Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Giant FCR 3 vs. Trek FX 7.2/7.3

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-21-07, 01:56 AM
burachan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know how the Giant FCR 3 compares to either the Trek FX 7.2/7.3 . The guy at my LBS told me that FCR 3 (CDN$500) is much closer in quality to the 7.3 ($600) than the 7.2 ($520 at another LBS) but I'm suspicious that he just wants to sell me the FCR 3 for some reason.
Old 08-21-07, 05:10 PM
jk__74

Bikes: Traitor Ruben, Trek Cobia, Trek Marlin SS, Salsa Chili con Crosso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently looked at these bikes as well. One thing you might want to check on the Giant is whether or not you will have room for fenders/wide tires - if you want to run them. If I recall the FCR bikes did not look like there was much room, particularly in the front.

I ended up buying a 7.3FX and am currently running it with Planet Bike Freddy Hardcore fenders and the stock 32mm tires.
Old 08-21-07, 07:40 PM
burachan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? The guy at the store said he'll be able to put finders and a rack on it but I'm not sure if I trust that guy.
Old 08-21-07, 08:01 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My wife looked at both these bike this Spring. She ended up being more comfortable on the Giant and that is probably what should be your driver. I personally like the Giant frame a little better. The welds were much cleaner.

They are both very light, fast bikes. But we went for the Giant. We ended up trading in the tires (kendas 32c) for some Continental slicks at 28C. This is probably a good upgrade. Other than that, we haven't put fenders on yet, but with V brakes, that should work. Got a sturdy Trek rear rack and ended up spending a little over $600 US.

If you can, I would advise scrapping the tires and upgrading to something more flat-proof.

If you are worried about the quality of the Giant, I would remind you that they are both quality bikes and you should get a long time out of either of them. I think we've put on may 1000 miles on it this summer and everything is OK. I haven't even needed to true the wheels!
Old 08-22-07, 12:02 AM
Jakelin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant FCR 3 that I use as a commuter. I didn't move to wider tires so I can not account for that, but I have fenders on it as well as a rear rack. It has been a great bike. I put a little over 1000 miles on it in the first two months and other than two minor adjustments that I stopped by the LBS on my way home it has been completely hassle free. Nice and light, very quick, and great handling. I can't say enough good stuff about it.
Old 08-23-07, 10:55 AM
burachan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. I'm thinking about taking the FCR 3 for a test drive over the weekend.
Old 08-24-07, 11:01 PM
shawk

Bikes: 07' Trek Madone 5.0, Schwinn Mirada Sport hybrid... wife-Trek 5000, Schwinn Mirada Sport hybrid.... both boys have Trek FX 7.2's.... still hauling my daughter (age 4) behind :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't comment on the Giant... but my wife has a 7.3 which is a very good bike and for the money even better. We picked up a couple 7.2's for my boys this year and they're extremely solid too. I'd buy both again... Good luck!
Old 08-25-07, 09:06 AM
JPMacG

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burachan
Does anyone know how the Giant FCR 3 compares to either the Trek FX 7.2/7.3 . The guy at my LBS told me that FCR 3 (CDN$500) is much closer in quality to the 7.3 ($600) than the 7.2 ($520 at another LBS) but I'm suspicious that he just wants to sell me the FCR 3 for some reason.
I have a FCR3. I've had it for about a year and put 2000 miles on it, mainly for commuting to work. It does have eyelets for fenders, although I have not added fenders to mine. I don't know if it will accommodate larger tires. I'm very happy with it. I can't comment on the FX7.2/7.3 except that I heard that Giant and Trek are made in the same factory in Taiwan. I believe Giant is the parent company. I head that smaller bike shops tend to carry Giant - something to do with sales volume and the cost of becoming a dealer. Maybe someone else here will chime in if this is not correct. Also, for whatever it's worth, Consumer Reports rated the FCR3 a best buy last year.

If I had the decision to make again I might look at drops rather than flat bars. I would not hesitate to go with either Giant or Trek.

Last edited by JPMacG; 08-25-07 at 09:12 AM.