Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Race Light hardcase - This is weird

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-24-08, 07:51 PM
jakereed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picture of what happened to my rear Bontrager Race Light hardcase 700x32mm tire after only 1600 miles. I thought it strange and wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Old 09-24-08, 07:55 PM
(BB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I lost a big chunk of tire, but I had 3K+ on the tire so I didn't squak too loud.
Old 09-24-08, 09:07 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not hardcase but Racelights. Matter of fact, every Bonti I've riddine has blown or split.

Stock Bonti's on my Lemond blew the sidewall nearly after 1000 miles. Second one went about 2 weeks later, big splits in the side.

Racelights flatted after 500 miles or so. The punture was BIG! I just don't like Bonti's. Replaced the Bonti's of my wife's bike even before the bike left the showroom floor. I tired to use them as training tires but didn't get much out of them.
Old 09-24-08, 09:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Never seen that before. I got some mileage on mine, 2500+ and they still look good. Will need to inspect real close before my next ride. Might want to throw some super glue on it until you get a new tire.

Old 09-24-08, 09:56 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jakereed
Picture of what happened to my rear Bontrager Race Light hardcase 700x32mm tire after only 1600 miles. I thought it strange and wondered if anyone else has seen this?

You need a new tire, it's probably a defect in the production process, of getting the tread, armour layer and thread layers all bound together. You may have also run over something that cut the tread. I would replace with a different brand, you should check with your LBS. Some Trek dealers will only have Bonti tires, others will order from an online suppler like Cycles Lambert in Canada or Quality Bicycle Products in the US and can get several different brands. I think you will find most manufacturers have armoured tires now, but you may need to look under city or urban class tires to find them online. I found Michelin, CST, IRC, Maxxis, Schwalbe, Specialized, Pannaracer all have armoured tires available, so pick another brand and go for it. Nice thing about tires, if you don't like one, your investment is minimal, so go with a different one.
Old 09-24-08, 10:05 PM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Never seen that before. I got some mileage on mine, 2500+ and they still look good. Will need to inspect real close before my next ride. Might want to throw some super glue on it until you get a new tire.
I actually thought that I could use the super glue in an emergency, but quickly dismissed that idea. Don't want to ride a tire like that at 25+ mph and have it fail.

I picked up a new tire on the way home, but unfortunately the only thing they had available at the LBS in the size and price range was another Bontrager made tire, but it's not a Race light Hardcase, it's a Satellite plus Aramid tire. I'll have to see if it holds up.

I'll have to look around online and get some backup tires that I like so I don't have to settle for whatever is available at the LBS's.

However, I really like the reflective strip that comes on this new tire, as you can see in the picture.
The camera flash shows the reflective strip really well.

Last edited by jakereed; 09-24-08 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-24-08, 10:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
They used to have a race lite with the stripe. I had a 700-38 set with the reflection stripe. Came in handy when I rode more late night rides.

Old 09-24-08, 10:57 PM
Crast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll have to look around online and get some backup tires that I like so I don't have to settle for whatever is available at the LBS's.
My recommendation goes with the continental ultra sport. Not the most flat-proof tire out there, but better than most, and for $15 per tire it's great value. Only downside is the beads are hell to get on the rim the first time. But if you just want to have some spares ready, it's worth a try. B

ut then, my race light hardcase 32c's were a bear to get on, and off as well. So bad I decided I'm never putting them on a wheel again.
Old 09-24-08, 11:02 PM
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer

Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people get a thousand miles out of a go fast tire OMG

wish i knew what that felt like (rear tire of course)
Old 09-25-08, 12:09 AM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crast
My recommendation goes with the continental ultra sport. Not the most flat-proof tire out there, but better than most, and for $15 per tire it's great value. Only downside is the beads are hell to get on the rim the first time. But if you just want to have some spares ready, it's worth a try. B

ut then, my race light hardcase 32c's were a bear to get on, and off as well. So bad I decided I'm never putting them on a wheel again.
I too like Continental tires, I've used the 26x1.6 Sport Contact tires on my other bike with very good results.

The Continentals were a real pain to get on my Sun Mammoth rim, but worth the trouble.
With my 700C rims, tires are far easier to remove and put back on, especially on the Velocity Dyad rim.

Next time I'll probably get some Continental, or maybe also try Schwalbe tires.
Old 09-25-08, 05:09 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried the more expensive tires and found that I went through the tread really quickly and it didn't handle any different for me. But, I am not a racer, just a bike rider for exercise and fun.

I bought the cheap tires from nashbar. Time for me to swap the front to the rear at 2500+ miles. I have had one flat that I can remember, and it was going down hill at about 30, and I actually don't know what caused the flat. I am assuming a hit a sharp small rock, because the mark in the tube was very small. I am staying with the cheap tires as they are working for me. When I start having problems, I will switch to something else. A guy I bought a set of rollers from that used to work for a TREK dealer doesn't use Bontrager tires at all. He told me to stay away from them.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 09-25-08, 07:09 AM
Bone Head

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That kind of damage can be expected when you ride like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX4nUhURAJg&NR=1
Old 09-25-08, 07:16 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Is that really a hardcase tire?

Old 09-25-08, 07:48 AM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Is that really a hardcase tire?
Well, I guess not any more.
Old 09-25-08, 07:56 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I tried the more expensive tires and found that I went through the tread really quickly and it didn't handle any different for me. But, I am not a racer, just a bike rider for exercise and fun.

I bought the cheap tires from nashbar. Time for me to swap the front to the rear at 2500+ miles. I have had one flat that I can remember, and it was going down hill at about 30, and I actually don't know what caused the flat. I am assuming a hit a sharp small rock, because the mark in the tube was very small. I am staying with the cheap tires as they are working for me. When I start having problems, I will switch to something else. A guy I bought a set of rollers from that used to work for a TREK dealer doesn't use Bontrager tires at all. He told me to stay away from them.
Putting a well worn rear tire on the front is a really bad idea, if a rear tire blows, the worst that will happen is you break traction and drop the bike, If a front tire blows at speed, you go over the bars, Clydes don't fly very far, and land hard. If your rear is getting really worn, get one new tire, put the new one on the front, and the old front on the rear. Doesn't really extend the life of a tire, but it does mean that your not buying sets all the time. As for tires, last set I bought were Ritchey Tom Slicks, they have about 1900 miles on them now, and still look okay, generally happy with them, but I might try going to a slightly narrower tire ( 1.25"/31.75mm from the current 1.4"/35.6mm) and see how that works.
Old 09-25-08, 08:39 AM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That was my plan. Put my 2500 mile front tire that looks great, on the back, put the new tire on the front, and then ride until the back tire looks iffy, and switch front to back and put new on the front.

These are 23's for my road bike. I know that doesn't mean anything, but just in case you were wondering.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun

Last edited by flip18436572; 09-25-08 at 08:44 AM.