Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

urban assault?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

urban assault?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 01:27 AM
adamtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
urban assault?

Hi! This is my first post on this forum.

I recently got real excited to ride again (it's been a few years) reading about urban assault type mountain biking.

I'm 34 now but when i was a kid I was real into what was then called bmx "street" style etc. Urban assault to me looks even more fun than riding in the desert here. (az).

(I took my bike in to the shop for a tune up since it's been in the garage the last couple years and I haven't trued a rim in more than 10. It's a GT I-Drive 5.0 - a full suspension bike.) (Follow up - Fiancee unit is going to take it over. Which means I can still ride it now and then. )

From everything I see, hard tail looks ideal for urban assault riding. In the meanwhile I will ride what I have.

Questions -

1) I have crappy clip on pedals now. What would be better for urban riding and getting rad, for now?

2) The seat post is very long right now - I think I need a much smaller one! Correct? (I'm going to hacksaw a few inches off, just enough so I can slam it.

(3) If I were to sell my GT iDrive 5.0 (anodized black and in great shape) on Craigslist, what should I ask?) Keeping it - getting another bike.

4) I will probably buy my next bike from Craigslist, and replace the parts as i break them What would be some things to look for? I'm 6' and a big guy and can be abusive. I am guessing a 24 or 26" wheel set? Why one over the other?
edit: I am trying to find a haro thread or specialized p1 or p2 to demo.

Last edited by adamtb; 04-01-08 at 11:57 AM. Reason: updates
Old 03-31-08, 09:57 PM
kill.cactus
500 Watts

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX ('05), Trek 6000 ('07)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What exactly is "urban assault" mtbing?

Is this like parkour for bikes?
Old 03-31-08, 10:30 PM
troie
:\ ping of death

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT I-drive = NOT FOR URBAN ASSAULT!

Urban assault to me looks even more fun than riding in the desert here. (az).
Youre joking right? Do you have any idea how many trails AZ has compared to NV?!

Urban is for the kiddies, stay on the trails.
Old 04-01-08, 08:40 AM
adamtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your considered opinion. (cough)

I'll do what I enjoy. I'll leave worrying about whether something is for "kiddies" or "grown-ups" to guys like you, more worried about others maintaining other peoples certainly deluded opinion that you are "grown up," than you are about doing what you like.

My fiancee decided she wants the i-Drive. I'm going to set it up for her. I'll still ride it once in a while, but I just never got into trail riding like i thought i would. I'd much prefer to shred and ride up walls.
Old 04-01-08, 08:43 AM
probable556
pedal head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamtb

1) I have crappy clip on pedals now. What would be better for urban riding and getting rad, for now?
I like to get rad clipless.
Old 04-01-08, 09:56 AM
imcrushingyerhd
Shot Caller

Bikes: '01 Fisher Joshua F3. '89 Master... I don't let go of bikes easily.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a pretty good 20" street bike for pretty cheap, new or used. I wouldn't connect my feet to pedals in any way while riding street; go platform if you end up with a mtn bike. A bit of advise: I tried getting into street riding again for the same reasons you mention, and believe me throwing a mntn bike around is much more tiring and less fun than a BMX. Check out some videos online of mtn bike street riding and watch how hard these guys have to work to throw the bike around. If you can cough up a few hundred bucks you can get a 20" and have a lot more fun riding street.
Old 04-01-08, 10:23 AM
streetlightpoet
Banned.

Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Surly 1x1, 2 70's Bianchi folders, Swingbike, Columbia Cruiser 3 spd, Specialized Big Hit and P.2, Cove G-Spot, Xtracycled Bianchi San Jose.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get some bmx platform pedals that'll give some nice grip, then cruise craigslist for something like a specialized P2 or if you can find one a Cannondale Chase. 26" wheels will be slightly faster and make it easier to get from spot to spot.
Old 04-01-08, 10:33 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Freeride hardtail or even maybe a dirt-jumper would be a good choice for what you want to do for sure. To answer your questions (kind of):

1) I'd go with some good pinned platforms. Sun-Ringle' Zuzus, Syncros Mentals, Sunline V-ones or some such come to mind. But that's me.

2) It can be long - - as long as it will drop into your frame of choice far enough to slam it when you need to. (so you can put it at a comfortable height to pedal back home from urban sessioning).

3) I have no idea. I defer to others.

4) Look for burly construction and 'assault' geometry. You might even consider 26 front/24 rear combo with a fat 24 on the back - - a little more cush for dropping off things and it will slacken the frame angles a bit to make manualling easier (or so I think, since I've yet to master manualling ). Look for rear stays wide enough to hold the largest tire you want to run.

Originally Posted by kill.cactus
What exactly is "urban assault" mtbing?
You have never engaged in this brand of fun?
Old 04-01-08, 10:53 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A green bike would make you rad in the eyes of the ladies.
Old 04-01-08, 11:18 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
^^ A green bike would give you all the charm and savoir faire of a farting llama.

Old 04-01-08, 11:51 AM
adamtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' tall and am a big guy. 20" isn't really an option for me I can't see riding a few miles on a BMX to get to some areas I could ride. Think clown on a 12" bike

I'm gradually calling around to the bike shops in town to see if anyone has a Haro Thread One (or Eight) or Specialized P1 (or P2) for me to try out.... so far - no luck! I am keeping an eye on Craigslist, too.

I live in Phoenix now and have for a while - I just never really got all that thrilled by riding in the desert. I love hiking, I'm an avid bird hunter, I love the desert. I'd just rather hike in it.

I'm 34 now and got into biking as a kid with BMX and street. I was always more into dirt jumping and street riding (wallrides, air, jumping off/over stuff, etc) than anything else. It's something I've missed in the MTB world. Am I ******** for wanting to get a single speed MTB for catching some air with again? I'm moving to San Francisco soon and am looking to riding in the city there, and in some cali skate parks if I get good enough again. I'm kind of out of shape now but I think that riding every day will definitely help, if I have a fun bike I like to ride! Or maybe it's some kind of mid-life crisis/nostalgia thing. Well I'm gonna indulge it. Either way.
Old 04-01-08, 12:02 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Transition Trail-or-Park or a Giant STP (Street/Trail/Park) would be right up your alley as well.

Hey, you are nowhere near mid-life crisis - - trust me. Now if you hit 45 and decide you're gonna take up downhill, well . . . .

Edit - I know another pretty big guy who built a real burly rig around an Identiti Mr. Hyde frame:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=303123
Old 04-01-08, 12:51 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last time I got invited out to do urban assault, I brought my commuting bike and a length of steel pipe. Good times...

p.s.: dminor is on the right track
Old 02-10-09, 01:00 PM
macten10

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm....

Last edited by macten10; 02-10-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 10:32 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Wrong kind of urban bike right there.
Old 02-10-09, 11:46 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macten10
hmm....
Necropost....
Old 02-11-09, 12:51 AM
Pocko

Bikes: MTBs, BMX, Pocket MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll do what I enjoy. I'll leave worrying about whether something is for "kiddies" or "grown-ups" to....
I agree with you adamtb, do what you enjoy. You don't need validation from anyone. If you want to ride a full-sus or hardtail MTB for urban, I say go for it.

Cedric Gracia and Steve Peat don't mind a bit of urban, but they have to go to Europe to do that. Their ride isn't very stylie but then again they're after flo and the fastest time in this final run.

Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDpF...eature=related
Old 02-11-09, 06:26 PM
dervish
unofficial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use my eastern night train for urban assualt/ DJ. it has tight geometry but still feels like you are riding a mtb. im just over 6 foot and also bmx, doesnt really feel too weird for me. just keep your mind open because a bmx is generally a lot cheaper than an urban assault

Last edited by dervish; 02-11-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:00 PM
lofnsjoke
SPOON!!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' tall and am a big guy. 20" isn't really an option for me I can't see riding a few miles on a BMX to get to some areas I could ride. Think clown on a 12" bike

the 20" refers to the frame size (basically the measurement of the seat tube), not the rim size, and would be plenty big enough for you. possibly to big.
Old 02-14-09, 04:39 AM
macten10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProFail
Necropost....
get over it. and stop crying about it.
Old 02-14-09, 04:41 AM
macten10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dervish
i use my eastern night train for urban assualt/ DJ. it has tight geometry but still feels like you are riding a mtb. im just over 6 foot and also bmx, doesnt really feel too weird for me. just keep your mind open because a bmx is generally a lot cheaper than an urban assault
thats a 24" right?, ... and bmx is generally cheaper until you add a dj fork then its about teh same price. thats a nice setup that you have there though. i was looking into a shadow conspiracy invisible man 24" dj bike.. but they discontinued it... and now its really hard to find.