Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 12:26 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This thread would be much more entertaining if it were in A&S.
Yup, only 2 pages in 2 days. So disappointing.
Old 10-25-18, 12:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Worst experience I had with a driver, gal was in a Prius plastered with bumper stickers. She clipped my elbow (no injury, fortunately) and pulled over in front of me and let me have it for taking up space on her road.
Complete the irony by telling us you were riding a hybrid bike.
Old 10-25-18, 12:29 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Can we then agree that nearly everyone out driving on the road is equally decent?
Yes. If we're honest.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-25-18, 12:32 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Lol... well, sorta... I was on my cyclocross bike with road tires.
Old 10-25-18, 12:42 PM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What are you people doing to piss people off? I've been riding on roads for 30 years(for more than 50 years if I start counting from childhood) and have never been harassed or endangered by anyone.

(Just kidding with the question)
Old 10-25-18, 12:52 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Well...studies show that Audi drivers are the biggest d1cks on the road, followed by BMW drivers. Hey, I don't make this stuff up.
I was sitting here trying to think of the specific car and this triggered my memory. Some of the worst encounters I've had have been with Audis. Worst was being followed VERY closely down a steep, winding descent, and i was NOT moving slowly. When the driver passed me he took a moment to brake check me. I was seeing red and started yelling every expletive I could think of. Riders going up the hill on the other side must have thought I was nuts.
Old 10-25-18, 01:32 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Over the years I was cycling almost exclusively, I rode tens of thousands of miles, with very few problems from drivers. In fact, the only two I recall that were actually aggressively-angry at me for existing on two wheels were the Prius girl and a couple of rednecks in a Hyundai who blocked two lanes on a bridge to yell at me. As I rode closer to them, they hustled back into the car and took off. I was pretty buff back then.
Everything else, probably a handful of incidents and only one resulting in damage to my bike, were absent minded or otherwise incompetent to be out there on or in any vehicle.
Old 10-25-18, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Would that make it two vehicles or four?
Old 10-25-18, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Metieval
interesting observation....
the cyclist that seem to have trouble. Have an abundance of trouble.
while other cyclist the bad interactions with 4 wheels with steering wheels is Rare and totally random.
while geography might play a part, I have to wonder if it isn't more of a Bad attitude attracts a bad attitude problem.
I think it is mostly geography, but who knows? I certainly don't get into any problems with bicyclists and pedestrians on any regular basis, but I know there are certain roads and areas where I can just expect someone to start screaming at me out of a motor vehicle window for no apparent reason. Maybe I have a funny expression on my face that causes drivers 50-75 feet away to scream at me through their windows while I'm riding way over in the breakdown lane on the other side of a rumble strip?

I can tell you certain intersections in the Boston area where there will be a confrontation going on every 10 minutes or so that may or may not involve a cyclist--busy 5 way intersections tend to bring out the worst in people. I can also tell you about places in Boston where you could ride for many many hours never hearing anything more unpleasant than "good morning"

I'd have to say that the vast majority of people who do nasty things to me while riding like buzzing me, screaming at me and coal rolling are people coming up from behind me, so unless I'm somehow projecting bad attitude out of my butt, color me a bit dismissive of your wonderment..
Old 10-25-18, 02:37 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seamuis

ive been pushed off the side of the road, nearly (purposely) run over, had drivers purposely pull toward me into a bicycle lane, had diesels ‘roll coal’ many times. All of these have been white males in trucks. I wouldn’t say any of them lacked skills, but instead lacked maturity and empathy for the lives they are purposely putting in danger. Why they are all truck drivers I don’t know, but as I already said, I live in the south, so I’m not surprised.

i would lump bad drivers into two categories:
1. People like these truck drivers
2. People who lack skills or who are distracted and/or frustrated behind the wheel.

the first type purposely endanger people seemingly for a laugh, the other just have bad encounters and vent anger or frustration. (As cyclists we know this feeling as well). The first type are probably the most well known and most hated, but in the big picture it’s the second type that’s broadly, far more dangerous. Getting back to my earlier rant about the need to get back to the understanding that driving is a privilege not a right. The first type are most likely to end up in prison and without a license at some point anyway.
I have never had a problem with a particular vehicle type but a particular type of person, fat dude or woman chomping on their doughnut and yelling at me for crossing at a cross walk and they aren't smart enough to know that when it reads 25 it means you have 25 seconds left to cross.
I just happen to be one of those jacked up, beefed up diesel pick-up truck drivers, and yes it will roll smoke and lay rubber and yes it does give me a semi sometimes, but I have never used my truck to cause discomfort or as a scare tactic on anyone nor have the people I know who drive the same thing. Your utter disdain for this type of truck makes me wonder if a guy driving just that stole a girlfriend or wife?
Old 10-25-18, 02:41 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Off piste pista
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men. This is what the people who are always trying to hit me with their trucks drive.

I was on the roads of rural Colorado, or Colorado's little Alabama when a truck just like this drove up at me at about 120mph and tried to run me off a ditch. I swerved out and he drove away. There were a bunch of white supremacist stickers on the rear windshield.
Honestly??? I would be willing to bet 99% of the trucks that look like that couldn't reach 90mph or even 80mph for an extended time, let alone 120mph.
Old 10-25-18, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rock71
I have never had a problem with a particular vehicle type but a particular type of person, fat dude or woman chomping on their doughnut and yelling at me for crossing at a cross walk and they aren't smart enough to know that when it reads 25 it means you have 25 seconds left to cross.
I just happen to be one of those jacked up, beefed up diesel pick-up truck drivers, and yes it will roll smoke and lay rubber and yes it does give me a semi sometimes, but I have never used my truck to cause discomfort or as a scare tactic on anyone nor have the people I know who drive the same thing. Your utter disdain for this type of truck makes me wonder if a guy driving just that stole a girlfriend or wife?

Two things can be true at the same time. The vast majority of pickup drivers are fine. Like I've said above, I've had very pleasant interactions with drivers of such vehicles when on my bike.

On the other hand, a disproportionate number of the people who have gone out of their way to give me a hard time while biking have been driving or riding in pickup trucks. As your post implies, it can be a very nasty vehicle when misused, no girlfriend stealing required for that bad impression to last.
Old 10-25-18, 03:00 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neither, it is just an observation

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
geezz don't know if you are racist or sexist
It is just an observation and I am only telling the truth.
Old 10-25-18, 03:04 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually quite like old offroad trucks, but some drivers are @ssholes.

It is just an observation that I noticed on the roads. I have no problem against the vehicle. But is is what these people tend to drive.
Old 10-25-18, 03:04 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Off piste pista
It is just an observation and I am only telling the truth.
thats fine. My observation is with any older man white black green or blue when they are driving an old pickup all they do is mosey along going as slow as snails.. We should all be that relaxed.
Old 10-25-18, 03:07 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Lol at such an absurd assumption. I don’t know if I’m supposed to be flattered or offended at this remark. First of all, I’m divorced, but my ex-wife is Fil-British and lives in London. Secondly, I’m single and other than my ex-wife, I haven’t had a relationship since I was in high school. I mean, you really thought this was a smart assumption? Good god, that’s hilarious. Look mate, I live in the south, and there are very few places in the south that are ‘friendly’ to cyclists. I’m also a full time commuter, so I’m on the road every single day.

every one of these things has actually happened. They’ve all been white males in trucks. It’s jist a fact. The guy who tried to run me over, testified in court that he didn’t know me, and I didn’t know him. It was all captured on the cycliq cameras that I have on my road bike. For the record, I’m a courteous cyclist who obeys all traffic laws, and a volunteer mechanic and board member of my cities bicycle advocacy assoc. i mean Jesus man, I literally laughed out loud in a restaurant, reading that nonsense. I think I struck a nerve and you feel personally attacked, which is pretty pathetic. Also, I have no disdain for any vehicle. I’m from Texas. I used to own a Silverado 1500 Z71. Thanks for the laugh though.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-25-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 03:10 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of cyclists say that if it is a black doge dually, they they will have a gun under their seat and will shoot you dead. Funny they say that, because when I was 5 I had a friend who's dad drove one and he was a cyclist. He also owned a titanium bike company, and was a designer for diamondback. That was long ago and I hardly remember it. All that I really remember is that he took the inner tubes out of the dually or something and used them as river tubes.
Old 10-25-18, 03:59 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think it is mostly geography, but who knows?

I'd have to say that the vast majority of people who do nasty things to me while riding like buzzing me, screaming at me and coal rolling are people coming up from behind me, so unless I'm somehow projecting bad attitude out of my butt, color me a bit dismissive of your wonderment..
Well then, this is all I need to know about MA and Boston and New England.
Old 10-25-18, 04:00 PM
Metieval

Honestly??? I would be willing to bet 99% of the trucks that look like that couldn't reach 90mph or even 80mph for an extended time, let alone 120mph.
this, but agenda > facts
Old 10-25-18, 04:01 PM
Metieval

Turbo? you are welcome to roll by me as many times as you want!!!!
Old 10-25-18, 04:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Age & typical stereotypes play a bigger factor then the vehicle itself.
Old 10-25-18, 05:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
interesting observation....

the cyclist that seem to have trouble. Have an abundance of trouble.

while other cyclist the bad interactions with 4 wheels with steering wheels is Rare and totally random.

while geography might play a part, I have to wonder if it isn't more of a Bad attitude attracts a bad attitude problem.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think it is mostly geography, but who knows? I certainly don't get into any problems with bicyclists and pedestrians on any regular basis, but I know there are certain roads and areas where I can just expect someone to start screaming at me out of a motor vehicle window for no apparent reason.

Maybe I have a funny expression on my face that causes drivers 50-75 feet away to scream at me through their windows while I'm riding way over in the breakdown lane on the other side of a rumble strip
?

I can tell you certain intersections in the Boston area where there will be a confrontation going on every 10 minutes or so that may or may not involve a cyclist--busy 5 way intersections tend to bring out the worst in people.

I can also tell you about places in Boston where you could ride for many many hours never hearing anything more unpleasant than "good morning"

Well then, this is all I need to know about MA and Boston and New England.
this, but agenda > facts
I don’t think you’'ll find road signs more welcoming than the one pictured below in Metro Boston, where the streets are paved with gold.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-25-18 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 05:03 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Intentionally - rednecks in trucks

Unintentionally - teenagers in anything
Old 10-25-18, 05:03 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?I don’t think you’’ll find road signs more welcoming than the one pictured below in Metro Boston, where the streets are paved with gold.
I am not the one that gave the MA population its nick
Old 10-25-18, 05:14 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not really an automobile, but I witnessed a 6 year old learning how to ride a bike on a narrow trail, he was swerving a lot. There was a 70 year old who was on one of these and tried to run the 6 year old over. The 70 year old then blamed it on the 6 year old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.