Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Uber clyde needs slick tires for mountain bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 12:00 PM
reno327

Bikes: 2008 Kona Smoke 2-9, 2014 Novara Randonee, 2009 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, Uber clyde here at 400#s......I dropped 10#s.....I'm looking for slick tires to replace the mountain tires on my old Trek 800. What are some suggestions for tires.....I ride mainly on asphalt and concrete.
Old 10-01-08, 12:13 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a pair of cheap ones at the co-op, can't think of the name though. They seem fine, very thick in fact. I paid $7 for the pair before my discount.
Old 10-01-08, 12:19 PM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental Sport Contact 26X1.6
Old 10-01-08, 03:14 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
I like my Bontrager Racelite Hardcase tires. About $40 each, but worth it if you want a fast, light, durable road tire with zero flats. LBS guy talked me into them. I had my doubts, but several thousand miles later, I dig 'em.
Old 10-01-08, 05:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I'd recommend something like this for your weight.
https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SURE+CITY+TIRE

The high pressure will help prevent pinch flats, while the 1.50" size is a good compromise between rolling resistance and "squish factor" for pot holes.
Old 10-01-08, 06:01 PM
theetruscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If tires popping is a real problem (I have no idea, I never carry more than 80 pounds of groceries, so my total weight on the bike has never crossed 330), why not get Nu-Tecks?
https://www.nu-teck.com/product.html

I have heard mostly good (but not stellar things), but you can't flat a solid tire.
Old 10-01-08, 09:18 PM
the_mac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theetruscan
If tires popping is a real problem (I have no idea, I never carry more than 80 pounds of groceries, so my total weight on the bike has never crossed 330), why not get Nu-Tecks?

I have heard mostly good (but not stellar things), but you can't flat a solid tire.
Tires popping is not a concern. Those tires are NOT ideal.

Let's think about this realistically. If you're carrying 75% of your weight on the back tire (pretty typical), you'll have somewhere near 300# being supported by that tire. At 60PSI, that's 5 inches of contact, and at 100PSI, that's 3 inches of contact.

You could get some skinny tires which will handle the 100PSI easily, but it won't be as comfortable a ride. You could also get some Schwalbe Big Apples, which come in a 26x2.35 that's rated to 330# per tire, and will provide a smooth ride while protecting your rims from dings.
Old 10-01-08, 10:00 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Kojak: https://www.schwalbetires.com/kojak
Comes in 26x1.35 and 26x2.0
Old 10-02-08, 09:45 AM
bcc
Large Member

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Bad Boy 700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakereed
Continental Sport Contact 26X1.6
+1

I've been running 700x28 version of these on my bike and they're great. I started off at 385 lbs, runing the tyres at 105 psi (their max). They're wearing very well (hardly any noticeable) and seem to be pretty puncture resistant so far.
Old 10-02-08, 05:11 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theetruscan

Most solid tires are not solid, the principal is that there are air filled cells inside the tire that are inside a lattice of solid material. The issue is that such tires are usually equivalent to running a 40PSI tire, in that much higher and it becomes impossible to install on a standard rim.
Old 10-02-08, 05:17 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reno327
Hello, Uber clyde here at 400#s......I dropped 10#s.....I'm looking for slick tires to replace the mountain tires on my old Trek 800. What are some suggestions for tires.....I ride mainly on asphalt and concrete.
You really need to work the normal formula backwards to find a tire that works. Seventy five percent of the weight is on the back tire, or 300lbs, at 100PSI that means you need a contact patch surface area of 3 square inches, to eliminate squish, typically this would mean a tire with a contact patch of 2" x 1.5" so the tire would need to be 2" or 51mm wide. There are very few high pressure slicks that are that wide, so probably the best idea is to run the widest, high pressure slick tire you can find, at the maximum rated pressure, and realise that rolling resistance is going to be higher then it would be with a lighter rider, however since most mountain bike tires have a terrible rolling resistance anyway, you should still gain a couple of MPH with the switch.