Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why would I need a disc brake bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 02:31 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Serious question.

I have 2 caliper brake road bikes, a carbon and a titanium, and a disc brake gravel bike. Looking to buy a new bike. Why? No real reason . Well, other than the fact that my carbon is an older Pinarello, which is about 8.2kgs.

Looking at Canyon. The disc brake bikes are all about 500 grams heavier [even with the lighter framesets], and of course, more expensive. The Ultegra non disc, weighs in at 7.2kgs.

This bike will see only fair weather riding, on decent tarmac. If the new Ultegra caliper brakes takes 28mm tyres, and this frame can also do that [have to ask them], I don't see myself riding wider tyres.

So, any obvious reason that I am missing?

Also, I will travel with this bike, and the rotors are an additional issue. Will have to remove them for transport. I use a Pika soft bag.
Old 04-01-18, 03:41 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
My caliper brake bikes can throw me over bars if I really hit them hard. But I would say that disks are not a bad idea if you are using carbon wheels. I have experiments with many different brake pads and although they get close, non are as strong when it comes to braking with the carbon wheels as they are with the aluminum rims. Where I live, there are some seriously steep hills so that could be an argument for disks but again, not enough to make me buy a new bike. I have been toying with the idea of a gravel bike in the future and would likely consider a disk version of this as I would likely not be using my regular road wheel sets on that bike so compatibility is not an issue. All of that said, when I went to a disk brake mountain bike in 2003, it was a huge improvement over the V brake bike that it replaced.
Old 04-01-18, 03:49 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Functionally, two things that stick out to me are: 1) performance, if you're doing anything off-road or mucky, getting the brakes away from the wheel will be better; and 2) longevity, if you're commuting or working (courier?) and doing a lot of miles every day in city traffic, and go through standard pads every 3 months, then maybe discs are better.

Might be nice to get experience of them w/no pressure for them to perform flawlessly, it's always nice to fully understand new technology, maybe you'll absolutely love them for whatever reason; but for the recreational road user, I don't think there's a strong need or advantage.
Old 04-01-18, 04:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
After getting the gravel bike (with discs, obv), it made sense to me to go road disc as well, so that I could swap wheelsets, and other parts, between the bikes more easily. That and I just liked the braking performance more (this is with hydro).

If you need to remove the rotors for transport, def get some Centerlock hubs/rotors.
Old 04-01-18, 05:03 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Purely for on road riding, the only reason IMO is if you do a lot of hills with high speed descending. I would own a disc brake bike in a heartbeat in these conditions and as mentioned, this removes the brake track from a carbon rim which is desirable to reduce weight for climbing.

But I live in flat country so prefer the simplicity and lower cost of rim brakes.

I am therefore in the horses for courses camp. Some are more dug in with either or than me but I see the virtue of both brake types depending on riding terrain. Off road including gravel bike, disc every day.
Old 04-01-18, 05:19 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
You know your equipment and experience, If you don't see a need than you don't need it..
Old 04-01-18, 06:40 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Correct answer: you don't.

You're welcome
Old 04-01-18, 10:08 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks guys. Done. Will get the Ultegra rim brake bike. 500 grams and more than 500 Euros saved ;-)

Not ever planning carbon wheels. No riding in dirt and muck, and I would rather have interchangeability with my other road bikes than my gravel bike.
Old 04-01-18, 11:46 AM
Adonis72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If you don't need it then you don't need it. Only reason I see to have them for me is it allows me to run larger tires. I have no problem with rim brake performance and only have rolling hills near me. I have both, road bike has rim, endurance/gravel bike has disc.
Old 04-01-18, 09:12 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Thanks guys. Done. Will get the Ultegra rim brake bike. 500 grams and more than 500 Euros saved ;-)

Not ever planning carbon wheels. No riding in dirt and muck, and I would rather have interchangeability with my other road bikes than my gravel bike.
I think that's a good choice. You already have the disc gravel bike for wet commuting/wet rides and if this bike won't see any carbon rims or wet riding & will be purely tarmac and you don't live in the Dolomites, I think rims are perfectly ok. Not to mention that as the entire industry shifts towards disc, you may get some good deals on rim brake wheels!
Old 04-01-18, 09:13 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Oh boy...here we go again...
Old 04-03-18, 03:37 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Same can be asked about needing a carbon bike or power meter or 11 speeds or any upgrade not about NEED but NEWER Better or just because. The industry seems to cater to I WANT NEW but that being said DISC = Better
Old 04-03-18, 04:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have 2 caliper brake road bikes, a carbon and a titanium, and a disc brake gravel bike. Looking to buy a new bike. Why? No real reason .
If you don't even need the bikes, then for sure you don't need it to have any specific type of brakes.
Old 04-03-18, 05:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts

Agree. I know not everyone feels that way. You may wish to test-ride a road bike with hydraulic disc brakes sometime to see what you are missing, but I think you will be happy with your choice.