Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 500 Buttons Problem

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 08-08-15, 12:14 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

This is the second time I've had this problem. I've had this Garmin Edge 500 unit for about a year. Within the last few weeks, the rubber around each of the four buttons has deteriorated (all at roughly the same time) to the point that the buttons don't push properly, they don't click and "activate" the appropriate function, and the rubber plugs that are the buttons are detached and will eventually fall out. I've taped over the buttons, and with some fiddling I've gotten all the buttons to work, but now my Garmin is literally held together with scotch tape, and I wonder how long that will last. Other than the buttons, the unit works just fine.

The thing is, this is the second time this happened to me. I had my first Garmin unit for a bit over a year, and exactly the same thing happened. I contacted Garmin, and they were pretty good about replacing it, but now I have the same problem with the second unit. I'm sure it's out of warrantee, so I don't know what, if anything, they'll do for me this time.

Has anyone else run into this problem? When I called Garmin, the guy on the phone sounded surprised when I described the issue, and said he'd never heard of it before. But I can't imagine what I've done to destroy the buttons, if this isn't a common thing. I do use it a lot, every day for my commute and trips around town. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen the same issue.
Old 10-15-18, 02:37 PM
byte_speed
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've developed the same problem with the start/stop buttons on both my Edge 500's (which are quite old now)..

It still works, but not real well and I worry it will let in water.

What to do?

Jerry
Old 10-15-18, 11:10 PM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's the back cover that has worn out, guys, and you'll have to replace it. The red color seems to deteriorate quickest. You can find the used part on eBay at $14.99 or less. I have bought this item 3 times. It now comes with the battery, making the procedure much easier. You'll need a #5 torx driver and a very small Philips head screwdriver to take things apart. So order your part, buy the tools, check out the YouTube video and go to work. LMK if you need links.
Old 10-15-18, 11:30 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I just noticed this on my 500 yesterday.