Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flats Bars or Drops ... Which Do You Prefer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flats Bars or Drops ... Which Do You Prefer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 11:09 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
That's because the whole "serious cyclist" thing is bull***** for the most part:
A rider who does 100 miles on a road bike on a weekend, on nice, smooth roads in fair weather (and obviously prefers drop bars), is somehow considered a more serious cyclist than one who does 20 mile commutes daily, on whatever roads are available, in city traffic, all year round (more likely to prefer flat bars).
That wasn't what I meant at all and wasn't what I said .... anyone doing a daily commute I'd put in the serous cyclist category ... in fact anyone that rides regularly .... they're far more likely to be forum members than as I said "your jump on a bike twice a year at weekends rider"
Old 03-28-19, 12:40 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
That wasn't what I meant at all and wasn't what I said .... anyone doing a daily commute I'd put in the serous cyclist category ... in fact anyone that rides regularly .... they're far more likely to be forum members than as I said "your jump on a bike twice a year at weekends rider"
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that was what you said, just pointed out that this attitude seems to be fairly common.
Old 03-28-19, 12:58 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I never made it around the block trying drops on a friend's 1973 Peugeot bike. Yuck.
There was NO such thing as flat bars until the MTB craze. But I do remember what was called spreads, they were about 20d angled back with no rise. Very few of them were used. Plenty monkey of bars in the 1960s.

The ONLY comfortable bar for me is the 70d sweptback comfort bars. Plenty of hand AND back positions. Many of those used to be 35 - 45d, especially on girls bikes. I have done half my miles and both tours with them. I had NO back aches the last tour, after I raised the bar up an inch from the first trip.
It's impossible to get away from off and on numbness, or bum numbness either. For whatever reason, I had both hands on 99.99% of the time. A lot of the time also, I have just my right hand forward on the bend.
These are NOT FLAT BARS. Pffft.
I don't know how I allowed myself to SUFFER so many miles with a broom handle bar and sponge grips on my 1990 Raleigh.

The Czech guy Jan who won the RAAM 5 times in a row, with drops of course, said his hands would be still be numb DAYS after the race was over. 20 hour days likely.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-28-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Because of the reach for the brake problem, the way I use my bar ends on the FX# is either t use the bar ends on long straight parts of the ride where REALLY fast braking isn't likely (I can scoot my hand over pretty quick), or it's to give my hands relief one hand at a time, always keeping one hand in immediate contact with the braking position.

I think one of the advantages in flat bars that doesn't get mentioned is price--for new bikes, I find that the 3 digit priced flat bar bikes generally have better components than you could find on almost any comparably priced drop bar bike.
Old 03-28-19, 01:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Some folks just don’t get on with drops. My wife does not and her road bike is set up with a flat bar.

Her take on drops is that they offer a mutitude of uncomfortable and awkward hand positions.
Old 03-28-19, 01:37 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
Drops. I haven't ridden flat bars since 5th grade on my "English racer" 3 speed. After about a year, I put drop bars on it, because all the cool guys had them. Still do. 😀 At 69 years, they are all I know, and I love the multiple hand positions, though I'm "on the hoods" about 80% of the time. I like the feeling of control at high speeds too.
This!! Plus I find the stretch the drops put on my back relieves my lower back pain. I think some of the newer drops might be even better with the wider flare . My bike fit is for the seat and handle bars to be at approximately the same height and is definitely NOT a compact frame fit, but a more traditional French fit...
Old 03-28-19, 02:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Some folks just don’t get on with drops. My wife does not and her road bike is set up with a flat bar.

Her take on drops is that they offer a mutitude of uncomfortable and awkward hand positions.
Same with my boys! I can't convince them otherwise. I'm not sure they'll even try.
Old 03-28-19, 02:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I probably thought the same thing, at one time. Glad I found out otherwise. I could never go back to flat bars again.
Old 03-28-19, 03:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Same with my boys! I can't convince them otherwise. I'm not sure they'll even try.
In my wife’s case she did try them for several years.
Old 03-28-19, 04:37 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by livedarklions

I think one of the advantages in flat bars that doesn't get mentioned is price--for new bikes, I find that the 3 digit priced flat bar bikes generally have better components than you could find on almost any comparably priced drop bar bike.
Really funny you posted this comment ... a while back I started a thread .. Why are gravel bikes more expensive than other bikes of similar spec .... or something along those lines ... I got absolutely shot down in flames with people seemingly splitting hairs on specs so I just gave up as I didn't want an argument with people that very obviously did.

From memory I think quoted something like a Specialized Hardrock Comp I bought for £380 in an end of year discount and whilst not an "amazing" bike was a decent enough entry level that could be bought for £450 without discount and yet the staring price for gravel bikes that seemed half decent was around the £800 + level and if you broke it down the main difference was drop bars and slightly better gearing (if you consider Claris for a road bike that much higher spec than X5 on a MTB) but didn't justify nearly double the cost.
Old 03-28-19, 04:48 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Flats with the shown bar ends. I raced for years with drop bars and now I find them too uncomfortable. I find the position of the brake levers and the shifters much more accessible

What bar ends are they ... do you have a name / link at all????

I spent ages trying to find something that shape and couldn't .... I thought in the end maybe manufacturers may not make them as they may be an injury risk .... if you hit something and went over the handle bars, instinct would be to hang onto the bike and would your forward rolling motion whilst hanging onto the bars may snap your wrists as you went over.

Sorry REALLY not trying to be a profit of gloom with them and whilst I thought they were the ideal style bars / hand positions and would try them it'd always be something in the back of my mind to asses what I though the risk actually was.

Last edited by Witterings; 03-28-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 06:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I spent ages trying to find something that shape and couldn't .... I thought in the end maybe manufacturers may not make them as they may be an injury risk .... if you hit something and went over the handle bars, instinct would be to hang onto the bike and would your forward rolling motion whilst hanging onto the bars may snap your wrists as you went over.

Sorry REALLY not trying to be a profit of gloom with them and whilst I thought they were the ideal style bars / hand positions and would try them it'd always be something in the back of my mind to asses what I though the risk actually was.
Google image search:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ergotec-Tou...=fsclp_pl_dp_4
Old 03-28-19, 07:11 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I haven’t used trekking type bars, bullhorn type bars, or TT aero bars. I’ve only used a variety of straight bars and drop bars. For MTBs and crusiers I prefer straight bars with added end bars for MTBs. For road cycling I prefer compact drop bars. They all take some getting used to, but once you do it gets down to a choice of what works best for you for control, comfort, and variety of positions for the intended use.
Old 03-28-19, 08:13 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
+1. The Jones H bar gives me all sorts of hand positions. I regularly do 30-40 mile rides with them...all out. That's about as long as I want to be sitting on a bike.
Old 03-28-19, 08:35 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
My only experience with drop bars was when I was a teenager when I borrowed my mom's road bike. Even then I never used the drop portion. Up until 2013 I had used flat or riser bars. Once I started doing rides longer than a few hours and over 50 miles I was desperately looking for alternative hand positions.

I tried clip on aero bars, which were great for the those long straight stretches, but I could not maintain that aero position for too long. Then I tried bar ends in addition and that changed everything. Loved it! Made climbing hills actually enjoyable. I did away with the bar ends and aero bars in favor of bullhorns for simplicity. I use bullhorns exclusively on all four of my bicycles. Each one has a different style though. May have to give drop bars another try again in the future.
Old 03-28-19, 10:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm firmly in the camp of... Neither.

Drop bars were always uncomfortable for me, and I have limited flexibility in my neck. I prefer a higher bar and less reach, but...

Flat bars pound the hell out of my wrists. You can see people riding flat bars, with their hands in all sorts of weird positions, such as cupped over the ends of the bars, trying to get some relief.

Swept bars... heaven. A little bit of wrist rotation is night and day for me, plus the sweep moves my hands further back. I like a cozy cockpit. I've got swept bars on all my bikes, and can ride for miles and miles without needing to change hand positions. As noted, bullhorns work in a similar way, if you prefer a more stretched out riding posture, and some of the more "interesting" bar shapes are certainly worth considering.

Granted, my setup comes with a predictable aerodynamic cost, but the alternative for me would be not riding at all.

The minority of people who have perfectly flexible bodies can choose the bar that is optimal for aerodynamics, speed, control, and so forth. The rest of us have a different set of tradeoffs that we have to manage.
Old 03-28-19, 11:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts

Hello, I usually won't post too much info unless asked.
They are Ergotec 50010001 and from past threads it seems they can be difficult to find, but Amazon was my source.
I can understand the worry about going over, but with 2,000km, no problems thus far.
The angle of the front grips can be adjusted, so I put a little upward sweep. Where drop bars lower grips have you bend over more, these elongate the back for some stretching during long trips. I had butterfly bars before, and I find these more comfortable.
and in high winds, I can go down on my forearms for a more aero position

Cheers
Old 03-29-19, 05:05 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Problem with bar ends is your hands are too far away from the brake lever. And in all positions, yur forward lean is essentially unchanged, which is not so good for the back.
That problem is easily solved by installing bar ends inboard of grips. There are bar ends that have been designed specifically for this purpose, like the ones pictured (SQLab Innerbarends), but in fact most bar ends can be installed this way. The distance between them then is about equal the width of a regular drop bar, and the position is very close to riding on the hoods. If the bar ends are longer, they can offer up to 4 different hand positions, all with different forward lean.

Old 03-30-19, 07:57 PM
pstolz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to have flat bars. Ergonomically, drops kill my neck because the most comfortable hand position stretches me out. Even flat bars are not very comfortable but they’re a little better.
Old 03-30-19, 08:04 PM
pstolz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm firmly in the camp of... Neither.

Drop bars were always uncomfortable for me, and I have limited flexibility in my neck. I prefer a higher bar and less reach, but...

Flat bars pound the hell out of my wrists. You can see people riding flat bars, with their hands in all sorts of weird positions, such as cupped over the ends of the bars, trying to get some relief.

Swept bars... heaven. A little bit of wrist rotation is night and day for me, plus the sweep moves my hands further back. I like a cozy cockpit. I've got swept bars on all my bikes, and can ride for miles and miles without needing to change hand positions.
I have the same issue with my neck and it really limits my riding enjoyment. I’m going to try this setup on my mountain bike.
Old 03-30-19, 09:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by pstolz
I have the same issue with my neck and it really limits my riding enjoyment. I’m going to try this setup on my mountain bike.
Just one word of caution. If you're doing real mountain biking, too much sweep can be a bad thing. Granted I'm not an experienced MTB'er, but some friends talked me into going out on some easy MTB trails. The bike, when bucking front to back, would try to pull the grips out of my hands. I had to hang on really tight. So, while I know some MTB'ers who prefer swept bars, they tend to be more gently swept than what you'd see on an old fashioned roadster.

In my case, doing mostly pavement and rails-trails, the swept bars are just fine.

I've also played around with shorter and taller stems.
Old 03-31-19, 09:53 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Drops are fun

Old 03-31-19, 11:01 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Drop bars...all day long (literally).

I use flat bars on my winter bike. I think it helps with control, slightly - but more than anything, I've found that it's easier to keep my hands warm in extreme cold with flat bars as opposed to drop bars. Were I to live in a more temperate climate (I'm currently on the border of WI/MN), I'd set up a winter bike with drop bars.

I've also played with bullhorns/TT bars. I find them more comfortable than flat bars but less comfortable than drop bars. I like the aesthetic on SS/FG bikes used for shorter distances where hand positions are less of an issue.
Old 03-31-19, 04:50 PM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbur
+ 1
+2

Just ordered my second flat bar bike and another Trekking bar to go with it
Old 04-01-19, 11:15 AM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Excelsior! I especially esteem the chrome spoke style of the steering wheel. I can't fine one with metal flake green, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.