Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"Salmon-ing" on a Sidewalk?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-19-19, 07:43 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

On my "short-cut" commute into work, I'm encountering a cyclist who is salmon-ing (biking against traffic), but on a sidewalk. I will refrain from commenting on what else this cyclist is or is not doing as this will surely divert the topic.

As this cyclist also happens to be commuting to the same office park where I work, would I be "within bounds" to make a comment, or should I keep to myself?
Old 03-19-19, 07:51 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
I would say it's definitely with in bounds. You might make sure you know cycling law as it applies in your locale.

Have a definite "conversation." if the opportunity arises. Have solid reasoning & patience. He may genuinely not know & is riding as he was taught as a pedestrian. Being "wrong" has a way of shutting people down & setting them harder. Your approach is 100% the key, & only then if the opportunity arises organically.

What he does after that is up to him.
Old 03-19-19, 08:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Tell him babies ride on the sidewalk. Offer him handlebar streamers. Make him cry.

or not.
Old 03-19-19, 08:49 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
On my "short-cut" commute into work, I'm encountering a cyclist who is salmon-ing (biking against traffic), but on a sidewalk. I will refrain from commenting on what else this cyclist is or is not doing as this will surely divert the topic.

As this cyclist also happens to be commuting to the same office park where I work, would I be "within bounds" to make a comment, or should I keep to myself?
Where do you live? Is your area heavily populated? Is that sidewalk heavily trafficked? Is he riding fast? Is he riding dangerously?

Sometimes minding your own business is preferable to being pedantic.
Old 03-19-19, 09:16 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
The three times I had a close call while driving and they they almost T-Boned me, was with cyclists, when they were salmon-ing on the sidewalk...
Old 03-19-19, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
4 lanes, curb to curb traffic , I must use the sidewalk, but I do it at a slow speed and with courtesy ..
Old 03-19-19, 09:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Is it possible to salmon on a sidewalk? I didn't know sidewalks were directional.
Old 03-19-19, 09:32 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Sidewalks are the place to salmon. Roads with traffic laws are not. I wish all the salmon on my commute would stick to sidewalks since they are demonstrating they can't handle roads.
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I consider this kind of a gray area because bikes really aren't supposed to be on the sidewalk therefore there isn't really a solid rule on which side they should be on. Pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk is not obligated to be on any particular side of the street, that only applies when walking in the street itself. There are a couple of places I salmon on the sidewalk in my commute because certain sections of the road are very bike unfriendly and either the sidewalk is only on one side or there is some logistical reason to be on that side (obstacles on the other side, upcoming crosswalk only on that side, I'm going a short distance and being on that side makes more sense based on where I came and am going..etc). I'd say unless its a big problem you are better off just minding your own business.
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Is it possible to salmon on a sidewalk? I didn't know sidewalks were directional.
They aren't
Old 03-19-19, 09:39 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Police recommend pedestrian walk on the left side of the road so they can see cars and dive out of the way if a car jump the curb. So, side-walk cyclists should also heed that advice. But I admit plenty of times I ride on the right side because of laziness to get to the other side of a busy road.
Old 03-19-19, 09:53 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've seen two definitions of salmoning. 1) Riding against the flow, and 2) Filtering to the front and "schooling" between the stop line and the crosswalk... or in the crosswalk... or most of the way into the intersection...

I think the second is the more common definition. I will do this occasionally to improve my ability to be seen at intersections, but generally only when the lanes are wide enough that cars can pass me back easily on the other side of the intersection if they need to.

I don't like riding on the sidewalk, but I probably wouldn't call someone out if they seemed to be doing it safely. Are they riding in the lane most of the time, but only jumping up on the sidewalk to pass to the front of the line? I wouldn't like that at all. I think you gotta pick the place you want to be and stay there. Moving frequently between street and sidewalk is asking for trouble.
Old 03-19-19, 10:01 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Sidewalks are directional in many areas, and even completely illegal in others. In my city you can get ticketed for riding the wrong direction on the sidewalk.
I'd look up your local laws and see if it's legal. If illegal then you can be the good guy that saves him a ticket.
Old 03-19-19, 10:02 AM
parkbrav

I'm on the right hand side of the road, simultaneously other cyclist is salmoning on the left sidewalk, in a light industrial area. The roads are wide and can easily accommodate. No obvious reason why cyclist is choosing to cycle against traffic. Cars, especially those approaching the salmoning cyclist, are going to get confused, aren't they?

Last edited by parkbrav; 03-19-19 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 10:13 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I salmon on a section of my commute where traffic moves at a fast pace, it's dark, and there are no pedestrians on the sidewalk, like ever. If, however, I do encounter one I would slow right down and yield right of way.

As for OP, I'd keep my mouth shut, same reason I'd not say anything to a motorist who rolled a stop sign, or made an illegal turn.
Old 03-19-19, 10:30 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I try to not be dogmatic in situations like this. I usually find myself riding (at walking speed) a short block on the sidewalk to door that leads to our bike cage. It's a bit safer and a whole lot more efficient than making a loop around the adjacent block (this part of the grid is all one-way streets).
Old 03-19-19, 10:32 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
I've seen two definitions of salmoning. 1) Riding against the flow, and 2) Filtering to the front and "schooling" between the stop line and the crosswalk... or in the crosswalk... or most of the way into the intersection...

I think the second is the more common definition. I will do this occasionally to improve my ability to be seen at intersections, but generally only when the lanes are wide enough that cars can pass me back easily on the other side of the intersection if they need to.

I don't like riding on the sidewalk, but I probably wouldn't call someone out if they seemed to be doing it safely. Are they riding in the lane most of the time, but only jumping up on the sidewalk to pass to the front of the line? I wouldn't like that at all. I think you gotta pick the place you want to be and stay there. Moving frequently between street and sidewalk is asking for trouble.
I'm pretty sure the more common and generally accepted definition of "salmoning" is going against the flow which in cycling terms would be riding opposite the traffic on your side of the road. I've never even heard of the second definition.

Last edited by Mitkraft; 03-19-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 10:38 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I try to not be dogmatic in situations like this. I usually find myself riding (at walking speed) a short block on the sidewalk to door that leads to our bike cage. It's a bit safer and a whole lot more efficient than making a loop around the adjacent block (this part of the grid is all one-way streets).
Same. My first commute involved salmoning on the sidewalk across the street from the police station for a block. The alternative was to ride in heavier traffic for 5 blocks, and my riding didn't seem to bother anyone as I went slowly and rarely saw anyone else on the sidewalk.
Old 03-19-19, 10:38 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I'm pretty sure the more common and generally accepted definition of "salmoning" is going against the flow which in cycling terms would be riding opposite the traffic on your side of the road. I've never even heard if the second definition.
Well, I was using it to refer to a cyclist biking against on-coming traffic, but let's for the sake argument agree there are two or more meanings.
Old 03-19-19, 10:45 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I'm pretty sure the more common and generally accepted definition of "salmoning" is going against the flow which in cycling terms would be riding opposite the traffic on your side of the road. I've never even heard if the second definition.
Ok. Fair enough.
Old 03-19-19, 11:19 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
Sidewalks are directional in many areas, and even completely illegal in others. In my city you can get ticketed for riding the wrong direction on the sidewalk.
I'd look up your local laws and see if it's legal. If illegal then you can be the good guy that saves him a ticket.
Are pedestrians limited by one way rules as well? I have never encountered such a thing, but I don't have a ton of worldwide sidewalk experience.

Your claim insinuates that it is legal to bike ONE WAY on certain sidewalks as well. Which I doubt is a thing.
Old 03-19-19, 11:25 AM
parkbrav

When I started road running in junior high, I was running with traffic. The rest of the team was running against traffic. I got told that running with traffic was wrong because it would potentially confuse drivers when I might pass the other runners who were running against traffic. Because then they would see runners approaching them on both sides of the road and be confused as to how to respond.

And thus, my quandry, it would probably confuse oncoming drivers to see cyclists approaching them in both lanes. Right?
Old 03-19-19, 12:00 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Are pedestrians limited by one way rules as well? I have never encountered such a thing, but I don't have a ton of worldwide sidewalk experience.

Your claim insinuates that it is legal to bike ONE WAY on certain sidewalks as well. Which I doubt is a thing.
Instead of being a dick and claiming that I totally made up a fake law you could have quickly done a google search with my city which shows up under my user name.
https://library.municode.com/az/temp...Id=CH7BILIMOVE
Article 5, Sec 7-52, subsection C:
No person shall ride or operate a bicycle, electric bicycle or light motorized vehicle in any direction except that permitted by vehicular traffic on the same side of the roadway where the sidewalk or bicycle lane exists; provided, that bicycles, electric bicycles or light motorized vehicles may proceed either way where signs or pavement markings on the sidewalk, bikeway or bicycle lane appear designating two-way traffic.
Old 03-19-19, 12:07 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by RoadKill
Instead of being a dick and claiming that I totally made up a fake law you could have quickly done a google search with my city which shows up under my user name.
https://library.municode.com/az/temp...Id=CH7BILIMOVE
Article 5, Sec 7-52, subsection C:
No person shall ride or operate a bicycle, electric bicycle or light motorized vehicle in any direction except that permitted by vehicular traffic on the same side of the roadway where the sidewalk or bicycle lane exists; provided, that bicycles, electric bicycles or light motorized vehicles may proceed either way where signs or pavement markings on the sidewalk, bikeway or bicycle lane appear designating two-way traffic.
Ahhh, found what I was looking for. There's a municipal ordinance against all vehicles on the sidewalks in town. Eureka, we have an answer.

Hey, let's avoid the name calling
Old 03-19-19, 12:15 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
IMO, the sidewalk is for people moving slowly - like pedestrians. Small children and the guys chugging along on BSOs/cruisers/BMX on the sidewalk don't bother me, as they are moving slowly. Taking a shortcut on the sidewalk moving slowly - also cool.

If the rider in question is chugging along slowly on the sidewalk, that's probably fine. If they're going faster, it begins to create a danger - both to the rider and to drivers. If I encountered a rider moving along pretty well, I might have a conversation about riding in the road - and offer to show them the way, selling it not as a criticism, but as a positive strategy to save time and get places faster.

Originally Posted by parkbrav

And thus, my quandry, it would probably confuse oncoming drivers to see cyclists approaching them in both lanes. Right?
That's a tough one. I think drivers who do not ride (or walk) are generally confused. Some non-cyclists have tried to tell me I'm supposed to be on the wrong side of the road, as they were taught that bike = pedestrian, not bike = vehicle. In the states I've lived in, pedestrians are supposed to go against traffic, and cyclists are supposed to ride with traffic.

So the question is whether the salmoning sidewalk cyclist is more like a pedestrian or a cyclist. I think they might actually be doing the right thing so long as they're moving slowly, but otherwise, belong in the road (as a cyclist, not a pedestrian.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.