Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I had a nightmare last night

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I had a nightmare last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 04:31 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
^Jealous of you retiree's! One hour into the work week and I'm already turned back into Sam Kinison! I hate this place and can't see how I'm going to make it three more years.....
Believe me, I know how you feel. When I clocked in every day, I told my co-workers: "This job sucks! Kill me!". About 5-6 years before the earliest day I was eligible to retire, I wrote a spreadsheet program that counted down how many work days I had left. I factored in RDOs, vacation days and holidays. I actually went two weeks past the first possible day, just to make the bookkeeping simpler. This way my last check, that included pay for unused vacation days, didn't get screwed up. Good luck. If I made it, so can you.
Old 04-29-24, 04:35 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
LOL, that is a bad dream. I had a weird one a couple weeks ago, I got an e-bike which burst in to flames.
Come on...Admit that you torched it with a can of kerosene and watched it roast like a campfire marshmallow.

Old 04-29-24, 04:43 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I dreamt I owned a carbon fiber bike. But, it turned out well. In the dream, I was showing a friend where the frame cracked at the bottom bracket and I swore to him that I would never buy another carbon fiber frame.
That shows a good deal of lucidity, being able to turn the dream dynamic around like that. I call those "victory dreams". It means your conscious mind and sub-conscious are working in sync. To turn the dream around and not let your fears call the shots takes courage, too. Speaking of fears, I hope your dream seeds mine tonight and if I see a carbon fibre bike, I'll run, screaming, from the scene.

Old 04-29-24, 05:46 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
^Jealous of you retiree's! One hour into the work week and I'm already turned back into Sam Kinison! I hate this place and can't see how I'm going to make it three more years.....
I might have still been working if not for the company's short sightedness. They failed to maintain a pipeline of qualified workers, so we were constantly working overtime to cover vacancies. Twelve hour shifts and constantly rotating between days and nights. I decided it was better to live modestly for a couple years until I start SS than to die on the job from stress or fatigue. Ironically, it was all the overtime that made it possible to go early.
Old 04-29-24, 07:57 PM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
I dreamt I owned a carbon fiber bike.
Sorry, I blew coffee out the left nostril before I could read more!

Here, lemme clean the screen...
Old 05-01-24, 10:31 PM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Pantah
I agree, definitely very unique designs and I'd wanted one ever since they were still new. My brother's second shop he worked at was a BMC dealer back in the day and they caught my eye from the get-go. Couldn't afford (or find) one until a couple of years ago.

Both good looking bikes. Your Team Machine has the paint scheme I was hoping for but had to settle with something a bit more muted.
Very nice! I've only seen photos online of the all-black Team Machines. Not that any first-gen Team Machine is typically seen out and about these days but the all-black versions are rarely seen. I've also seen a black version that has the aluminum lugs painted a contracting silvery grey.

Is yours a satin black paint or can you see the carbon weave under a satin clear coat? My bike's paint scheme was the first iteration of the red, white, and black (naked carbon actually) paint schemes. [/QUOTE]
Old 05-02-24, 10:17 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
Very nice! I've only seen photos online of the all-black Team Machines. Not that any first-gen Team Machine is typically seen out and about these days but the all-black versions are rarely seen. I've also seen a black version that has the aluminum lugs painted a contracting silvery grey.

Is yours a satin black paint or can you see the carbon weave under a satin clear coat? My bike's paint scheme was the first iteration of the red, white, and black (naked carbon actually) paint schemes.
It's a satin clear so you can see the carbon weave, rather cool if you ask me. Same with the fork.
I remember the more colorful BMC's being the dominant options on the shelf at the one BMC dealer in town. I did miss my chance right after I bought mine to get a 61cm Team Phonak frame on ebay. That would have been cool but the green wasn't what I wanted.

And you're right about seeing first-gen Team Machines on the road, there's hardly any of them. Even when they were new you never really saw them out and about. I don't think there were many BMC dealers. The newer ones are a bit more common these days.

I was on a motorcycle ride a few years ago, tracing my normal bike loop (didn't have time for a long ride) and came across my brother working an aid station for a century ride. A guy rolled up on an early second-gen Team Machine in about my size and my brother joked with the guy that I'd buy it off of him. Probably would have if he'd been interested.