Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Tray Phone Mod

Old 09-21-18, 05:26 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin Tray Phone Mod

My Toughroad GX comes with an integrated Garmin mount tray that can be fitted straight into the cable/hydraulic cable system on the stem. I would really like a form of sat nav for my bike for exploring new routes and trails and just generally getting to places I don't know my way to, obviously my first option was to look at a Garmin Edge 25 as they are available for <£100 but I already own a Garmin Vivosport which I track my workouts with and don't plan on installing Cadence/Speed sensors to my bike.

I came across these 3M adhesive Garmin mounts online that I can use to quickly snap my phone onto the stem when I need to use a Sat Nav which looks like a perfect way to get the functionality I'm after. However I'm a liitle skeptical as to how well the 3M tape would hold over time after pot holes and bumps on the road. I couldn't think of anything worse than watching my beloved Pixel fall off and get run over.

Does anyone use their phone for something like this?
I couldn't get an off the shelf phone mount as the bars are already quite cramped and most of the mounts I have seen online are designed for iPhones.

I was looking at one on Amazon called:
Mlec Tech 1PC Universal Phone Bike Mount Adapter
(Sorry I would post a link but I'm new around here )