Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 520 Edge Plus - how to save locations, create a new route?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 07:14 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I just acquired this device and I'm struggling with the navigation part of it.

I know how to create a route in RidewithGPS and save it to the Garmin. However, at times, I want to abandon the route and navigate to a new location. The most common scenario is, I want to get home. I know how to save my house location as a Saved Location on the device itself. But, is there anyway to create and edit Saved Locations on my Android phone or (best case) on my laptop and then synch it to my Garmin? I haven't found a way.

Second case is I want to create a new route. I'm guessing this is not possible on the Garmin itself but can I do this with my phone and then upload it to the Garmin using Bluetooth? Ideally, I'd like to use Google maps or RidewithGPS but I'm willing to use another app if it works well.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-18, 06:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
You are going to need either cell data or WiFi to create a new course out in the field, as it where, but IMO the Garmin Connect website is the easiest method to create a new route from a phone. You then use the Connect app on the phone to BT send it to the device.

I’ve never had an luck attempting a new “course” as Garmin calls it from the Android/iOS device using the Connect App, which is why I just open Connect as a website in the phone browser then go to Training -Courses and create a new route. Once saved, close out and then launch the Android Connect app. The course should show up as one of your courses, you then send to the 520 and launch navigate.
Old 09-19-18, 05:40 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Thanks for the input. What about saved locations? Can you only save your current location on the device?
Old 09-20-18, 06:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
Thanks for the input. What about saved locations? Can you only save your current location on the device?
I'm thinking saved locations is device specific as it's not anything I've ever seen as options on Garmin Connect, which would be the most likely place Garmin would allow you to see this off the device. As I've never used it I cannot offer further advice except to peruse the Garmin forum.

There is as note a bunch of information that gets saved on the device that does not get sent anywhere. Activity Profiles as example, are not something you can modify except on the device.

Note that part of the issue you are going to run into is what new route to follow and how to create it. The current scenario is you created a navigable route (RWGPS, Connect, etc...) and have been following that route. Presumably when you created that route off-line, you knew in advance where you wanted to go and what roads (assuming road riding) you wanted to take. Then you get out there and decide to not use that route, want to create another and need a method to do so. At that point you could choose to let the device choose a new route to a saved location (Home) and follow that, trusting that the device can generate a decent route to follow (iffy). Or you can use a web browser on Android/iOS to generate a new route in RWGPS or Connect. Note that there is a free app that allows RWGPS maps to be dumped to a device from you phone app via BT, can't remember what is is called and I never had luck with it. I have had luck with Connect, so I use that.