Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fat and confused in a world of predators.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-23, 11:26 PM
GoatWhip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I bought a used fat ebikes last spring. It's fun , but it's getting to be a pit.

The first thing I did was get new tires , heavy duty tubes and slime.

I do a lot of research on my projects and this course of action was highly recommended.

I'm a bicycle guy so I knew I wanted to start out with new rubber.

The 2nd was upgrade to hydrolic brakes. This made a world of difference and anyone still using cable brakes for any ebike is an idiot.

​​It started popping spokes so I took it and got the wheel tuned up which lasted all spring and summer, but now it's starting to break spokes again.

Last week it just quit running suddenly and I figured the cheapo controller it came with finally gave up and I got a 30a replacement and new display.

I tested it and it puts out the current, but it's not driving the motor , which is telling me the motor is played out so now I'm thinking of getting a better motor than the G06 750w.

​​​​​​My research has helped some great news. Bafang has 2 new model which have a 2 speed internal gearbox. The H720 or sometimes called G062A is the fat bike version and comes in 48v and different wattages up to 1000.

The H710 is MTB width and only 1 wattage variant.

The bad news is I can't find them...

I've spent countless hours on AliE and similar platforms contacting reps but only once did I fibd someone who said she has them for $150 USD. Great huh? $350 shipping. And I'm not even completely sure they're not full of crappola. I offered to buy 2 if shipping was that much but they wanted another 350 for the 2nd motor as well. This tells me they're playing games so I've been looking for other alternatives but there's very little resource for good information.

Ive looked at MXUS motors which looks great , but no one can tell me if it's plug and play like an Bafang and work with my controller so I haven't even ordered one yet.

I see the Bafang motors for sale all over the place, but on eBay they're overpriced and on aliexpress the way it's put out there you're not even sure what you're ordering. Asking questions doesn't seem to help as no one can give a straight answer.

I'd be happy with A G062 or 63 and I'm actually thinking about ordering an entire new wheel but 26x4 isn't easy to find with a higher wattage motor.

Again, the platforms are very convoluted and I can't afford to make a $300 mistake.

Does anyone have any resources they'd share for motors, wheels , parts ect. Where it's easy to actually get what you want ?

And help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-23, 05:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked 6,617 Times in 3,791 Posts
Thread moved from Fatbikes to Ebikes.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 09-30-23, 06:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 624 Posts
It's unlikely the Bosch will work with your system since everything that I've seen from them needs a dedicated frame. Examine the motor kits at YESCOM. They're direct drive (look it up on ebikesca) and only about $275 delivered. I've had a couple, and while heavy, they worked fine. If you want more power, there's a company that sells on Amazon and the kit (reportedly with MXUS unbranded motors) for $600 or so, but make sure that your battery is capable of providing enough current and has or can be retrofit with the necessary connectors. There are others, but this will provide a start.
Old 09-30-23, 06:31 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
Ahhh the wonderful world of repairing ebikes.
What you are describing is the normal state of affairs for bike shops when trying to repair an ebike.
Generally ebikes sold in bike shops are easier to get replacement parts for but not always as lately most parts are out of stock due to the huge need for them.
Internet purchased ebikes can be a nightmare to repair as it is very very difficult to find the 'exact' replacement part and they too are usually out of stock.
Trying to contact the maker/supplier...Bafang, etc. is even more difficult as they don't seem to have any idea on whether the part is an exact replacement and generally don't even respond to emails, etc.
I work in a bike shop and probably 30% of our repairs/service is ebikes, scooters, etc. Gawd they are a nightmare. Tube sizes are all over the place and even worst is the valve...they are often very directional...the valve stem may need to be 45 degrees at the mid point but at which direction...some are parallel with the wheel, some are at an angle, etc. Our normal suppliers don't carry them and Amazon/eBay have to be used. Most come direct from China and you often have no idea what they are sending and there are NO returns. We don't buy them...that is the customers responsibility.
Manufacturers often make changes to control panels, etc. and while they state on their website it will work with "all" their ebikes, that is not the case.
Just diagnosing an electronics/electrical problem can take over an hour...checking the current on all the wires to try to find the short.
Most of the problems are caused by the riders using them as daily transportation...using them far more and far more harshly than intent...they are not built to handle the use/abuse especially trying to bring them up stairs...whew they are heavy lol...etc. The owners just grab and drag often damaging the wire connections. We also have a lot of repairs to the brakes, headsets, forks, etc. again due to hard use/abuse...not a difficult repair but more time consuming than a non ebike because of the extra work/difficulty when removing the rear wheel due to the motor, wiring, tight confines, etc.
Just trying to lift one up on a stand is very hard when some weigh 80lbs...we have to use straps/come alongs and are looking at a ebike specific lift because we service so many.
Old 09-30-23, 10:04 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Bafang often announces nee stuff long before you can find it in the USA. I don't know what to tell you if $300 is a lot of money for you other than maybe you should cut bait and abandon your current project and save up for something elese.
If you are handy enough to build yourself, I could suggest buying from greenbikekit.com. I have dealt with them on more than one occasion and they have been very good to deal with.