Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ideas Please: Fast SS/FG for Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 07:03 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Time to start thinking about the next bike. I have my road commuter (Trek Portland). I have my snowmuter/rain bike (rebuilt Bridgestone XO-5). Next should be a SS/FG. Why? Curious I guess.

Ideally, this would be a stock bike that I could use on my commute (my rule: the commute comes first), but it would be great if it were fast enough that I could keep up on group rides. Right now, I use the Portland with rack and trunk on group rides and fitness rides and can generally keep up. What are your recommendations for a SS/FG that can take a rack, fenders, but also is fast enough to potentially keep up on group rides?

I lusted after the Redline 9-2-5 for a time. Perfect commuter for me if it had drops, but I'm worried that it will be too slow. The Specialized Langster looks pretty good. Others? Thanks.
Old 10-29-07, 07:34 PM
madfiNch

Bikes: Burley Runabout 7 and Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not stick with what works?
This is my main commuter (it now has a rack on the back - I was lazy and left it off for awhile):

These 80's steel-framed bikes take thin tires but they're super tough!
The Redline is cool. I like it. Handlebars are no big deal. I'm sure your LBS would switch out the bars for you pretty inexpensively.
If you really want a serious fixed commuter and you don't mind the cost, then build one (or have your LBS build one) out of a Surly Crosscheck frame. That's my dream commuter............

Post pics when you decide!!!!!
Old 10-29-07, 07:35 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted a Trek 8500 mtn bike, adding drop bars, rigid fork and 700C wheels. I left it as SS so I could run disc brakes and coast downhills like a lazy person. I took it out on a group ride a little while ago, and I did just fine against my geared brethren. Long hills might have been a problem, but the rollers that we were on proved to be advantageous to me. Also, the bike is about 2 pounds less than my [sold] IRO Rob Roy. I wouldn't buy a stock bike. Find a frame that you really like and get a White Industries ENO rear hub built up. You can specify the parts pick and it's a good experience to build your own bike.
Old 10-29-07, 07:46 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I (mostly) built up my snomuter/rain bike myself, so I'm not totally inexperienced or averse to building my own. Right now, just too busy at work and too lazy. More wondering what other options are out there.

[An aside: About 6 months ago I spied a Raleigh headbadge on a trash pile in front of a neighbor's house (he was gutting his house). Unfortunately, it turned out it was a Taiwanese POS frame, but I still grabbed it and it's sitting in my basement. It needs a bit of TLC and a new wheel set, but would be doable as a fixed gear.] Again, for right now, I'm more interested in other stock options.
Old 10-29-07, 07:54 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
how about Cannondale Capo and Jamis Sputnik?

How fast is your group ride? and what's your average cadence? Just to get an idea of how many gear-inches you need.

I found 48T-16T to be okay for speed, but really sucking at constant stop-n-go's
Old 10-29-07, 08:08 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been pondering the same thing.

So far my main candidates are the Bianchi San Jose and IRO jamie roy.
Unfortunately, most track frames do not appear to accept fenders and racks.
Others include the redline 925 and the raleigh one way.

My issue is that my geared bike is no more. I think for my long commute I would like a SS\FG and a geared bike. I am a bit unsure if this is a jump I can handle but I am leaning towards the SS\FG option. 56 miles RT on a SS\FG would result in a decent pair of legs... I would think.
Old 10-29-07, 08:09 PM
jk__74

Bikes: Traitor Ruben, Trek Cobia, Trek Marlin SS, Salsa Chili con Crosso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Langster for a while. Really fast and smooth, and I really liked the geometry. My commute is 10 miles each way and pretty flat - so I just flew on this bike. I ran a clamp on seat post rack. I swapped the gearing to 48x18 to run it at ~ 70 gear inches.

Unfortunately - we recently parted ways. The most fender I could run was of the clip-on variety. They work - but not nearly as nice as full coverage fenders. That was a deal breaker for me.

I am currently in the market for it's replacement. It looks like more cross-oriented models are probably the best fit (for me anyways). One bike you might want to look at is the recently announced Felt Dispatch. 18.91 pounds and room for fenders - looks pretty sweet: https://www.feltracing.com/08/product...,1525&pid=8718
Old 10-29-07, 08:21 PM
PDXJeff
institutionalized

Bikes: Two old Schwinns, Kona Cinder Cone, Redline MonoCog, Custom (U.B.I.) Columbus Cyclocross/commuter.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona PaddyWagon.

With some good "P" clamps from the hardware store and maybe a drill for the fenders and you can mount fenders on most any bike (obviously not low clearance road bikes)

I recently fendered and racked an older Redline MonoCog SS mt bike, and threw on a 44 tooth in the front (stock 18 in the back). So far it's pretty good for my short commute, I might put a smaller cog in the rear to keep from spinning out on the flats.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-07, 10:05 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Redline 925. It comes with fenders and a chainguard, both pluses for commuting. It has rear rack mounts as well. It came with strapless half toeclips, but I switched it to clipless pedals. It has a flipflop hub so you can run singlespeed or fixed. It also comes with front and rear brakes. Hope that helps. Fixed gear riding is fun for commuting.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 10-30-07, 06:13 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized now has a Tricross that comes in single speed. Looks pretty cool.
Old 10-30-07, 08:01 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knobster
Specialized now has a Tricross that comes in single speed. Looks pretty cool.
Bingo! Accepts fat tires, fenders and bombproof.
Old 10-30-07, 08:07 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like. However, $800 for a SS?

https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32208

Call me cheap.
I think I will need to take a peek at one.

I do not see if it has a flip flop hub. Anyone?
Old 10-30-07, 08:42 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tricross single speed does come with a flip-flop track hub. The freewheel side has an 18 tooth Shimano freewheel. The fixed side comes with a lock ring but no cog. I changed out the freewheel for a 17 tooth one on mine to get 68 gear inches. It comes with 700x32 cross tires that are great for gravel roads. They are too slow for group rides with skinny tired road bikes on pavement.

Regarding the price, the Tricross SS is $500 cheaper than the lowest priced Tricross with multiple gears.

The Specialized Langster can take a rear rack and comes with with 700x23 road tires. For 2008 they have several new trim packages. Seems to be what the OP is looking for.

Last edited by squeakywheel; 10-30-07 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 08:59 AM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrific ideas! I was not aware of many of these. Thanks.

Even the Langster Seattle -- the stock handlebars have to go first -- doesn't look like it can take full fenders. (Plus I'm not sure if I could handle the symmetry of having a Portland and a Seattle). Looks like the tricross can take full front fenders, but I can't tell if there are rear eyelets. Pretty cool looking. I've also seen the Schwinn Madison, but I'm told it just weighs a ton.

Others?
Old 10-30-07, 09:04 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=PDXJeff;5543762]Kona PaddyWagon.

With some good "P" clamps from the hardware store and maybe a drill for the fenders and you can mount fenders on most any bike (obviously not low clearance road bikes)
QUOTE]

Actually, with the right hardware, you can mount full coverage fenders on JUST ABOUT ANY bike..... if you call these guys https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/mod...105&page_id=58 they will mail you the required fender split hardware for about $15 (last year's price). I am getting one this year so I can run fenders and studded 35 mm tires.

As to the OP, for me, the weight of a bike is not an issue for speed except for accelerating and climbing. My extrememly heavy gas pipe peugeot single speed conversion is just as fast as my TCR for just cruising straight down a flat road. So I think the real issue is gearing (unless your group ride is always trying to dump you).

If I were you, I would convert the X05 to a singlespeed. Then you can try it out and simply put all the gearing back on if you don't like it. Takes about an hour on each end. Besides (and this is just my opinion), a good snowmuter and rain bike should be single speed anyway to keep crap out of the drivetrain.

Last edited by Sawtooth; 10-30-07 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 09:11 AM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
So far my main candidates are the Bianchi San Jose and IRO jamie roy.
Unfortunately, most track frames do not appear to accept fenders and racks.
Others include the redline 925 and the raleigh one way.
I think the Jamie Roy and Rob Roy both have enough room for fenders, though the rack lugs I'm not sure about...

56mi. RT on a SS/FG would be challenging IMO, kudos to you to consider it

I got in on the IRO group buy for the Rob Roy, so I'm anxiously awaiting the frameset while I slowly amass parts (wheelset seems to be my biggest hurdle ), I'll be building it up as a FG commuter and I've been running 52:19 for the longest time now (on my roadie, it's geared but I mostly stay there), so I think that'd be my starting gear (or equivalent, I just happen to have a Shimano 105 52T chainring ready).
Old 10-30-07, 09:17 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I need a challenge. My commute is boring the heck out of me. That is when I was actually riding it. *sighs*

Still.... in winter it shortens down to 14 each way and a train in the middle. That may make it easier getting used to riding a fixie.
Old 10-30-07, 09:18 AM
The LT
spin

Bikes: raleigh m-60, azonic steelhead, schwinn world sport fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
raleigh one way is another option and the new 2008 models look sweet
Old 10-30-07, 09:41 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Tricross SS can take front and rear racks as well as front and rear fenders. You only get one set of eyelets in the rear and one set in the front. There is no problem connecting both rack and fender to the same eyelet. You just need longer bolts.

The only thing I'll say against the Tricross SS's rear eyelets is that they are kind of close to the track fork ends. I installed a Blackburn Expedition rear rack on mine. It does interfere with the rear axle in some positions. It's OK for me because with my current gearing and chain length, my axle is towards the rear part of the track fork ends. It would be nice if the eyelet sat up higher to keep it out of the way of the axle nuts.
Old 10-30-07, 09:51 AM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A 06 Langster or older is a good option. In 07, the Langster geometry was slackened and drive trains were lowerd to 42 x 16. It's too small for fast rides IMO. The Tricross SS mentioned above is even lower at 42 x 18. However, if you're willing to change out the chain ring, (+/- $30) you're golden.

I run 48 x 16 fixed & 48 x 17 free on my 06 Langster. Keeping pace on group rides that average low 20 mph are no problem at a cadence of about ~90 rpm on the 48 x 16 fixed side

Last edited by Tequila Joe; 10-30-07 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 10:09 AM
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeakywheel
The Tricross SS can take front and rear racks as well as front and rear fenders. You only get one set of eyelets in the rear and one set in the front. There is no problem connecting both rack and fender to the same eyelet. You just need longer bolts.

The only thing I'll say against the Tricross SS's rear eyelets is that they are kind of close to the track fork ends. I installed a Blackburn Expedition rear rack on mine. It does interfere with the rear axle in some positions. It's OK for me because with my current gearing and chain length, my axle is towards the rear part of the track fork ends. It would be nice if the eyelet sat up higher to keep it out of the way of the axle nuts.
Yup, rear eyelets are an issue with Tricrosses, SS or geared. One solution is to get an axle-mounted rack, such as Old Man Mountain.
Old 10-30-07, 04:55 PM
madfiNch

Bikes: Burley Runabout 7 and Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously. Get a Crosscheck. Have the LBS build it up for you. It'll be fast and will be great for any weather and it has all the braze-ons you need.
Old 10-30-07, 05:22 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
[If I were you, I would convert the X05 to a singlespeed. Then you can try it out and simply put all the gearing back on if you don't like it. Takes about an hour on each end. Besides (and this is just my opinion), a good snowmuter and rain bike should be single speed anyway to keep crap out of the drivetrain.
False, the answer is always to get a new bike.

Also, maybe it varied by year, but my XO5 has vertical rear dropouts, which pretty much nixed my idea of turning it into a singlespeed/fixie. You can always get a chain tensioner of course, but you won't be able to do fixed. I've seen your XO5 build and it looks good like it is .

Personally I tend to like the cyclocross based singlespeeds the most. The Raleigh One Way looks awesome, but I think the Bianchi San Jose is the cheapest way to get a quality fixie/singlespeed. I see lots of those in Portland.

But if you want road geometry, I don't know. Maybe a (gasp) Pista? I don't know if the Pista is more road or track based. Paddy Wagon is pretty cool too.
Old 10-30-07, 06:18 PM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a KHS 100-- the entry level track bike. It cost $450 new-- came with a 48x16, which I changed to 48x18 about three months after getting it. Bottom bracket and headset lasted about a year before having to be replaced, and I got a carbon fork which I added 2 years later... I have been riding it as my main commuter for 4 years and change-- I have ridden centuries with it, I did Ride the Rockies on it (including Independence Pass - ovedr 12,000 ft high). It has a flip/flop hub, but I never added a freewheel.

My commute is 46 round trip-- and it is rolling, with some hills. I love this bike, even though it is a little heavy... Oh-I added a front brake before I rode it the first time, and added a second one before going out to COlorado with it.

train safe--
Old 10-31-07, 08:32 PM
jeremyma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newbojeff
I lusted after the Redline 9-2-5 for a time. Perfect commuter for me if it had drops, but I'm worried that it will be too slow.
I've been very happy with my 9-2-5. I thought I would like it better with drops too but I gave the mustache bars a try and have actually been very happy with them. Wouldn't be difficult to swap if you wanted, though. And the brakes work fine with drops as well.

As far as the speed of the bike, I've found it to be faster than I expected. I haven't (yet) taken it on any of the group rides but figure I'll be doing that as soon as the weather starts to get crappy. That or when I feel like it. But it's still too nice not to go out on my Merlin :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.