Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Different Stiffness, Same Tubing... So Why?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 11:38 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts

Now that I've settled on three bikes that I really like, riding each regularly, I've noticed they seem to differ in stiffness even though they're all butted 531:

'79 Competition GS is by far the most whippy.
'71 Paramount is still pretty flexy, but less so than the Raleigh.
'78 Volare is the stiffest of the three, but still with some flex.

Is this variability a product of geometry? Brazing technique/materials? Builder's geographic location? My imagination?

Just something ricocheting around my skull on a Saturday morning; science, speculation and/or unfounded opinions are all welcome.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-14-19, 11:43 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
"Butted 531" came in a variety of gauges and butts. That could be part of it.

I suspect the lugset, especially the bottom bracket shell, also has an effect.

Not too mention how stiff the cranks are. That might affect it.

If the geometry differs that might affect your pedaling style and therefore frame flex.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 09-14-19, 11:54 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Yeah, 531 came in multiple gauges, and if the builder spec'ed a thicker gauge for whatever reason, the bike will be stiffer.

Chainstay crimping and length also affect stiffness, as well as oval vs round, overall frame size, geometry, etc.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 09-14-19, 02:49 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

The compounding of small differences. That makes sense. It still amazes me how differently two bicycles can feel and perform when they appear, on paper, to be nearly identical.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-14-19, 07:51 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
If you were to put the same wheelset on each bike, that would eliminate that variable. With a properly-tuned and properly-tensioned wheelset, just about ANY frameset feels more 'sprightly', 'responsive' or 'faster' than the best frameset on a junk wheelset. If you don't believe me, just TRY it!

Take the most 'sluggish' bike you have and re-tension the wheels properly. Then you do the exact same ride. Which feels faster or more responsive? You'll also notice the increase in speed and less effort is used to achieve that faster speed.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-14-19, 08:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
2nd @Cougrrcj = tires first, wheels, cranks (when under power), handlebars, seatpost (maybe), etc.

What's the clearance on the FD when in your sprinting gear?

Lots of things make a frame feel whippy or sturdy. Including of course tubeset, size of frameset?

case in point: SLX Merckx Corsa Extra, SLX DeRosa Pro - maybe 1year different, maybe 1cm different. Major difference in feel.
But it may be a case of tube substitutions on large frames, and\or fork differences.
Old 09-14-19, 08:41 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
2nd @Cougrrcj = tires first, wheels, cranks (when under power), handlebars, seatpost (maybe), etc.
Yeah, tires, too. I almost forgot that. I had bought my '86 Miyata 710 used, with cheap tires. It rode like crap. Turns out the PO had put one of those very thick/heavy 'thorn-proof' tubes in the front in a 23mm tire. When I replaced them with lighter/more supple 150tpi tires, it felt entirely different. The puncture-resistant tube alone weighed more than my new tube/28mm tire combo.
Old 09-14-19, 08:54 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
A fellow on the Internet-BOB message board uses some kind of ultrasonic device to measure the wall thickness of tubing. He created a spreadsheet with the results for all sorts of bikes. Check it out.
Old 09-14-19, 09:03 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have 2 Raleigh Super Course bikes, a '73 and a '78. Both are 531 3 main tubes, and same size, and similar gearing. Both have great ride quality, yet the '78 feels more lively, and seems to have a lighter, more racy feel, where the '73 has kind of a "Cadillac cruiser" type of ride. I love them both, and think the change is mostly due to different geometry. Viewed side by side the frame differences are slight, but it probably doesn't take much. I've never taken the time to take measurements, except seat tube length and handlebar reach, for fit, mostly. Some day I'll get around to comparing actual measurements. From the below pictures you can see how different the tire diameter is to the seat tube, like the gold '78 is more upright. Both bikes have 700c x 28 tires. The seatstay to seat tube angle looks a lot tighter on the gold '78, which leads to shorter chainstays. I keep meaning to swap wheels, to see if the tires make that much difference. Gearing is the same, except for the triple on the '73.

The '73 "Cadillac cruiser".

The "racy" '78.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 09-14-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-14-19, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
A fellow on the Internet-BOB message board uses some kind of ultrasonic device to measure the wall thickness of tubing. He created a spreadsheet with the results for all sorts of bikes. Check it out.
I've seen that before and have to question the accuracy, based on a few of the frames I know.
If what's listed that sound wrong is actually accurate, I'm shocked.
Old 09-14-19, 09:10 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've seen that before and have to question the accuracy, based on a few of the frames I know.
If what's listed that sound wrong is actually accurate, I'm shocked.
What looks wrong to you?
Old 09-14-19, 09:17 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
What looks wrong to you?
The absolute lack of consistency with the tubing specs perhaps? Doesn't seem possible.
Old 09-14-19, 10:06 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have 2 Raleigh Super Course bikes, a '73 and a '78. Both are 531 3 main tubes, and same size, and similar gearing. Both have great ride quality, yet the '78 feels more lively, and seems to have a lighter, more racy feel, where the '73 has kind of a "Cadillac cruiser" type of ride. I love them both, and think the change is mostly due to different geometry. Viewed side by side the frame differences are slight, but it probably doesn't take much. I've never taken the time to take measurements, except seat tube length and handlebar reach, for fit, mostly. Some day I'll get around to comparing actual measurements. From the below pictures you can see how different the tire diameter is to the seat tube, like the gold '78 is more upright. Both bikes have 700c x 28 tires. The seatstay to seat tube angle looks a lot tighter on the gold '78, which leads to shorter chainstays. I keep meaning to swap wheels, to see if the tires make that much difference. Gearing is the same, except for the triple on the '73.

The '73 "Cadillac cruiser".

The "racy" '78.
ok those two bikes may share a brand and model name but are apples v oranges
they Should ride and behave differently.

one item to note is the variability of assembly quality that you cannot see- beyond overheating of tubes and or gaps in the brazing, the quality of the tube metering or on a production bike notching can vary widely.
Old 09-14-19, 10:25 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
A quick check with pixelstick (mac app) plus my eyeballs says the '73 looks to be 72ª parallel vs about 74º for the '78. That's just from the photo. An actual protractor would be needed for accurate measurement. Even with that rough info, it explains the different feel. Early 70's bikes were meant to be able to handle gravel, as pro racing at that time still had gravel portions. I like 72 parallel bikes. They do have a cadillac sort of ride typically, but aren't quit as intuitive if you're trying to really shred a descent.

That's geometry and handling though, which is a different thing than stiffness. Stiffness differences are frankly blindingly obvious with a short test ride. I suppose as a mechanic I test rode thousands of bikes. I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of the differences. The stiff bikes just get up and go quicker. Flexy bikes feel heavy even if they are very light, and generally respond like a wet noodle.
Old 09-15-19, 10:32 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
A quick check with pixelstick (mac app) plus my eyeballs says the '73 looks to be 72ª parallel vs about 74º for the '78. That's just from the photo. An actual protractor would be needed for accurate measurement. Even with that rough info, it explains the different feel. Early 70's bikes were meant to be able to handle gravel, as pro racing at that time still had gravel portions. I like 72 parallel bikes. They do have a cadillac sort of ride typically, but aren't quit as intuitive if you're trying to really shred a descent.

That's geometry and handling though, which is a different thing than stiffness. Stiffness differences are frankly blindingly obvious with a short test ride. I suppose as a mechanic I test rode thousands of bikes. I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of the differences. The stiff bikes just get up and go quicker. Flexy bikes feel heavy even if they are very light, and generally respond like a wet noodle.
But Jan states they "plane"...

I too got to ride a bunch, mfg differences are just there. There was a California Masi that the shop could just not sell, decent size 58cm as Masi measured. I rode Masi bikes exclusively at the time, this one just felt Dead. Power zapping even. That was the only one like that. Weird. Would have been interesting to remove the paint and look for "cooked" tubes.
Old 09-15-19, 10:40 AM
samkl 

Originally Posted by clubman
The absolute lack of consistency with the tubing specs perhaps? Doesn't seem possible.
It seems generally correct to me. I assume whatever device he's using can't be totally accurate to 1/100th of a millimeter. Add in manufacturing tolerances, paint, rust, who knows what else, and it seems plausible.
Old 09-15-19, 11:00 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Seems like Bicycle Quarterly did a test with 3 identical frames using different tubes and the riders could tell the differences. It was a good test methodology that eliminated most of the biases. Bikes were all painted blue, just numbered 1,2, 3.

The frame design - angles and dimensions - as well as the tubing guage, wheels, and tires have a far greater impact on ride feel than does the type / manufacturer of the tubing.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-15-19, 11:05 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Thanks for saying that much more concisely than I was about to.

All the non-frame variables discussed above impact the overall ride. I think we all get that. I've swapped wheelsets, tires, saddles and posts, all kinds of stuff between my bikes out of curiosity or in pursuit of some elusive noise and yes, the ride changes. What doesn't change is what I'll call the "elastic response" of the frame itself (most obvious when, say, charging up a hill or aggressively taking off from a standstill). And that response, even in frames of the same size and material, which is what I've got over here, is what interested me.

I had no idea lug choice made any difference, for example. Always figured they were selected for aesthetics, along with maybe weight, and that was it.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-15-19, 12:42 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
As a frame builder I've learned that the stated specs on any tube and their actual measurements are often different. In the old days when using Columbus SL was a popular choice, I would weigh each chain stay and they would vary from 145 to 175 grams each. I could then pair the common weights together and select which pair would better fit a customer. Another common variation is that a tube's wall thickness does not agree with whatever it is supposed to be. It can vary either a little more or less. And again another common difference between tubes of the same manufacturer and model is where the butt is located within the tube. It can be off by over 10mm. Furthermore manufacturers purposely make tubes with differing butt lengths and steel hardness for different applications.

To add another variable beyond these manufacturing variables is that the builder can choose where to miter the tubes in relation to the butts. I teach my frame building class students to mark where the butts are located and roll them on the flat table to find where any curvature may be located before mitering. They can be bent up to an 1/8th of an inch. Some builders locate the long butt at the head tube while others on the other end and some pay no attention at all. Lots of variables.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-16-19, 06:53 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Seems like Bicycle Quarterly did a test with 3 identical frames using different tubes and the riders could tell the differences. It was a good test methodology that eliminated most of the biases. Bikes were all painted blue, just numbered 1,2, 3.

The frame design - angles and dimensions - as well as the tubing guage, wheels, and tires have a far greater impact on ride feel than does the type / manufacturer of the tubing.

Mark Petry
There was the Bruce Gordon article:

Tubing Article ? Nothing is better than a bike that fits
Old 09-16-19, 09:16 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
I’ve run across this with “similar” bikes-

To my way of thinking, in comparison- a bike with CrMo stays and fork should feel less “compliant” and ride “heavier,” if not more “stiff” than a bike with 531 stays and fork-

While they’re not identical- the geometry is similar between the 1985 versions of the full 531 framed Trek 720 and 531/CrMo framed Trek 620. I would lay money on the 620 feeling lighter and riding lighter and feeling more compliant than 531c 720. Again, I recognize it’s not an apples to apples comparison-and that 531c is SUPPOSED to be stiffer than the average bear. I would just figure CrMo chosen for a touring application would be heavier.

Ive also noticed this between my 1978 Trek TX700 and 1978 Trek 730 frames. Of course, there should be a difference- I just figured at this time DB531 was DB531- the 730 is light and compliant- I expected the TX700 to be like that, but longer- this smoother and more stable. I even initially built the TX700 almost entirely from parts off the 730- the TX700 is noticeably more stiff- from the fork to the frame than the 730. Any difference in the wheelbase or chainstay length wasn’t reflected much in the “give” of the ride. IMO and all that.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-16-19, 09:56 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
As a frame builder I've learned that the stated specs on any tube and their actual measurements are often different. In the old days when using Columbus SL was a popular choice, I would weigh each chain stay and they would vary from 145 to 175 grams each. I could then pair the common weights together and select which pair would better fit a customer. Another common variation is that a tube's wall thickness does not agree with whatever it is supposed to be. It can vary either a little more or less. And again another common difference between tubes of the same manufacturer and model is where the butt is located within the tube. It can be off by over 10mm. Furthermore manufacturers purposely make tubes with differing butt lengths and steel hardness for different applications.

To add another variable beyond these manufacturing variables is that the builder can choose where to miter the tubes in relation to the butts. I teach my frame building class students to mark where the butts are located and roll them on the flat table to find where any curvature may be located before mitering. They can be bent up to an 1/8th of an inch. Some builders locate the long butt at the head tube while others on the other end and some pay no attention at all. Lots of variables.
Great post.

One of the things I love about old steel bikes is how many variables there are, just in the frame/fork.
Old 09-16-19, 10:15 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
i've noticed that the presence of the small bridge between the chainstays can make a huge difference in how stiff a bike feels.
Old 09-16-19, 11:06 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912

Mark Petry

Funny, different generations I guess. This is the one I remember Where the riders could not correctly identify the differences...https://www.thetallcyclist.com/wp-con...Seven-Test.pdf(link from thetallcyclist.com, and crediting habanero cycles with providing it)

Seems in this test that similarly built bikes using different tubing were sufficiently similar in ride as to not be reliably distinguishable from each other.
Old 09-17-19, 05:46 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
Had not seen that one but thanks for sharing it. Tubing choice is an ongoing discussion with no clear answer, except "It all depends". I personally think (and I think an objective read of the articles does confirm) that other factors like tubing guage, frame design, tires and tire pressure have a lot more to do with how the bike feels than whether its Columbus, Reynolds, Tange, or other tubing.3

My new Mark DiNucci built "Allez 2.0" uses a special 853 tube set drawn specially for this bike, with very thin wall forks and stays and a somewhat unconventional frame design with a very relaxed head tube angle. Several forum members have ridden this bike and will confirm that it's unlike any other steel bike they've ridden.

So, steel still has some surprises in store for us, marketing trends be dammed.

Mark Petry

Last edited by mpetry912; 09-17-19 at 06:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.