Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choosing handlebars for my first build. Wide or narrow?? Pro's and con's of both?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Choosing handlebars for my first build. Wide or narrow?? Pro's and con's of both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 07:00 PM
vledaD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i'm nearing my build, my first build. I might do a "my first build" thread, or just post some pics after its done.

I got handlebars and a stem for it, but I got it in a hurry (at the time) off ebay. I didn't pay enough attention and turned out that the stem has an insanely sharp angle. And its for 25.4 bars. The bar is that size too. So i decided to go ahead and buy some proper gear instead. I'm not upset because I paid no more than $10 for the bars and stem in the first place. I'll use them for a single speed build I'm planning, or something like that.

So I'm doing 31.8 bars/stem. I did some calculations and i think i'm going with 100-110mm stem. Not sure of the degree angle, maybe 6-10. But I figured i might as well have a collection of stems to keep around.

Now to the bars. How wide? I'm leaning towards narrow bars for some reason. why woudl anyone want 48cm wide bars? Unless theyre a very tall and big person. I'm about 5'8-5'9, and i think it would be more comfortable with liek a 40cm bar.

But then again i don't have experience. What do you guys think? whats a good medium?
Old 05-19-11, 07:07 PM
BotByte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Width depends on how much balance you have IMO

I used some wide ones, without knowing when I started out on road biking and it felt normal

Then I bought a different bike and found the bars to be more narrow.

It took me a while, but I found I had to practice my balance and strengthen my arms to be able to control the bike properly.

Not to further confuse you, but have you tried mustache bars? If you find that you don't use the drops in your bars as often, mustache bars would be the way to go.
Old 05-19-11, 07:13 PM
vledaD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use drops, and i'd like to get ergo bars for my road bike. I like to go fast sometimes. yea so you've reaffirmed my want of narrower bars. But how narrow is too narrow? Is 40cm too small?
Old 05-19-11, 07:19 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my old bike had 44 cm bars. those were too wide for me (i'm 5'11'', but i'm not even sure height is the relevant dimension here). the result was that my shoulders/neck/back got sore after being on the bike for long enough. my arms were spread too wide and couldn't effectively support my body. however, i'll admit it's also possible i wasn't fitted well enough and simply had too much weight on my hands, and that the bars themselves might not have been entirely responsible.

my current bike was supposed to come with 42 cm bars, but when i got fitted, i found out they were actually more like 40 cm. those felt better than the 44 cm, but actually a little too narrow - i felt like my wrists were at an awkward angle on the hoods because my arms were angled slightly inward.

during the fit, i switched to real 42 cm bars (also had deeper drop, longer reach...all part of the reason for changing). much better.

basically, i think bar width - even just a 2 cm difference - can have a significant impact on bike comfort and fit. some people might be comfortable with a range, but at least figure out how wide your shoulders are and go from there. handlebars should be roughly shoulder width (although i'm not sure of the correct measuring technique).
Old 05-19-11, 07:21 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by vledaD
I use drops, and i'd like to get ergo bars for my road bike. I like to go fast sometimes. yea so you've reaffirmed my want of narrower bars. But how narrow is too narrow? Is 40cm too small?
1) Generally you want the handlebars to be as wide as your shoulders, with 44cm wide being an average male size
2) Some bars are measured center-to-center so you'd get there with a 42cm bar
3) A narrower bar may be more aerodynamic
4) You may breathe better with a wider bar
Old 05-20-11, 05:01 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
1) Generally you want the handlebars to be as wide as your shoulders, with 44cm wide being an average male size
2) Some bars are measured center-to-center so you'd get there with a 42cm bar
3) A narrower bar may be more aerodynamic
4) You may breathe better with a wider bar

I agree with this. shoulder width opens up your chest assisting with breathing, especially while climbing. Narrower bars are more aero, but not enough you'll notice a difference. The compact bars, such as 3T ergonovas, are narrow anyway. I got a set in size 42, but that's measured from the bottom of the drops, the tops are only 40. so, be aware when you buy. Good luck!!
Old 05-20-11, 05:40 AM
STP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This comment has a little more bearing on flat bar mountain bikes than drop bar road bikes, but if you're a climber or you're in the mountains and climb for extended periods of time, the narrower the bars (regardless of type) the less leverage you have when pushing/pulling with your arms. I wouldn't have any problem at all with narrow bars on long, flat rides.
Old 05-20-11, 05:44 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not really that aero, but way comfy!!