Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice on a new hardtail

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Advice on a new hardtail

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 09:02 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on a new hardtail

I ride recreationally, for transportation and for fitness. I have a nice road bike and an old hardtail. the MTB I have now is ok but it's really cheap; it's very heavy and damaged from a couple of wrecks. I'm thinking of giving it to my brother and picking up a new bike.

I will use the bike for urban riding, light trail riding, and wet/snowy weather. I want to take part in some group trail rides next year.

I'm attracted to BD's Titanium XT model https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...e/fpti_09x.htm but I don't know much about MTBs. I could order it and pick it up next time I fly into the states. I like the idea of a titanium bike with such a low weight. I wouldn't call it a beater but I want a bike I can toss around a bit. Any owners want to talk about this bike? I'm also open to learning about other light hardtails with similar components for the same price or less.

thanks
Old 01-18-10, 12:20 PM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that's not a bike most people wanna "toss" around on a regular basis. That said, I did a two foot drop on a carbon hardtail last fall.
I guess it's about your skill on landing your "tosses". If you feel confident in your ability to "toss" the bike gently, it could do a lot of things it wasn't designed to do.
Old 01-18-10, 12:24 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Sorry, I just bought the last one in stock. Thanks for the hook up. Seriously though, that looks like an excellent package for the money. He who hesitates is lost.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-22-10, 05:08 AM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Yeah that's not a bike most people wanna "toss" around on a regular basis. That said, I did a two foot drop on a carbon hardtail last fall.
I guess it's about your skill on landing your "tosses". If you feel confident in your ability to "toss" the bike gently, it could do a lot of things it wasn't designed to do.
Sorry, I just meant be able to drop it on the ground and stuff. The highest i'd be dropping off of is a curb. You should be able to treat brushed titanium pretty rough without worrying about scraping and stuff right? I love my carbon road bike but i'm constantly worrying about damaging it.
Old 01-22-10, 03:35 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like any other material, titanium can be damaged without any visual cues. Just be careful with your shiny new ride?