Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should MIPS be mandatory?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-01-19, 04:53 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts

The below bit of news is interesting. A class action lawsuit is being contemplated against helmet makers who aren't keeping up by providing protection such as MIPS against rotational injuries. What do you think about this? Is it time for the CPSC to upgrade their helmet rules? Should protection such as MIPS be mandatory?

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...l#.XULCquhJHb0
Old 08-01-19, 05:50 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I don't think the technology has yet been proven to that degree.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-01-19, 06:05 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Another law firm with time on it's hands.
Likes For berner:
Old 08-01-19, 06:38 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
No.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-01-19, 06:49 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The problem with a bicycle helmet is you're not supposed to use it-- a helmet doing what it's designed to do means something else has gone wrong. It's very easy to design a safer football helmet-- the helmets get bashed into one another, with human heads in them, dozens of times in a single game. So unless mfrs. start firing cyclists into various mobile and stationary objects to find out what really improves a helmet's performance, we're never going to know if MIPS makes any real, quantifiable improvement.

So no. I still see MIPS as increased weight, cost, and complexity. A kid with a $20 WalMart helmet on his noggin is better'n a kid with no helmet at all. Requiring MIPS might make the WalMart helmet $50, and then maybe that kid isn't on a bike at all.
Old 08-01-19, 11:01 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The problem with a bicycle helmet is you're not supposed to use it-- a helmet doing what it's designed to do means something else has gone wrong. It's very easy to design a safer football helmet-- the helmets get bashed into one another, with human heads in them, dozens of times in a single game. So unless mfrs. start firing cyclists into various mobile and stationary objects to find out what really improves a helmet's performance, we're never going to know if MIPS makes any real, quantifiable improvement.

So no. I still see MIPS as increased weight, cost, and complexity. A kid with a $20 WalMart helmet on his noggin is better'n a kid with no helmet at all. Requiring MIPS might make the WalMart helmet $50, and then maybe that kid isn't on a bike at all.
I take your point, but my wife just bought a Giro Register helmet for herself. It claims to be a MIPS helmet and it is the lightest helmet I have ever hefted. Ever. When she told me what it cost: $49. I thought it was a leftover from 2017 like the ones we already own were overstocks from earlier years. Nope. Current issue helmet. But once again, to your point, the helmet I own and the helmet my wife owned before she left it in her gym locker overnight (stupid gym policy mandating discard of any items left in lockers) are over 12 years old and have never seen impact! We only bought them to be compliant with club rules on group rides. On our daily tandem commute she was not in the habit of wearing a helmet. I did because my mirror is there. The hate and verbal abuse from drivers when she did not wear a helmet wore her down. So, no, we won't be spending a dollar more than necessary for a helmet because we both know it isn't what the helmet is made out of or the engineering behind its design, but in the roadcraft and skills improvement that prevent blunt force trauma to the head (not needing a helmet) when riding a bicycle.
Old 08-01-19, 11:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
No.
Old 08-01-19, 12:30 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
predation noun

1 : the killing by one living organism of another for food
2 : the act of injuring, exploiting, or plundering others for personal gain
Old 08-01-19, 05:17 PM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
MIPS is a joke. That little improvement isn't going to do anything to prevent head trauma. Helmets are only effective in mild crashes...it's absurd to think people have so much faith in helmets.

For instance...I'll challenge any avid cyclists to take a trained professional boxers punch to the head wearing a helmet...your still going to get a concussion and your still going to hurt.

A helmet is better than nothing, but it's so wrong that people fear base people who don't wear one.

The lousy strap mechanisms and fasteners should be more of a concern than a MIPS design. MIPs is a proprietary gimmick.

Cycling helmet technology hasn't changed much since the original bell foam jobbies came out...
Likes For SoreFeet:
Old 08-01-19, 06:13 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Still going with: No.

-Bandera
Old 08-02-19, 07:59 AM
eddy m

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
MIPS is a proprietary technology and a standard test of its effectiveness has yet to be defined. You might incorporate a test for rotation injuries in helmet standards, but the standards have never required a specific technology. So, no.

em
Old 08-02-19, 09:57 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
The first thing anyone asks when they learn that someone has died in a bicycle accident is: "were they wearing a helmet?". Never fails. The question is being asked a LOT in NYC because they just racked up their 18th cyclist killed this year which is more than all of last year (10?) and, of course it has to be the cyclists fault for not wearing a helmet. Of course a lot of cyclists do wear helmets. The overwhelming majority, in fact. Any day now helmets are going to be mandatory for all cyclists on public roads. MIPS probably not, but ordinary CPSC certified helmets for all adults (already in force for children), yep, its coming. Fat lot of good it will do. Helmet adoption is already over 90% and every year more cyclists are killed and injured in collisions with cars than in the previous year. And it isn't because more cyclists are riding. Not most cities anyway. NYC is about the only exception. I will say though that cyclists could ride much more defensively than they do. Lots of threads here on the effectiveness of this or that helmet, or light, or brake technology ... a consistent six second scan, and a willingness to yield, without question, the nanosecond your right of way is abrogated, will yield better results over time than the finest MIPS helmet or super bright daytime running light.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 08-02-19 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-03-19, 02:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by eddy m
MIPS is a proprietary technology and a standard test of its effectiveness has yet to be defined. You might incorporate a test for rotation injuries in helmet standards, but the standards have never required a specific technology. So, no.
Other manufacturers have their own, different, proprietary designs for mitigating rotational energy transfer to the brain: 6D, Bontrager, Kali, Leatt, Louis Garneau, POC and probably others.

Last edited by tcs; 08-03-19 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 03:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
The article sez the Virginia Tech test showed MIPS to be 'effective', but:
1) Snell testing has not found MIPS to be effective.
2) Some non-MIPS helmets have performed at the top of the Virginia Tech tests.

So:
a) What happens in real-world accidents?
b) How is that event accurately modeled in a controlled, repeatable test?

Last edited by tcs; 08-03-19 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 04:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Real plausibility issue for this as a class-action suit. They're going to have to show causation -in other words, that the injury wouldn't have occurred or wouldn't have been as severe with a MIPS helmet. That can't just be determined on a probability modeling basis, but needs to be shown for each individual case. It's going to be hard to find cases, and they're all going to present very different facts.

Anyone with a really good case isn't going to want to join the class and give up control of their own case to join up with probably weaker cases.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-03-19, 04:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I staunchly believe a science-based ratings system makes sense, by some group interested in doing such ratings.

But I'm staunchly against any forcible legal steps to push such requirements upon makers. Let people decide, if the testing and stats show improved performance and reduced likelihood of injury. It's on the user, anyway. Let them bear the full weight of their choices, one by one. Myself included.

JMO
Old 08-03-19, 08:41 AM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I studied some of this for a talk I gave on motorcycle crashes and some it may extrapolate. You decide.

High speed high energy crashes are what they are. You can protect yourself completely but you will look like a tech defusing a car bomb! Most crashes are falling from riding height to the ground. Forward momentum adds little energy (some but not as much as one might think) to the equation unless you high side or hit something before you scrub off all of the forward momentum. Thus, that is what helmets are best designed to do. Left side of the bell curve so to speak. MIPS may or may not help incrementally but some magic bullet, not a chance.

So buy a decent helmet certified by somebody. If it is not comfortable you likely won't wear it so make sure of that. Replace it every 5 years. Go out and enjoy. Some of us will have a horrific crash and live out our days eating through a tube. Nothing will change that. The alternative is to cover yourself in bubble wrap and never leave the couch.
Likes For Cyclist03516:
Old 08-03-19, 09:03 AM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Helmets are a rip off, as is almost everything cycling.....and we the cyclist/consumer are the happy victims of savvy marketing tactics.....

I absolutely advocate new technology like MIPS and WaveCel in cycling helmets, as well as mandatory use of helmets; I am all for tech improvements....BUT please consider the cost of that piece of (lighter is better) styrofoam covered plastic.
Manufacturers are charging us hundreds of dollars for us to feel safe?

Helmets/kit seem to be more of a fashion statement nowadays; its all about the vents and the paint job etc......The choice is mind boggling......but how much different is one from the next (MIPS and WaveCel is relatively new tech)?

So long as the cycling community does not seek to educate itself on technology we will always fall victim to manufacturers charging us excessively for anything cycling.....

i better stop.....

Safe cycling; dont forget to wear your helmets....
Old 08-03-19, 09:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin R
Helmets are a rip off, as is almost everything cycling.....and we the cyclist/consumer are the happy victims of savvy marketing tactics.....

I absolutely advocate new technology like MIPS and WaveCel in cycling helmets, as well as mandatory use of helmets...
Your second sentence confirms the conclusion of your first sentence.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-03-19, 09:38 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I've not seen any conclusive evidence that mips should be mandatory, it's licensed proprietary technology anyway so wouldn't of thought it could be part of such certification. I don't think you can force a manufacturer or importer into paying a license for such technology. However the safety standards can be improved to allow for rotational movement that doesn't conflict with Mips patents or designs. The fact that Mips is licensed technology is surely the reason it won't be part of the certification.

I haven't done extensive research but the impression I got from reading various test reports is the advantages of Mips are over-stated anyway and no substitute for increasing the physical protection in the helmet itself. Cycling is obsessed with low weight and that includes low weight helmets. Always trying to remove more material and use more advanced materials that cost a lot more just to create low weight products.

Lets not forget one minor impact and you are meant to replace the helmet. The high cost of Mips helmets might cause you to delay replacing that helmet which would mean reduced safety. The foam inside only compresses once and thats it.
Old 08-03-19, 05:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
If anything happens from a regulatory standpoint, the CPSC could conduct research to develop better evidence-based standards for bike helmets.

There's a MIPS helmet at Target for 35 bucks. It even looks pretty good. If people are paying hundreds of dollars for helmets, that's their own luxury.

https://www.target.com/p/bell-revolu...t/-/A-54051739
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-04-19, 10:09 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Helmets aren't even mandatory.

What next, airbag suits?
Old 08-05-19, 02:55 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
NO. Just no.
Old 08-06-19, 05:48 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I've not seen any conclusive evidence that mips should be mandatory, it's licensed proprietary technology anyway so wouldn't of thought it could be part of such certification. I don't think you can force a manufacturer or importer into paying a license for such technology.
I'm sure you're right. The CPSC -- if it ever addressed the issue -- would want to require rotational protection along with specifying some sort of test of that protection, leaving the details up to the manufacturers.
Old 08-06-19, 07:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I'm sure you're right. The CPSC -- if it ever addressed the issue -- would want to require rotational protection along with specifying some sort of test of that protection, leaving the details up to the manufacturers.
The article you linked made it clear they're looking for plaintiffs whose helmets weren't MIPS or Wavecell, but aren't specifying other forms of rotational protection.

Is there any real data that shows that rotational protection actually makes a difference outside of laboratory conditions? Honest question, not rhetorical. I don't know if anyone is creating a database of crashes showing the type and severity of injury and type of helmet, and I'm not sure such a thing is feasible. For one thing, if they are more effective, the crashes involving rotational protected helmets might not actually get recorded as they would be more likely to just be the "walk away" variety, and never show up in anyone's records.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.