Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Favorite road cycling FB page?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-21, 07:42 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts

What is your favorite cycling Facebook page/group?
Old 07-02-21, 11:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
None. I follow a few local cycling groups to keep up with real life friends and for event schedules, but not for discussions about tech, etc. I avoid anything more than very brief, casual exchanges. Almost invariably they deteriorate into bickering.

Something about FB brings out the ugly in too many folks. I follow several groups ranging from cycling to local history to a photography group that I moderate. Frankly FB is a terrible platform for hobbyist and niche interest groups. And it's getting worse.

The problem is FB gives group mods/admins very little real control over their own groups. Recently FB changed policies so that, by default, all groups are wide open to posts from non-members, and posters can bypass the usual vetting process. While admins still have some control, for now I'm leaving our photography page on FB defaults to see what happens. We have so little traffic I'm not expecting much trouble. But some popular groups I follow present nonstop hassles for mods/admins from posters who will not stay on topic or join just for trolling.

And this past week FB rolled out some badly conceived, intrusive and somewhat alarming auto-generated warnings about "extremism." It appears to be completely unmanned, triggered by keywords. And the AI is so inept it cannot recognize the differences between actual extremism or hate speech, and mundane hyperbole. Merely using the words "explosive" or "shoot" in a post might trigger FB's "Yikes! Extremism!" warning. I suspect they'll soon discover it's a bad idea and withdraw the "extremism" warnings.

Meanwhile, Fakebroke continues to do nothing about actual hate speech, racism and trolling. Reporting blatantly bad behavior only generates auto-replies from FB claiming it doesn't violate their terms of service. FB is preoccupied with "sex" but ignores actually offensive stuff.

If I was serious about running a constructive discussion forum for a niche interest I'd put up a phpBB site, find a way to pay for web hosting and run it pretty much like most such sites such as bike forums. But the internet doesn't really need another iteration of most hobbyist forums.

The only reason I still have a Farcebunk account is to wish happy birthday and other encouragements to friends, plan local meetups and to watch Suckerborg's mind control experiment burn.
Old 07-03-21, 01:19 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-03-21, 04:29 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Why would you use that when we have BikeForums?
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-03-21, 08:24 AM
Adonis72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I just don't understand why anyone uses Fakebook anymore.
Old 07-03-21, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Facebook? I bet you use to have AOL!
Old 07-03-21, 10:28 AM
Adonis72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hey AOL was the jam back in the day!
Likes For Adonis72:
Old 07-03-21, 01:02 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by canklecat
None. I follow a few local cycling groups to keep up with real life friends and for event schedules, but not for discussions about tech, etc. I avoid anything more than very brief, casual exchanges. Almost invariably they deteriorate into bickering.

Something about FB brings out the ugly in too many folks. I follow several groups ranging from cycling to local history to a photography group that I moderate. Frankly FB is a terrible platform for hobbyist and niche interest groups. And it's getting worse.

The problem is FB gives group mods/admins very little real control over their own groups. Recently FB changed policies so that, by default, all groups are wide open to posts from non-members, and posters can bypass the usual vetting process. While admins still have some control, for now I'm leaving our photography page on FB defaults to see what happens. We have so little traffic I'm not expecting much trouble. But some popular groups I follow present nonstop hassles for mods/admins from posters who will not stay on topic or join just for trolling.

And this past week FB rolled out some badly conceived, intrusive and somewhat alarming auto-generated warnings about "extremism." It appears to be completely unmanned, triggered by keywords. And the AI is so inept it cannot recognize the differences between actual extremism or hate speech, and mundane hyperbole. Merely using the words "explosive" or "shoot" in a post might trigger FB's "Yikes! Extremism!" warning. I suspect they'll soon discover it's a bad idea and withdraw the "extremism" warnings.

Meanwhile, Fakebroke continues to do nothing about actual hate speech, racism and trolling. Reporting blatantly bad behavior only generates auto-replies from FB claiming it doesn't violate their terms of service. FB is preoccupied with "sex" but ignores actually offensive stuff.

If I was serious about running a constructive discussion forum for a niche interest I'd put up a phpBB site, find a way to pay for web hosting and run it pretty much like most such sites such as bike forums. But the internet doesn't really need another iteration of most hobbyist forums.

The only reason I still have a Farcebunk account is to wish happy birthday and other encouragements to friends, plan local meetups and to watch Suckerborg's mind control experiment burn.
A simple "no" would suffice. Didn't really need a lecture.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 07-03-21, 02:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Former BF stalwart Tim Schneider has numerous Facebook pages and groups related to bike touring. Sorry, couldn't post link.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 07-03-21 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 05:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
A simple "no" would suffice. Didn't really need a lecture.
If it was that simple I would have just said "no."

Unless you've owned or operated a website, discussion forum, etc., you wouldn't realize how bad Facebook is as a platform for constructive discussions. I've been an admin and mod on other hobbyist and niche interest sites for a couple of decades. And an admin on a FB group for several years. I gave FB a fair try. But it's terrible. And it's getting worse.

Social media is fine for events, scheduling and calendars. And for keeping touch with folks for local meetups. It sucks for almost everything else.

It's not even a good platform for keeping touch with family. FB may be the single most divisive platform online for families. Facebook has begun pushing every interaction from our contacts into our news feed, so we know every single comment made by family, friends and acquaintances. It's comparable to a schoolyard bully and snitch trying to instigate fights by sidling up and whispering "Hey, did you hear what so and so said? Are you gonna let him get away with that?" And suckers keep taking the bait.

Ever try to search a Facebook group for previous posts on a topic, such as a question about bike components? FB deliberately obscures that info because it doesn't serve their financial interests to be an easily searchable resource. They thrive on clicks and page views. The primary purpose of FB is to push ads and propaganda and to keep people agitated.

And you sacrifice all privacy simply by being on FB and interacting in any way. Any careless or misinterpreted comment runs the risk of being blown out of proportion. And by making it harder to run a private, insular group with carefully vetted members, FB has enabled trolling to enhance page views and interaction -- even negative interaction -- rather than serving the purposes of the niche interest groups.

At least standalone forums like this offer some level of privacy by allowing members to use aliases, even if you don't use a VPN or proxy, even if you don't block ads and scripts. Social media makes that very difficult.
Old 07-04-21, 07:08 AM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by canklecat
If it was that simple I would have just said "no."

Unless you've owned or operated a website, discussion forum, etc., you wouldn't realize how bad Facebook is as a platform for constructive discussions. I've been an admin and mod on other hobbyist and niche interest sites for a couple of decades. And an admin on a FB group for several years. I gave FB a fair try. But it's terrible. And it's getting worse.

Social media is fine for events, scheduling and calendars. And for keeping touch with folks for local meetups. It sucks for almost everything else.

It's not even a good platform for keeping touch with family. FB may be the single most divisive platform online for families. Facebook has begun pushing every interaction from our contacts into our news feed, so we know every single comment made by family, friends and acquaintances. It's comparable to a schoolyard bully and snitch trying to instigate fights by sidling up and whispering "Hey, did you hear what so and so said? Are you gonna let him get away with that?" And suckers keep taking the bait.

Ever try to search a Facebook group for previous posts on a topic, such as a question about bike components? FB deliberately obscures that info because it doesn't serve their financial interests to be an easily searchable resource. They thrive on clicks and page views. The primary purpose of FB is to push ads and propaganda and to keep people agitated.

And you sacrifice all privacy simply by being on FB and interacting in any way. Any careless or misinterpreted comment runs the risk of being blown out of proportion. And by making it harder to run a private, insular group with carefully vetted members, FB has enabled trolling to enhance page views and interaction -- even negative interaction -- rather than serving the purposes of the niche interest groups.

At least standalone forums like this offer some level of privacy by allowing members to use aliases, even if you don't use a VPN or proxy, even if you don't block ads and scripts. Social media makes that very difficult.
Again, another lecture. I'm a big boy, I can handle myself.
Old 07-04-21, 08:54 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
If you ride Zwift or Rouvy indoors there are a lot of good groups on Facebook. I am president of my local aquarium club and we have a ton of hobbyist on our private Facebook group.
Many manufactures have active mechacanic groups with training classes for users.
You get out what you put into any platform
Old 07-04-21, 12:44 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
None. Because Facebook is a terrible place for discussions.

That being said, I do subscribe to some FB groups but that's largely because there aren't better alternatives.
Old 07-04-21, 09:50 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
We have some local trail conditions and mountain biking pages which are great and extremely useful, as is the gravel one, but I have not seen a road cycling one. The cycling community here is large though. I think the FB cycling pages are more local so if you don't have a large cycling community, you may not find one.