up or down. The only bike I am aware of offering it here is the Ferrari CX-70. Shimano has done auto shifting versions of their 3, 4 and 8 speed IGH hubs.

I have the Nuvinci hub on one bike. A different riding experience but not truly an automatic transmission. It is heavy so definitely not for the bike weight concious.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 11-07-09, 01:24 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cyber Nexus:
https://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...ber_nexus.html

(allow me to rant that Shimano needs to fire their webmasters... examples: https://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...0C.-type-.html https://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...56.-type-.html )

Last edited by BarracksSi; 11-07-09 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-07-09, 01:36 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Already available, it's just a matter of time and R&D before this technology bcomes more widespread.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ath/lime/lime/
Thay have been available for some time; at least 10years be my guess./Kenneth
Old 11-07-09, 01:48 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't even like automatic cars...
Old 11-08-09, 08:54 AM
Powerarranger
Arranger Power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually looking for a Lime for my sister, who is special needs. Physically, she can ride a DF bike, but shifting is a problem for her. An automatic 3-spd would be perfect.

I checked out that link. It appears they're not offering the Lime anymore. Guess I'll have to find one used. Any idea what I'd expect to pay for one of these things?
Old 11-08-09, 09:02 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I've had that Autobike for about twenty years. But I took pictures last week, to show how the moving parts operate. No, I never ride the thing- the tires still have fuzz (sprue?) on them.

The one thing I may eventually cannibalize the Autobike for is the crankset. The crankset on the Autobike has a ratchet mechanism, the chain always moves. If I was to build a bike with an Electric Assist motor, this would allow me to use a "Mid-Drive", without having the pedals moving when the motor is running.

Another topic for another day.
Old 11-08-09, 10:32 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Powerarranger
I'm actually looking for a Lime for my sister, who is special needs. Physically, she can ride a DF bike, but shifting is a problem for her. An automatic 3-spd would be perfect.

I checked out that link. It appears they're not offering the Lime anymore. Guess I'll have to find one used. Any idea what I'd expect to pay for one of these things?
I just checked my catalog.... Raleigh has killed theirs too (Raleigh Coasting). My guess is that there just weren't enough sales. I know we only sold 2 the entire time I worked for a Raleigh dealer.

Someone else made a coasting bike too.... Just checked. It was Giant (Suede DX). It's now a normal 3 speed.

If no one is carrying the bikes, Shimano will probably kill it, if it hasn't already. Ergo, no parts after a while. You should be able to pick up a Lime/Coasting/Suede for half of retail or so. Also check with local dealers and see if Trek/Raleigh/Giant have any '09 Coasting bikes on closeout.
Old 11-09-09, 12:25 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I'll call it a flaw to compare biking with automobile driving. The main difference is not whether a manufacturer can make it automatic. The biggest issue is the power output of the rider.

When car designers make automatic transmissions, they design it for the entire drive train and weight, etc. But with a bike, the engine is yourself and that power output varies. It varies on the type of ride and it varies on the ebb and flow of your own energy levels during that ride. It varies again as a rider gains more conditioning and again with a rider loses some of that conditioning. It varies among the different riders.

Try putting yourself in the position of a designer. That designer has to make that automatic transmission work for the group riders in the A, B, C group. It has to work practically all the time, not just some of the time, depending on circumstances. Any decrease in performance of the automatic tranny would not be acceptable for the consumer who is going to shell out bucks for this new feature.

Of course, this automatic tranny could be targeted to a narrow group of riders. Then it might work, provided that there's enough market demand for it.
Old 11-09-09, 12:57 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I'll call it a flaw to compare biking with automobile driving. The main difference is not whether a manufacturer can make it automatic. The biggest issue is the power output of the rider.

When car designers make automatic transmissions, they design it for the entire drive train and weight, etc. But with a bike, the engine is yourself and that power output varies. It varies on the type of ride and it varies on the ebb and flow of your own energy levels during that ride. It varies again as a rider gains more conditioning and again with a rider loses some of that conditioning. It varies among the different riders.

Try putting yourself in the position of a designer. That designer has to make that automatic transmission work for the group riders in the A, B, C group. It has to work practically all the time, not just some of the time, depending on circumstances. Any decrease in performance of the automatic tranny would not be acceptable for the consumer who is going to shell out bucks for this new feature.

Of course, this automatic tranny could be targeted to a narrow group of riders. Then it might work, provided that there's enough market demand for it.
The Shimano Coasting group was targeted at the 'couch-potato, non-rider', and only at them.
Old 11-10-09, 10:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
And how is the Shimano Coasting group doing?
Old 11-10-09, 11:02 AM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not so well, I'm thinking.

Meanwhile, the LandRider automatic bikes are selling like crazy on HSN to idiots who can't figure out how to shift a bike. At the shop, they'd (LandRider) pay us large amounts of money to fix the bikes when they broke.
https://www.landriderbikes.com/

Last edited by PlatyPius; 11-10-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-10-09, 02:03 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How would the bike know what my optimum cadence is?
And more to the point, how would the bike adjust your "optimum cadence" to how your body feels after 250km in the saddle? Or three mountain passes? Or Several hours into a headwind? You get the idea.

Automatic shifters have been around on various bikes for a while, and as others have pointed out, they'll hold a slice of the lower end of the market for a while with people who ride occasionally but aren't that interested in it. Those of us who ride regularly will stick with our manual shifters.

That is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.