Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New to cycling need help on getting a new bike...

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 03-13-19, 10:03 PM
NortoDuneM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello! So I searched thru the forums and I didn't see my specific question being answered.

I want to get a bike that will support 260+LBs at 5'10" frame. I'm getting a bike specifically for fitness reasons. I've been fast walking a lot recently and I want to change it up.

so from my cursory scouring of these forums most of what I'm seeing is that it looks like I need to spend above $300 to get something for my specific body weight?

can I get a decent bike for around the $150 ballpark?

(also I've seen people recommend fat bikes but others recommend against it)

which bikes would you all recommend? I'd rather not spend $300. All I'm seeing around here are bikes being recommended I'm the 1k+ range. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-14-19, 01:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
If your budget is that low, you're better off looking on craigs list for a second hand bike. An old hard-tail mountain bike (with a non-shock fork) makes for a sturdy, great riding bike. A "fitness bike" like one of the Trek FX hybrids would also be great.

The problem with $150 bikes is that they suck, you'll hate them and you'll probably never ride it.
Old 03-14-19, 05:55 PM
NortoDuneM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
If your budget is that low, you're better off looking on craigs list for a second hand bike. An old hard-tail mountain bike (with a non-shock fork) makes for a sturdy, great riding bike. A "fitness bike" like one of the Trek FX hybrids would also be great.

The problem with $150 bikes is that they suck, you'll hate them and you'll probably never ride it.

thanks for your response. Yeh I'm now seeing what you are saying. So what Trek FX bike should I be looking for for my size? I'm not going to be doing any mountain climbing pr rough riding just mainly riding on street and sidewalks... occasional grass terrain.
Old 03-14-19, 06:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
If you look here:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

They put you in a Large, but they also say "consult our experts at your local bike shop" because your proportions may be different. The main differences between the lower end models appears to be drive train and wheels but it should hold up to your intended use just fine.

I'm not trying to push Trek by any means, there are other similar bikes at most other manufacturers, so if you want to buy a new one, finding a friendly bike shop and getting something there would override a specific brand.

These bikes are inexpensive enough that if you really get into riding, you can resell the bike for nearly what you paid and get something fancier.
Old 03-14-19, 08:04 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Also check out the Giant escape line
Old 03-16-19, 03:32 PM
jc650

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock and Secteur and a Cannondale Synapse 5

I would strongly consider a mountain bike unfortunately not a 150$ one. You donít need to go off road to enjoy the advantages of a mountain bike. I have two road bikes and a mountain bike. The mountain bike is the most useful and even when I want to just ride around town I donít worry about curbs or potholes or anything like that. If you donít want the knobby tires of a mountain bike you can always buy the wider commuter tires And slap them on. Like someone else said buy yourself a decent one, meaning a non big box store bike. Youíll enjoy it and tend to ride it much more than a shoddy bike from a place like wal mart.
Old 03-17-19, 06:39 PM
NortoDuneM

Originally Posted by jc650 View Post
I would strongly consider a mountain bike unfortunately not a 150$ one. You donít need to go off road to enjoy the advantages of a mountain bike. I have two road bikes and a mountain bike. The mountain bike is the most useful and even when I want to just ride around town I donít worry about curbs or potholes or anything like that. If you donít want the knobby tires of a mountain bike you can always buy the wider commuter tires And slap them on. Like someone else said buy yourself a decent one, meaning a non big box store bike. Youíll enjoy it and tend to ride it much more than a shoddy bike from a place like wal mart.

thanks. Which mountain bike would you recommend for my size?
Old 03-17-19, 06:41 PM
NortoDuneM

Originally Posted by coney462 View Post
Also check out the Giant escape line

bike shop guy recommends trek serves and or giant cypress for me. comfort hybrids. Should a giant escape be better?
Old 03-17-19, 08:35 PM
jc650

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock and Secteur and a Cannondale Synapse 5

Originally Posted by NortoDuneM View Post
thanks. Which mountain bike would you recommend for my size?
Iím 6í03 and I rode an XL Mtn bike frame or 21Ē frame. Probably a large for your size but any decent bike shop will fit you to the appropriate size.
Old 03-21-19, 08:03 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Originally Posted by NortoDuneM View Post
bike shop guy recommends trek serves and or giant cypress for me. comfort hybrids. Should a giant escape be better?
The main difference is that the Cypress is a comfort bike and the escape is a fitness bike. I think the escape is more versatile, but both are good choices. Neither will break the bank. I was lucky to find an escape 2 that was 1 year old for $200, in good condition with only some minor scratches on the frame. but that is a rare find on craigs list
Old 03-21-19, 08:11 AM
Synack42

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I got back into biking last year, weighing around 330 (~5' 10") at the time honestly... (Down to 230 now, I must be doing something right...)

Anyways, I actually picked up a $25 Magna (mountain-style) off Craigslist at the time, knowing it was just a cheap beater. My reasoning was that it was a heavy steel frame, and I'd rather destroy a cheap 26" wheelset and replace with parts from other donor bikes while losing the weight. Honestly, it worked out fine though you definitely need to be ready to learn and tinker with things along the way to keep it running smooth. I also did need to replace the rear wheel along the way after an unplanned curb drop, but I did get over 800 miles on it last year.

I recently picked up a used Diamondback aluminum frame and put it back together with some better components. It's still very much a budget build but it definitely let me start to appreciate the upgraded parts.

Not saying it's a great strategy, but if you like to wrench on things it's a great learning experience.