Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Wheel size

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 02:02 PM
freeagent1970
just me

Bikes: a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel size

I was just wondering. I ride a mtb with 26 inch wheels on it. I made the switch to a bit smoother tire, with treaded sided a few months back. Is there any thinner rims i can put on the bike? I dont have my wheel size handy but its a standare wheel size on most mtb. I have a 4 year old hardtail. I do the maintenace on it and keep everything lubed. My derailers are always adjusted by my lbs and my brakes dont drag. It seems like im pedaling in cement all the time..granted im a big boy at 340 lbs. I struggle to do a few miles a day and when i see posts of other clydes doing centuries i get a bit envious. Any advice on a thinner wheel?
Old 06-09-08, 02:30 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
You don't need a thinner wheel, just throw on a pair of high pressure 26"X1.5" and ride with 100 PSI in the tiores. Schwalbe makesseveral that will fill the bill, as does Kenda. You can also hunt around and find some Chin Ho slicks (Kenda uses this company to manufacture their branded tires).

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 06-09-08, 02:36 PM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeagent1970
I was just wondering. I ride a mtb with 26 inch wheels on it. I made the switch to a bit smoother tire, with treaded sided a few months back. Is there any thinner rims i can put on the bike? I dont have my wheel size handy but its a standare wheel size on most mtb. I have a 4 year old hardtail. I do the maintenace on it and keep everything lubed. My derailers are always adjusted by my lbs and my brakes dont drag. It seems like im pedaling in cement all the time..granted im a big boy at 340 lbs. I struggle to do a few miles a day and when i see posts of other clydes doing centuries i get a bit envious. Any advice on a thinner wheel?
I changed my wide 26x1.95 tires to some Continental Sport Contact slicks @ 26x1.6 and there was a very big difference. I run them at 80 pound tire pressure, and I've also gotten only one flat in the 1200 miles I put on the new tires because they also have some puncture protection in them. They also come in 26x1.3, but I would recommend the 1.6 size.
Old 06-09-08, 02:42 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeagent1970
It seems like im pedaling in cement all the time..granted im a big boy at 340 lbs. I struggle to do a few miles a day and when i see posts of other clydes doing centuries i get a bit envious. Any advice on a thinner wheel?
Your bike should run smoother than you described. And suspect a wheel bearing issue that may be become more prevalent after you mount the bike.

If you have maintained your wheels and bearings, I just learned that if the cones are to tight, the wheel will freespin just fine, but if mounted with quick release hubs, tightening the spindle and locking compresses the cones even more adding substantial pressure to the bearings.

My oldest son has a Giant Yukon, is about 310# and has no issues with his 26" tires and keeps pace with his old man even when he is pulling son (my grandson), in trailer.
Old 06-09-08, 02:54 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
+1 on the above advice regarding bearings.

As for tires, if your rims are fairly narrow (which many are on later model MTBs) you could put a set of these on it:

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425

I put them on my wife's hybrid and she was amazed at the difference.
Old 06-09-08, 03:51 PM
freeagent1970
just me

Bikes: a silver one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a semi smooth tire on it now. but its wide..ill have the bearings looked at. The bike is maintained regularly and my guy is pretty good about spotting such issues but ill definately give it a whirl. As far as the tires go thanks alot, i might be ordeirng a set this week.