Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crashed my BMC ALR01 2019

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 12:32 AM
jamie194

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

Have very recently got in to road cycling and love it! (2 months) however have had a silly fall and wanted to know if my left shifter can be fixed or it has to be replaced. As I fell the left shifter took most of the brunt and has angled inwards slightly. No other damage to handlebars.

The groupset set is Shimano 105 R7000 and am not quite sure if a new lever is required?

image attached.
Old 06-22-19, 12:39 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Does it still work? If so loosen of the clamp, turn it straight, tighten the clamp. and go riding.
Old 06-22-19, 12:44 AM
jamie194

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes still operates fine. I just don’t know how to peel it back as it seems very secure and tight.
Old 06-22-19, 06:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
go to google and search for a drawing of the shifter, schematic type one, and you will see where the tightening bolt is and how to access it.
If you aren't interested in the mechanical stuff and or dont have long hex keys, get thee to a nunnery and a bike shop.
If your bars are carbon, if you do the loosening and tightening yourself, inform yourself about the torque suggestions, to avoid any "crunch" boo-boos going on.
Old 06-22-19, 12:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would suggest not tightening them too much. I set mine up "race tight"; tight enough to stay put under normal operation but loose enough to move with firm hand pressure so as to (hopefully) twist around the bar rather than breaking during an incident..
Old 06-22-19, 03:59 PM
djb

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I would suggest not tightening them too much. I set mine up "race tight"; tight enough to stay put under normal operation but loose enough to move with firm hand pressure so as to (hopefully) twist around the bar rather than breaking during an incident..
absolutely.
Someone smarter than me on here suggested this once and I remembered it when I set up a drop bar bike a few years back. Had a slow speed accident with it, but being loaded up touring, it puts more force on stuff when a bike goes down, and so while the hood got moved over, I was able to bang it back with my hand, and was glad it wasnt super tight, as being able to move certainly puts less force into the hood than if its on super super tight.
Old 06-22-19, 05:02 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
absolutely.
Someone smarter than me on here suggested this once and I remembered it when I set up a drop bar bike a few years back. Had a slow speed accident with it, but being loaded up touring, it puts more force on stuff when a bike goes down, and so while the hood got moved over, I was able to bang it back with my hand, and was glad it wasnt super tight, as being able to move certainly puts less force into the hood than if its on super super tight.
I set mine up looser than that; I can move them with a firm grip, no banging required. It is surprising how little twisting force you exert when cycling, on the handlebar controls, and the handlebar itself; I do not worry about them moving under normal operation.
Old 06-22-19, 06:23 PM
djb

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I set mine up looser than that; I can move them with a firm grip, no banging required. It is surprising how little twisting force you exert when cycling, on the handlebar controls, and the handlebar itself; I do not worry about them moving under normal operation.
I personally want tighter than just a firm grip to move them, but I figure the main thing is that they rotate with a good whack. I sprint for lights and stuff, so don't want them to move under any of those situations.