Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2" vs 1 1/4" Hitch mounted Bike Rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 09:58 AM
cltech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Generally speaking, are the 2" hitch mounted bike racks built any differently (i.e. more solid/sturdy) than the 1 1/4" hitch mounted versions? The hitch receiver on my car only accepts a 1 1/4" hitch mount, so I was wondering if it made any sense (if the 2" hitch mounted bike racks are built better) to buy the 2" bike rack, and then get the 2" --> 1 1/4" hitch adapter, or am I better off just getting a 1 1/4" hitch mounted bike rack?

Thank you all in advanced.

Tim
Old 08-12-15, 10:19 AM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2" racks are more stable with the bigger receiver, but you are unlikely to see this benefit with an adapter.
Old 08-12-15, 10:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
with a 2" on the car, you can also tow a trailer.. consider replacing the part attached to the car frame.

or get the 1.25" rack maybe max 3 bikes. 2 better load.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-12-15 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 10:25 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cltech
Generally speaking, are the 2" hitch mounted bike racks built any differently (i.e. more solid/sturdy) than the 1 1/4" hitch mounted versions? The hitch receiver on my car only accepts a 1 1/4" hitch mount, so I was wondering if it made any sense (if the 2" hitch mounted bike racks are built better) to buy the 2" bike rack, and then get the 2" --> 1 1/4" hitch adapter, or am I better off just getting a 1 1/4" hitch mounted bike rack?

Thank you all in advanced.

Tim
The adapter will actually make it less stable since it will stick it out further from the car. Go with the rack designed for your vehicle.
Old 08-12-15, 10:32 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would probably stick with 1 1/4" if I was you, however...

the 1 1/4" bike racks are lighter, and weaker. I actually bent one I had by leaning on the bike as I was removing it from the rack. I have not had this happen with racks built for 2" hitches. I was able to bend it back up, but at least the specific model (and I forget what it was) got me to look at racks to fit my 2" receiver without an adapter. If you don't lean on them, they are probably strong enough, but I like my stuff to be over-engineered.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-12-15, 01:59 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Not only will running an adapter make it less stable it will also greatly increase the leverage the rack puts on your hitch or in other words the tongue weight so NOOOOOOOOO adapters.
Old 08-12-15, 02:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked 5,442 Times in 2,765 Posts
I agree that the adapters should be avoided. Go with what fits your receiver. If you want a rack to carry more than a couple of bikes, I think the platform type may prove more stable.
Old 08-12-15, 04:29 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
A trailer hitch adapter reduced the maximum tongue weight of the hitch by 50%. So,
Class i hitch tongue weight goes from 200 to 100 pounds
Class ii hitch tongue weight goes from 350 to 175 pounds

You need to find out what class hitch you have on vehicle and calculate the maximum tongue weight the hitch is allowed. Now just because you may have Class ii hitch you also need to consult your owners manual to find out what maximum tongue weight is, usually 10% of the towing capacity (if in doubt consult your dealer about tongue weight and a bike carrier). Now that you know the maximum tongue weight calculate the weight of the rack and bikes to determine if you exceed the capacity). If you don't exceed capacity you could probably add an adapter.

Keep in mind the some racks have a different style shank for 2" vs. 1 1/4" (i.e. Kuat). The shank on the 2" is straight and the shank on the 1 1/4 inch is curved up. With and adapter and 2 inch shank the rack may set far enough away from the vehicle to drag the ground on bumps and big dips in the road.

IMHO - when dealing with a 1 1/4 inch receiver it is best to skip the adapter route and purchase a rack specific to your receiver. There are plenty of nice options out there.
Old 08-12-15, 05:45 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
There are several racks that are made to work with either size, the adapter on them is to go from 1 1/4" to 2"
Old 08-12-15, 07:55 PM
Legacy2

Bikes: 2015 Trek X-Caliber 7, 2016 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure if you are talking about a platform or a "hanging" rack. But here's what I learned. We ordered a platform type for 2 bikes to put on our 2" receiver. 2" will be stronger and steadier (less sway) than the 1 1/2". You may be tempted to go with a cheaper rack but you do get what you pay for with this. Remember that this rack will be hanging on the back of your vehicle with your bikes. You definitely don't need a "failure" back there resulting in an accident for the car following you! Peace of mind is priceless!

Also, food for thought. After researching, I noticed that I needed to pay attention to the weight per bike. Some racks have weight limitations for each bike that a mountain bike might exceed. Watch for the total loaded weight also. I have a Trek 3500 disc that actually came close to being overweight at 27 pounds. My husband's large frame Giant Talon 29er was over by a few pounds! I was very surprised! Also, if you have a bike with 29" tires or "fat" tires, double check to make sure the platform rack will handle the tire size before you make a purchase. Also, read customer reviews! Lots of good tips there!

Legacy2

Last edited by Legacy2; 08-12-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 08:16 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 1 1/4" hitch on my car, it's a Scion xB--- I don't think they make anything except a 1 1/4" for any small cars. The only thing I ever tow is a 3x4' trailer with a roof rack pod mounted on it--- maybe 100 lbs, 250 lbs max, loaded with the two folders and some odd luggage. At any rate, the bike carrier I got just had a polymer sleeve over the arm on the carrier that adapted ut to a 2" hitch. I removed it, so the carrier just slips into the hitch. I also shortened the hanger arms on the carrier, since I never carry more than 2 bikes at a time, anyway. (It had space for 4.) From some of the posts, I gather that some of them must have an adapter that attaches between the carrier and the hitch, putting the carrier farther away from the vehicle. Surely someone makes a sleeve type that will slip over a 1 1/4" carrier. (Mine is a tad wobbly, but it's a fold down type with a hinge and a pin that lets you lower it so you can open the rear hatch without unbolting it.)
Old 08-13-15, 10:16 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In 1 1/4", a 2 bike platform is the biggest you can fit. You need to use an adapter (or better, a different hitch) for a platform rack for more than 2 bikes; they're all 2"

You can find 4-bike "hanging" hitch racks in 1 1/4". But those hanging racks are sized by the same guys who size tents. Ever try to fit 4 adults in a 4-man tent? Ever try to fit 4 bikes on a 4-place hanging rack? Contortions are required in either case.

Some light duty 2" hitch racks are actually 1 1/4" racks with a sleeve adapter. Those seem to work fine with not too much wobble. The 1 1/4" to 2" adapters sold at Harbor Freight wobble like crazy.
Old 10-17-22, 10:32 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
When I had my hitch installed on my car, I asked if it was 1.25 or 2 inch. They told me they don’t make a 2” for my car and wondered what I planned to tow with a VW Bug. It’s perfect for my bike rack. The rack doesn’t touch the paint on my car and neither does the bike.
Old 10-19-22, 07:43 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 447 Posts
Before purchasing a rack that mounts on your railer hitch, make sure that you can get your trailer hitch out!
Old 10-19-22, 07:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
this zombie thread got bumped by a spammer and the OP is long gone. Closing