Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

1/2 way there, June is over and how are you doing on your goals?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

1/2 way there, June is over and how are you doing on your goals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 08:48 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by law4jba
That is the classic New England view of the world!
Doesn't that world-view include the belief that Boston is the Hub of the Universe?

Old 07-01-08, 09:14 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
2100+ miles for the year (should be at 2500, so I'm a little behind on total mileage. Oh well.)

2 organized metrics
3 imperials
1 double metric

I'm aiming for 8 centuries (or longer) by the end of the fall and since it's one ride, my double on the 12th will only count as 1... so there's 2 more left after that for my overall goal.
That double on the 12th is my biggest goal this year, and there will be a ride report when I finish.
Old 07-01-08, 09:37 AM
Jay68442

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Sl4 Expert, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I set a goal of riding 300 miles in June and reached it. I averaged a little over 70 miles per week, up from 50 miles per week in May. For July I set a goal of 400 miles. I will be trying to up my weekly riding to 100 miles a week. For August I have register for a metric century and a full century. Time to step up the training.
Old 07-01-08, 09:42 AM
law4jba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Doesn't that world-view include the belief that Boston is the Hub of the Universe?
Are you suggesting that it is NOT?
Old 07-01-08, 09:43 AM
JosephPaul86
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started cycling fall of 07, then went car free too. I was at 245lbs, and dropped to 215lbs now.

I don't have a goal weight, I just wanted to be more fit and put my asthma at bay.
Old 07-01-08, 09:54 AM
Ruckin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that I am not doing that well...

I didn't have any specific mileage goals, but I want to ride 2-3 days a week. I
am willing to cheat a bit and drive past some roads that I consider unsafe for
my current speed/skills and ride the last 19 miles (one way) to work. So far this
year I have only been able to commute via bike 3 times. I blame
excessive travel, weather, not being able to carry my laptop, my tookus too
sore... Basically with the exception of being out of town they are all lame excuses.

Not surprisingly I have seem to be almost exactly the same weight I was at
the beginning of the year.

OTOH, I have managed to put in more rides on the weekends with my son. He
can only go about 10 or so miles but I figure any mileage is better than no
bike time.
Old 07-01-08, 10:15 AM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I've always thought that the New Year holiday was the dumbest thing since dog sweaters, and New Year's resolutions not a whole lot better, so I don't have "goals" for "2008". I have things I'm trying to do, now, here, in life.
As a new years eve baby I always disliked this new years thing.
In the beginning it was that fact that it was so close after christmas that I probably got jipped on any presents.
Then I kept noticing all anyone wanted on my birthday was for it to be over so they could start over. For the last 10 seconds in every time zone on the planet everyone counted down and erupted in celebration that yeah EVBlazer's Birthday is finally over

Born and raised in New England, and my father grew up in the Boston area
Old 07-01-08, 10:57 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goals? We were supposed to set goals? I must have been absent the day that was assigned...there's not gonna be a test is there?

I've already exceeded my total miles from last year, I just keep riding more and getting more fit. I started 2008 at about 250 pounds, down from 270 last August. I'm now down to 225. I am now riding right around a hundred miles a week and gearing up for a metric century in August and an imperial century in September. Last Saturday I did 43 miles and I'm aiming for 50 this week...I guess that's a goal, right?
Old 07-01-08, 11:26 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Imagine how you are going to feel when you get to the point size 18 shirts are too big. BTW, 18 seems to be a cut-off point between "big and tall" and regular sizing. Once you get below 18, you can shop anywhere.
You are correct, it'll be awesome! And I commented to one of the staff at Men's Wearhouse this past weekend that I can't wait for 18, as then I won't have to shop in "fat guy corner" anymore, which is what I call the corner of the store where the size 20+ shirts are. Instead, I'll be able to go over in the "regular" area.

However, I never think anyone will accuse me of being "normal"
Old 07-01-08, 11:34 AM
AndrewCO
If you fail, make it epic

Bikes: Fuji Newest 3.0 ('07), Trek Verve 2 Disc ('20), MTB/Sport Bike coming soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
You are correct, it'll be awesome! And I commented to one of the staff at Men's Wearhouse this past weekend that I can't wait for 18, as then I won't have to shop in "fat guy corner" anymore, which is what I call the corner of the store where the size 20+ shirts are. Instead, I'll be able to go over in the "regular" area.

However, I never think anyone will accuse me of being "normal"
Thanks to high-school and college, I will never be out of the 18+ range. My stupid neck and shoulders forbid it!

I don't even goto that corner, I just have them gather the tents, err shirts for me.
Old 07-01-08, 11:46 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All in all I would say my goals are comming along.

Total miles = 840, my goal for this year was 1000 miles which appariently I set far too low.

Weight is down to 205 from 245 in January. Goal was to hit emeritus by July 12th, still doable but will likly be close. I still see myself meeting and exceeding my goals this year even if the later doesn't happen in my original timeline.
Old 07-01-08, 12:49 PM
daintonj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goals
120Kg down to 90Kg, currently at 105 so half way there.
Metric - crossed off (and on a mountain bike)
Century - probably do one in August
Double Century - Why not, may as well have a challenge.

Vague Thoughts
I have a cyclocross bike, my cycling club has an active contingent of successful 'cross racers and the season is far enough a way that I could train enough to at least complete a race. Maybe.
Old 07-01-08, 01:26 PM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Good:
1 year anniversary of being car-free/ultra light Bummed some rides when the weather was bad when I first started or to buy bulk items and rented a car Easter weekend. Have lost 30lbs (stuck in the 190-195) range and normalized my blood pressure. Saving a ton of money as well.

The Bad
I only miss having a car to visit more remote parks and forests. I haven't done any rides over 20mi but that will change if the bike I want becomes available next week. Hands started to numb on an impromptu 19mi ride.

Overall, giving up the car has been a major improvement. I plan things better, less stressed, healthier, and am more organized. Think I could easily do 50mi and want to try for a century before winter.
Old 07-01-08, 04:03 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My riding goals are proceeding better than my weight loss goals, so I'm shifting gears a little to crack down on eating. It's taken me a year and a half car free to drop just fifty lbs, though my muscles have gotten more substantial in the mean time. I hope to have another fifty off by the first snows.
Old 07-01-08, 04:19 PM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I always thought of New York City as the center of the universe.
Old 07-01-08, 04:38 PM
LittleChainring

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!
Neil, you're a heck of a lot more worthy than I am. I rode 800 miles last year, and my goal for this year is 1000. Today I'm at 380.
Old 07-03-08, 11:55 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Good on goals so far. My goals for the year: 2,000 miles, 400 miles in a month, my age before my birthday, a metric century, three organized rides, and flip 10 bikes. I also had an objective to lose 25 pounds this year, and get my BP back into the normal range.

Through the end of June: 1500 miles, a 500 mile month, rode my age, completed a metric century, two organized rides, flipped 8 bikes, lost 30 pounds, and BP back to normal.

So I have adjusted my goals up: 3,000 miles with an objective to lose 40 pounds by the end of the year. I am not going to increase my flip goal as the sources have dried up a lot...
Old 07-03-08, 08:54 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by LittleChainring
Neil, you're a heck of a lot more worthy than I am. I rode 800 miles last year, and my goal for this year is 1000. Today I'm at 380.
My comparison was to "jakereed", and no one else.

Old 07-04-08, 12:02 AM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My goal for the year is 2008 miles. I've got about 64 to go, so I should reach it this weekend.