Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Blogger's Forum
Reload this Page >

Doug’s 2019 build and ride

Blogger's Forum Whether it's a cycling blog, or just your personal page, this is the place to share ideas and links.

Old 02-24-19, 11:18 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Bikes: Cheap ones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Getting into the hobby via commuting and will document my progress here for anyone who’s interested. I’m in terrible shape right now so this should indeed be interesting, if not entertaining!

I used to pride myself on my hilly, 4 mile commute that I traversed on a 24” steel BMX. It was fun and kept me in great shape. Now I work a deskier job further away, have gotten out of shape and am looking for a change as the weather improves.

My commute is now realistically too far to pull on a BMX (about 11 miles each way) so I’ve acquired a proper road bike. I rode flatland BMX as a youngster but sold my last flatland bike in 2018. I still have the 24” GT that I bought used for $75 a decade ago. I also have a TREK 930 single-track 26” mountain bike that I converted to a hybrid of sorts - the bike was free, the road tires were cheap and I shoved some dowels in place of the shock material in the front suspension.

Bottom line, I’m very frugal and as such have never had any reason to complain about the quality of my bikes. I take pride in them, in fact.

Building a cheap road bike bike now with panniers and fenders to take me the 100 or so miles a week I’ve otherwise been commuting via car.

Last edited by Dschmale; 02-27-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 11:25 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Bought a cheap BikesDirect scratch and dent to try out a “proper” road bike. $250 bought me an aluminum frame, carbon fork, aero bars and a shamino 105 drivetrain - save for the Tiagra front derailleur. I’ll try to stuff some 28mm gator skins on the rims to hopefully mitigate punctures and improve overall comfort.

In in the meantime, I spent today tuning up my converted mountain bike to attempt the commute this Tuesday. It’ll rain tomorrow and I don’t want my first ride to be miserable.

The plan is to ride to the gym by my work, lift for a few minutes while I’m warm, shower and head into the office. Start with two days a week and hopefully work up to 4-5. Goal is 100 miles/week by April, lift some weights and get the diet in check.

I’ll post some pictures of my ghetto bikes and journey as soon as my post count allows.
Old 02-25-19, 08:18 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Holy hell did I have a morning. Got a hair up my ass to ride my bike to work on my old mountain bike with 2” street tires. 11 miles on a bike that slows down down hills. Winds were crazy. Cold too.

I got 7 miles from home and the snow run off has made the creeks really high. I forded one section ok. It was dark so I really couldn’t see how bad it was. Hit the next one at speed and damn, water almost to my axles. Yikes. Come to a third, hit it at speed and it was either icy or algae underneath because I ate it hard into like 8” of running, ice cold water.

Fortunately I was four miles from work with my frost bitten toes. Then I realized I’d left my work clothes at home. Dammit! Can’t work in a soaking wet track suit. Turned around, walked back through the creeks and rode the seven miles back home FREEZING cold.

Probably foing to wait for for better weather to try again. Or do it tomorrow and walk the creeks - with my work clothes packed.
Old 02-26-19, 11:37 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Pictures!
Here's my Beater that I crashed yesterday. It's a 90s TREK 930 single-track mountain bike that I put 26x1.95 road tires on, spray painted, sticker bombed and set-up. I love it for a workout but damn if she isn't inefficient as all hell. Sturdy though. No complaints after dumping it on the cranks, gear-side, in the water on concrete.

My 24" GT BMX on my Xterra:

Old 02-28-19, 01:55 PM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Loose assembly

I should really get a bike stand...
Crazy afternoon. Got a text that my new project arrived via fedex so I sped home to put it inside. Unboxed and partially assembled it, then returned to work only to get a flat tire (on my car) half way. No biggie. Except the wheel was frozen on and required striking and kicking for a half hour. Back to work just in time for the next crisis. Good times.

So far, the bike looks great and was an unbelievable deal. The “scratches” on the fork are minuscule and mostly inwards towards the tire so won’t ever be noticed. It’s not “light” by modern standards, but it’s not exactly heavy. Weighed in at 22lbs even. Shamino tiagra and 105 components, 22lbs and pretty good looking for $250 is the deal of a lifetime. Very pleased.

Highly recomend BikeIsland.com for a first or beater bike. Hell, at this price, buy it, strip it and junk the frame. Their customer service was great as well.
Old 02-28-19, 09:33 PM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

The darkness.

I rode it! Sort of. Tire install meant taking a dremel to the rear brake cantilevers but now I have plenty of clearance for the 700x28s. Installed Continental Gatorskin hardshell 700x28s front and rear (could probably run a 30 up front!). Need to true some out of round on the rear wheel. The front is as solid as I could hope for.

Installed and set up the brakes and did nothing to the derailleurs but took it for a spin to see how it works “off the stand”. Need to dramatically reduce the travel on both shifters. Also need to adjust the FD a tad. Once I shifted a few times, the chain rubbed against the FD while on the lower sprocket. Easy enough. I think with some adjustment I’m going to be extremely happy with this thing!!!

this weekend I’ll spray paint the frame matte black over the decals. All of the branding is under a clear coat and can’t be peeled off. I don’t like branding. Tested some satin 2x rustoleum on the drop out emblems and you’d never guess they were painted! Hell, I’ll probably sticker bomb the thing for some visibility and theft protection. Throw a little color on there!

Last edited by Dschmale; 02-28-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 08:37 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Rollin

Set up the derailleurs and went for a brief ride this morning. Need to install the lights and computer but it’s otherwise ready to rock. I’m disappointed in the front derailleur cable though. It had no end on it and frayed badly as soon as I tightened it down. I may solder it together or something. It bothers me. Shifts nicely though.

Sticker bombed the frame and sprayed all the other exposed branding satin black to match the frame. Hoping to put out some miles on it later this week.
Old 03-14-19, 07:27 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Put 21 miles on it Sunday. Looked like a proper dork in my yellow safety vest but everyone else riding that early was similarly dressed. We shared waves when passing.

The bike rode great for a while but I think the rear derailleur hanger got bent in shipping. It skips a bit at times when the front is on the climbing cog and I couldn't adjust it out with cable slack. I'm out of shape though. Between the 20 pounds of gear in the panniers and my stone legs, it was tough going for the last half. The weather has improved to where I'll start trying out the commute for a bit next week.
Old 03-14-19, 07:34 AM
Lemond1985

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Sir, you are the King of Stickerbomb Paint Jobs. I use a few sometimes to cover up paint chips and stuff, but I don't think I have the Mad Skilz to do a whole frame like that. Of the two, I like work on the 930 Trek Singletrack slightly better. Though I imagine the Dawes is "a slightly faster bike", to put it mildly.
Old 03-15-19, 07:11 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Sir, you are the King of Stickerbomb Paint Jobs. I use a few sometimes to cover up paint chips and stuff, but I don't think I have the Mad Skilz to do a whole frame like that. Of the two, I like work on the 930 Trek Singletrack slightly better. Though I imagine the Dawes is "a slightly faster bike", to put it mildly.
Thank you sir! That's high praise. I too prefer the Singletrack job but wanted something different and more visible. I think the contrast to the matte black turned out nicely. It's not for everyone but it gets attention. I got cat-called while cruising on the roadie yesterday afternoon by some young girls. That was good for the ego and quickly validated my choice of "paint job".
Old 03-18-19, 06:14 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Originally Posted by Dschmale View Post
The bike rode great for a while but I think the rear derailleur hanger got bent in shipping. It skips a bit at times when the front is on the climbing cog and I couldn't adjust it out with cable slack. I'm out of shape though. Between the 20 pounds of gear in the panniers and my stone legs, it was tough going for the last half. The weather has improved to where I'll start trying out the commute for a bit next week.
Rode some more this weekend. Took the rack and panniers off it and it flies. The skipping rear derailleur turned out to be the panniers hitting the spokes! Climbing gear was just a coincidence that probably corresponded more with speed, terrain and cadence than the actual location of the chain in front. Returning to a traditional seat and getting some proper padded shorts to hopefully mitigate any circulation issues downstairs. Adjusted the rear derailleur a bit to bring it back in and it shifts nicely and doesn't skip with the bags removed.
Old 03-18-19, 06:36 AM
Lemond1985

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Dschmale View Post
Holy hell did I have a morning. Got a hair up my ass to ride my bike to work on my old mountain bike with 2” street tires. 11 miles on a bike that slows down down hills. Winds were crazy. Cold too.

I got 7 miles from home and the snow run off has made the creeks really high. I forded one section ok. It was dark so I really couldn’t see how bad it was. Hit the next one at speed and damn, water almost to my axles. Yikes. Come to a third, hit it at speed and it was either icy or algae underneath because I ate it hard into like 8” of running, ice cold water.

Fortunately I was four miles from work with my frost bitten toes. Then I realized I’d left my work clothes at home. Dammit! Can’t work in a soaking wet track suit. Turned around, walked back through the creeks and rode the seven miles back home FREEZING cold.

Probably foing to wait for for better weather to try again. Or do it tomorrow and walk the creeks - with my work clothes packed.
Wow! Those are some really challenging conditions. Most people would have made the "phone call of shame" at that point. Your determination will serve you well, I predict. Cycling's a tough sport, but because of that, cyclists need to be tough people. And a few commutes like that one will definitely toughen a person up.
Old 03-19-19, 06:29 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Put a proper seat on the road bike and installed a new (old) pannier rack. The rack places the load lower and will keep the damn bags from swinging into the spokes like the mountain bike rack. I was concerned about circulation through the perineum on long rides, but the design of the new seat coupled with bike shorts should suffice to keep things circulated. In addition to being ugly as sin, the old seat blocked my glutes and hamstrings from engaging well and was hard to stay seated on. It was a bad idea. Also, I took a fat bike from a friend on loan while he moves into a new place. I love the thing. I'm going to try my best to trade him or buy him out of it. It's a heavy pig but it's so much fun!
Old 03-19-19, 06:33 AM
Dschmale
BMX commuter gone roadie

Fat bikes with hydraulic brakes, front suspension and lock-outs are yummy

New rack and seat