Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Thompson Seat Posts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 02:58 PM
WhaleOil
2008 Prouty

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.5 FX 2007 Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thompson Seat Posts

I've heard about them. I've read reviews about them, been to their website but never really gave a thought to one. I was talking to a fellow down at the lbs and he does a lot of heavy duty mountain biking. We went out to his car (bike ontop) and he had a Thompson Seat Post. I said why? He said they never break. He's about...I'd say...220. Not a flyspeck to some of you folks but I'm sure he puts torque on the drivetrain like bdinger. Anyhow....

I ordered one of those, a straight fork for my 4300, not suspension crap and a Wrench Force bike stand, price was right and it's make like a tank.

Thank You! -eric
Old 06-13-08, 03:12 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have on on my Cannondale Roadie. Nice post. No problems with it so I guess it's durable. Never had problems with any post (229- 245 lbs). I like the fact that it's no setback so it makes it easier to reach the bars on my race geo bike. What I like is that it attaches by the two bolts tht let you make very fine adjustments on the tilt. And it has a little scale on the side for recording position if youhappen to change it. I paid about $80.

Some have setback and some don't. Did you get the right style?
Old 06-13-08, 04:28 PM
avmanansala

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Thomson on my Cannondale. Love it. Switched from a Terry Fly with a zero setback Thomson and bought an offset for my Brooks. Great seat post.
Old 06-13-08, 04:46 PM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Thomson Elite for around 65 bucks, I love it. They are not only strong, but this post solved multiple seat post problems. I bought the non setback version in the 400mm length because I'm tall and there was a lot of seat post above the top tube. I needed the longer model so I can be sure that the post goes far enough into the seat tube as to not stress the joint where the seat tube and top tube are welded. This post also cured my problem with slipping down, and with the seat suddenly tilting backwards.
Old 06-13-08, 07:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 1,014 Posts
I got rid of the stock post on my CAAD9 and got a Thomson no set back in the 250mm. Always heard great things about them and was very easy to setup and adjust.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 06-14-08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-14-08, 04:35 AM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had a Thomson elite for over 10 years. It's fantastic, stays in adjustment, is easy to adjust for that matter and you don't have to worry about it failing. Worth every penny. I would never trade it for a fancy carbon post.
Old 06-14-08, 05:35 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Thomson Masterpiece on my Cannondale. It's a great post.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 06-14-08, 08:40 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
If you do a search on the road forum, I don't think that you will find anyone who ever reports a problem with them. They seem to be universally loved. I have 2, and am a big guy and never had a problem. Also as someone mentioned above the adjustment works really well to get just the right angle.
Old 06-14-08, 03:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 1,014 Posts
I notice a trend in this thread. Lots of Cannondale owners getting Thomson post.

Old 06-14-08, 03:31 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have used Thomson with no issues, very easy to adjust.. The older Campy Record Seatposts are just solid, the only issue is that they are 250mm length..

You can get thomson in 330 or 400mm lengths which is very nice..
Old 06-14-08, 03:39 PM
*WildHare*
Chi-Chi Monger

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Synapse, 09 Marin Alpine Trail 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I notice a trend in this thread. Lots of Cannondale owners getting Thomson post.
Add another Though it was in my MTB before I bought my C'dale. They are beautiful (and durable) pieces of art worth every penny. Don't forget their stems
Old 06-15-08, 08:10 AM
Fastflyingasian
Draft Producer

Bikes: fuji CCR 1.0 carbon,Surley Pacer,02 norco shore freeride MTB, cannondale rigid MTB, Fuji aloha 1.0, Monty trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a thompson elite and they are nice and strong. mine has survived many crashes and hard landings from drops and slamming onto the seat. expensive but very worth it. i have made many "set back" seat post from straight posts over the years. thats the only post i have ever had on a mtb and not made a custom set back.
Old 06-15-08, 08:17 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please don't call Thomson the King of seatposts. Thomson is ethical and has good products. CK is all about the marketing hype.
Old 06-15-08, 12:17 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
When I can, I'm going to get a Thomson.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-16-08, 06:52 AM
Big Scott
Large and in charge.

Bikes: IF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thomson is the King of seatposts... and stems for that matter (IMO).

Unless you have broken many seat posts and tried a slew of brands you cannot make this statement. I have and when they break it can be a very dangerous affair indeed. I broke one during a MTB race and had to finish the race standing the whole time... I broke one 10 miles away from the car and it took a core sample out of my leg (still have a nasty scar). I am very lucky it did not cut into my Femoral artery or I would not be here to write this post. Other then the fact that they are strong they also offer easy adjustments for those that like to dial their angles in. They may not be the lightest out there but they are very stout and that is a Clyde’s best friend. I have also broken a couple Crapendale frames and can attest that Aluminum is NOT Clyde friendly, Catastrophic failure is badd MMMMkay!

-Scott
Old 06-16-08, 06:58 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a bit of a hassle getting the seat on when you first mount it, the first Thomson was for a beater, which didn't let me mount certain saddles on its ancient post... the post is worth more than the bike, in all likelihood, and then I needed a non-setback that was easier to adjust than what had come on my cannondale, so again a thomson. No complaints here.

It won't ride the bike for you, but stems, handlebars, seatposts and pedals are where I take the whole "durability" issue seriously. Nothing like having your weight-bearing contact points fail. I'd rather spend twice the money for a piece of gear that has no negative reviews anywhere.
Old 06-16-08, 05:36 PM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thomson has held up my 340# rump for over a year now with no problems (not even a slip). I recommend them.