Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar end shifters losing strength

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 07:32 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my bar end shifters... I've used them for the last few years, and they've been great (Dura Ace shifters). Now the front shifter, which is friction only, doesn't seem to hold the derailleur on the big chainring. It shifts it up there fine, but fairly quickly the force of the derailleur pulling the cable pulls the derailleur to the small chainring. I'm thinking it's got to be some bearing or something in the shifter that isn't holding the friction properly? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-08, 07:45 PM
ogbigbird

Bikes: like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have never run bar end shifters, but on my downtube shifters i just tightened up the screw that holds them together and onto the frame. pf the front shifter is friction only, this may work if able to do with barend shifters. if not, all i could suggest is to buy another one. maybe just a good rebuild.
Old 09-29-08, 07:47 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the screw that holds the barcon to the mount tight? Are your cables frayed or damaged inside the cable?
Old 09-29-08, 07:48 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Did you tighten the big screw to see if that made a difference? If not, a serrated washer/spacer inside can be worn from use.
Old 09-29-08, 09:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Did you tighten the big screw to see if that made a difference? If not, a serrated washer/spacer inside can be worn from use.

Ditto. I found that the central screw doesn't really hold if it's tightened to Shimano's specs. I got the biggest screwdriver that would fit in the slot and really torque them down.

FWIW: I have one set of Shimano bar-ends that are still working perfectly, 17 years after I purchased them. If you want to risk a trip to this side of the Columbia, I'll show 'em to you.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-30-08, 06:18 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How long has it been since you replaced your cables and housing? Those bar ends are about as near bulletproof as you can get - but, cables and housing just last so long, and I'd just about bet that's your problem. Also, make sure your cables are not gunked up (sorry about the technical jargon) where they pass under the BB.
Old 09-30-08, 07:21 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another thought ...

Is there any chance that some kind of lube got inside the shifter? Those are not meant to be lubricated. If you find some oil (???) inside then clean up all the parts, reassemble and try again.
Old 10-01-08, 02:16 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
O.K.- so I went to my favorite LBS and asked what they thought. Turns out it's quite common that the sifter itself fails- What happens is there's a plastic cap (black) that covers the pressed disc which holds the bearings. He took the lever off and showed me that one of the bearings had dislodged and was wedged under the side of the plastic cap.

Now just to be fair, I am very hard on my bike, and just raced a few cyclocross races with the bar ends. I don't remember ever bashing the shifter or crashing on them, but then again I abuse my bike pretty well.

Thanks for the input though!