Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cadence?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 11:17 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I have a problem maintaining cadence over 85. My legs sometimes try to slip off pedals when I spin fast. Is that normal? Can't imagine going over 100 rpm. Those who spin so fast have to tie their shoes to pedals, right?
Most people here are using clipless pedals, which do attach one's shoes to the pedals.
Old 01-17-12, 12:34 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Inertia isn't the same thing as resistance. The Computrainer varies the resistance but its inertia is largely determined by the physical mass of the flywheel. The Computrainer's load generator is "tuned" for a particular flywheel size which is why you can't (or shouldn't) change the flywheel mass. If you switch to a different brand of trainer (say, a set of rollers, or a wind trainer, or a fluid trainer with either a small or a large flywheel) you'll see that your "comfortable" cadence will change.
Right, but from a physics standpoint; inertia being an objects resistance to changes in velocity, it is much more relevant to accelerating up to speed than it is to maintaining a consistent speed. Why would inertia of the flywheel affect the cadence at which I am able to comfortably produce the most power?
Old 01-17-12, 01:03 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Varies a lot by power level, gearing and slope. Here, for example, is the cadence vs. slope used by Chris Anker Sorenson on stage 19 of last year's TdF (from Modane, over the Telegraphe and Galibier, ending at Alpe d'Huez).

BTW, although this is just one rider during just one race, this pattern is pretty typical. I've seen lots of files from many different riders in many different kinds of rides, road races, crits, time trials, and just toolin' along, that show essentially the same thing. Cadence varies a lot during the course of a ride or race, it varies a lot according to the slope you're on, it varies with the power you're putting out, it varies with the gear ratios you're using, and when folks tell you "my cadence averages X" or "keep your cadence above Y" they usually leave out all of that information. Plus, as you continue to ride and your power output improves, your cadence will naturally change all by itself. This is why cadence is pretty much a red herring that you should ignore: it depends on all of those things and without knowing or understanding the context, in isolation it doesn't tell you anything useful.

Thanks. That is really helpful and informative.
Old 01-17-12, 01:22 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Debusama
Right, but from a physics standpoint; inertia being an objects resistance to changes in velocity, it is much more relevant to accelerating up to speed than it is to maintaining a consistent speed. Why would inertia of the flywheel affect the cadence at which I am able to comfortably produce the most power?
Because the wheel speed isn't consistent and our legs don't produce constant torque. Max torque (or pedal force) is higher than average torque (or force), and on most trainers the rotational inertia is only a small fraction of the translational inertia we experience on the road.
Old 01-17-12, 02:29 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because the wheel speed isn't consistent and our legs don't produce constant torque. Max torque (or pedal force) is higher than average torque (or force), and on most trainers the rotational inertia is only a small fraction of the translational inertia we experience on the road.
Wut???
Old 01-17-12, 05:17 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Cadence varies a lot during the course of a ride or race, it varies a lot according to the slope you're on, it varies with the power you're putting out, it varies with the gear ratios you're using, and when folks tell you "my cadence averages X" or "keep your cadence above Y" they usually leave out all of that information. Plus, as you continue to ride and your power output improves, your cadence will naturally change all by itself. This is why cadence is pretty much a red herring that you should ignore: it depends on all of those things and without knowing or understanding the context, in isolation it doesn't tell you anything useful.
The problem isn't with the red herring of cadence, but with the strawman you're creating. I'm not aware of anyone who writes professionally about training who even implies that one's cadence should be "x" in all conditions. Rather, it's presented in context, whether it be on the flat, on hills, sprinting or otherwise, because these all require different cadences at different times. In my experience, the same thing occurs over coffee/beer/whatever in informal conversations after a ride.

It is an issue that needs to be discussed with newer riders, because there is a sweet spot for each rider where the best balance between cardio and muscle effort occurs, and yes, it does vary among cyclists and is further fitness- and situation-dependent. Ignoring the whole issue, which you seem to imply to be the way to handle it, would be a disservice to a new rider.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-17-12, 05:22 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually average 90-95.
Old 01-17-12, 05:29 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Depends how I'm feeling on the days I ride. Some days I keep the cadence somewhere around 50-60 (estimated) and let my leg muscles do the work. Other times I keep it higher, I'd reckon 80-90, and get a bit of a CV workout. Some days I chop and change. I used to try and mash my way up hills and did it for a while (being a heavy guy it's easy to put a lot of weight on the pedals) but soon found that if I misjudged a hill I'd power up the first part and then burn out, so when I encounter a hill I constantly remind myself to just keep the pedals turning smoothly rather than mashing.
Old 01-17-12, 06:55 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by revchuck
The problem isn't with the red herring of cadence, but with the strawman you're creating. I'm not aware of anyone who writes professionally about training who even implies that one's cadence should be "x" in all conditions. Rather, it's presented in context, whether it be on the flat, on hills, sprinting or otherwise, because these all require different cadences at different times. In my experience, the same thing occurs over coffee/beer/whatever in informal conversations after a ride.

It is an issue that needs to be discussed with newer riders, because there is a sweet spot for each rider where the best balance between cardio and muscle effort occurs, and yes, it does vary among cyclists and is further fitness- and situation-dependent. Ignoring the whole issue, which you seem to imply to be the way to handle it, would be a disservice to a new rider.
OK, then, since those cadence recommendations are presented in context, can you show me examples where "sweet spot" recommendations are given for the power and crank torque that each rider should use? We know that power = cadence * crank torque (* a constant) so the context should be either power or crank torque. If you don't give a recommended crank torque (or power) whenever you give a recommendation about cadence, that would be a disservice.
Old 01-17-12, 06:59 PM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
85-105

I aim for 95-100 on long flats.
Old 01-17-12, 07:42 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
OK, then, since those cadence recommendations are presented in context, can you show me examples where "sweet spot" recommendations are given for the power and crank torque that each rider should use? We know that power = cadence * crank torque (* a constant) so the context should be either power or crank torque. If you don't give a recommended crank torque (or power) whenever you give a recommendation about cadence, that would be a disservice.
The context within which this is presented concerns the activity - climbing, sprinting, time trialing, etc. Specific cadences aren't given, but ranges. Your arbitrary introduction of a locked-in power/cadence standard would work only in a theoretical world where all cyclists are identical. Tom Boonen and I might both like to cruise with a 90 rpm cadence, but there would a huge difference in power (and speed) between us. The "sweet spot" varies among individuals, and even with an individual it will vary based on fitness and other factors. We all find our own eventually.

This needs to be discussed with newer cyclists because pedaling at a higher cadence (~90 rpm) is counter-intuitive. Almost all of us grew up pedaling our bikes relatively slowly as kids. Pedaling slowly puts the majority of effort on our legs; pedaling quickly puts the majority of effort on our cardiovascular system. Somewhere between the extremes, usually in the 85-95 rpm range, is where most of us find our sweet spot.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-17-12, 07:47 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
85-95 usually. When I was starting out, that rpm seemed really fast to me. now my max is around 115, that being the point at which I start to bounce in the saddle. As my legs get stronger, I think I'll be able to hold that and hopefully up to 120 or 125 without bouncing.
Old 01-17-12, 08:12 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by revchuck
The context within which this is presented concerns the activity - climbing, sprinting, time trialing, etc. Specific cadences aren't given, but ranges. Your arbitrary introduction of a locked-in power/cadence standard would work only in a theoretical world where all cyclists are identical. Tom Boonen and I might both like to cruise with a 90 rpm cadence, but there would a huge difference in power (and speed) between us. The "sweet spot" varies among individuals, and even with an individual it will vary based on fitness and other factors. We all find our own eventually.

This needs to be discussed with newer cyclists because pedaling at a higher cadence (~90 rpm) is counter-intuitive. Almost all of us grew up pedaling our bikes relatively slowly as kids. Pedaling slowly puts the majority of effort on our legs; pedaling quickly puts the majority of effort on our cardiovascular system. Somewhere between the extremes, usually in the 85-95 rpm range, is where most of us find our sweet spot.
Cool. So you're saying you *do* give pedal force or crank torque recommendations to new riders along with the recommendation that they pedal at 90+ rpm. So, here's a simple question: for a new rider, what pedal force in N or crank torque in Nm recommendations do you give?
Old 01-17-12, 08:21 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. So you're saying you *do* give pedal force or crank torque recommendations to new riders along with the recommendation that they pedal at 90+ rpm. So, here's a simple question: for a new rider, what pedal force in N or crank torque in Nm recommendations do you give?
As much as you want to point to C A-S's data and say cadence is a red herring, you can clearly see that when he's climbing he turns over at about 80 rpm, and when he's cruising he turns over the pedals at around 90 rpm. Of course there's variability to the data, but there are very clear clusters of data there.

Every cycling coach I've seen/spoken to/read has specified a target cadence range for certain activities. Climbing is typically recommended at 70-85 rpm, cruising 85-100rpm, and attacking/sprinting > 100rpm. There's nothing inconsistent in the data that you posted with these very common cadence range targets.
Old 01-17-12, 09:02 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I average 99 on flat rides, but with no big hills or stops, I usually have to think to stay below 110. I don't understand why my body wants to pedal so fast, I feel like it could be tiring my lungs out more, but oh well.
Old 01-18-12, 12:52 AM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
I average 99 on flat rides, but with no big hills or stops, I usually have to think to stay below 110. I don't understand why my body wants to pedal so fast, I feel like it could be tiring my lungs out more, but oh well.
oxygen is (sort of) unlimited keep it up
Old 01-18-12, 09:38 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by svtmike
Every cycling coach I've seen/spoken to/read has specified a target cadence range for certain activities. Climbing is typically recommended at 70-85 rpm, cruising 85-100rpm, and attacking/sprinting > 100rpm. There's nothing inconsistent in the data that you posted with these very common cadence range targets.
Every coach? Hmmm. I've certainly seen/spoken to/read coaches who don't specify a cadence range like that. I think you need to see/speak/read more coaches. Do all your coaches specify a target pedal force range or power output for certain activities? You know, "Climbing is recommended at X watts, cruising at Y watts, and attacking at Z watts"? If cadence * crank torque (* a constant) = watts, why do these coaches recommend the same cadence range for guys whose FTP is 200 watts and guys whose FTP is 400 watts? If you look at other racers data files, you'll see that freely-chosen cadence varies with slope -- typically, the steeper the slope the lower the cadence. Your coaches, do they say "when climbing an X percent slope you should use a cadence in the range of THIS but when climbing a Y percent slope you should use a cadence of THAT"?
Old 01-18-12, 10:01 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every coach? Hmmm. I've certainly seen/spoken to/read coaches who don't specify a cadence range like that. I think you need to see/speak/read more coaches. Do all your coaches specify a target pedal force range or power output for certain activities? You know, "Climbing is recommended at X watts, cruising at Y watts, and attacking at Z watts"? If cadence * crank torque (* a constant) = watts, why do these coaches recommend the same cadence range for guys whose FTP is 200 watts and guys whose FTP is 400 watts? If you look at other racers data files, you'll see that freely-chosen cadence varies with slope -- typically, the steeper the slope the lower the cadence. Your coaches, do they say "when climbing an X percent slope you should use a cadence in the range of THIS but when climbing a Y percent slope you should use a cadence of THAT"?
Of course not. But they do specify a percentage of FTP that they want the effort made at. Oddly enough, the coaches' recommendations coincide with freely chosen cadences -- lower for climbing and TTing (where efforts are expected to be prolonged, intense, and easy to overshoot), higher for attacking and cruising.

Perhaps what you're missing (or refusing to accept) is that cadence is a trainable adaptation -- your "freely chosen" cadence today might be much lower than your "freely chosen" cadence after a couple years of training focused on a smooth, higher pedal cadence.

I think you need to lose your obsession with the idea that anyone anywhere would specify to riders in general that they should be riding at a particular absolute pedal torque or power level because you're the only person I've ever heard propose such a ridiculous thing (and you do know that it's ridiculous, I realize that).
Old 01-18-12, 02:47 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Of course not. But they do specify a percentage of FTP that they want the effort made at. Oddly enough, the coaches' recommendations coincide with freely chosen cadences -- lower for climbing and TTing (where efforts are expected to be prolonged, intense, and easy to overshoot), higher for attacking and cruising.
Wait a sec. You're saying coaches specify a cadence that coincides with the freely-chosen cadence? Hey, I agree with that -- and so do several of the coaches that I know. They recommend (as do I) that riders focus on developing the power level that they need and use their gears so that they can produce that power in as comfortable a fashion as they can (given that producing 400 watts isn't really all that comfortable).

Perhaps what you're missing (or refusing to accept) is that cadence is a trainable adaptation -- your "freely chosen" cadence today might be much lower than your "freely chosen" cadence after a couple years of training focused on a smooth, higher pedal cadence.
Well, perhaps so. I said quite often (and many coaches now agree with me) that I don't think cadence in isolation is a particularly trainable adaptation. As I've pointed out, cadence responds to the level of power, the gradient, crank inertial load, and the gears you have available to you. What that means is that *if* you're going to train cadence, it can't be in isolation; *if* you're going to train cadence then you should train it in the context of power and gradient and gears. Or, you can do what I (and some coaches) recommend: focus on developing your power and use your gears to produce that power as comfortably as you can. Training high cadence at low power isn't a particularly "targeted" way to develop the ability to produce high cadence at high power (and the same applies to crank torque or pedal force).

I think you need to lose your obsession with the idea that anyone anywhere would specify to riders in general that they should be riding at a particular absolute pedal torque or power level because you're the only person I've ever heard propose such a ridiculous thing (and you do know that it's ridiculous, I realize that).
Oh, I agree it's ridiculous. No one makes recommendations like that -- but it's important to understand that there's nothing special about cadence that doesn't also apply to crank torque (or pedal force). It's just as ridiculous to make cadence recommendations in isolation as it is to make crank torque recommendations in isolation; yet people make cadence recommendations all the time without making crank torque recommendations.

Here, btw, is another plot for a hillclimb. Sorry if it's a tad small -- it was what I had handy. It shows the crank torque and cadence Rory Sutherland produced during the end of Stage 4 of last year's Amgen Tour of California. He finished that stage in 3rd, in the same time as Andy Schleck and Levi Leipheimer. Note the relationship between cadence, power, and crank torque. Which is more closely correlated with power, cadence or crank torque?

Old 01-18-12, 04:37 PM
svtmike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what that chart is supposed to prove -- there are two independent variables for the rider (cadence and torque), and power is dependent on both of them as you know.

Since power is a mathematical derivative of torque and cadence, it therefore should (and does) show a correlation to both of them. Given that Power = Torque x RPM, there shouldn't be a stronger correlation between power and either one of them; if you calculate out the correlations they should be mathematically equal at 1.0, no?
Old 01-18-12, 05:36 PM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Which is more closely correlated with power, cadence or crank torque?

Fail? Power torque and RPM are by mathemical derivation correlated variables. don't call out someone with a statistic when all you are showing is that you haven't thought it through.

P = M*V (V = rotational velocity dtheta/dt in this case and M is net torque)

what we are seeing in this chart (most likely) is that Ctorque is measured by a device (strain gauges, a.k.a a power meter) and from that power is calculated. if RPM is measured seperately we can cause spreads like this from measurements not syncing up etc. by theoretical analyses though these variables should all be correlated.

Last edited by gerundium; 01-18-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 07:34 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My cadence is range is 70-110. I average around 82-85 and can drop to 70 or so on tough climbs. Any lower and my knees start hurting.
Old 01-18-12, 08:50 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Not sure what that chart is supposed to prove -- there are two independent variables for the rider (cadence and torque), and power is dependent on both of them as you know.

Since power is a mathematical derivative of torque and cadence, it therefore should (and does) show a correlation to both of them. Given that Power = Torque x RPM, there shouldn't be a stronger correlation between power and either one of them; if you calculate out the correlations they should be mathematically equal at 1.0, no?
Originally Posted by gerundium
Fail? Power torque and RPM are by mathemical derivation correlated variables. don't call out someone with a statistic when all you are showing is that you haven't thought it through.

P = M*V (V = rotational velocity dtheta/dt in this case and M is net torque)

what we are seeing in this chart (most likely) is that Ctorque is measured by a device (strain gauges, a.k.a a power meter) and from that power is calculated. if RPM is measured seperately we can cause spreads like this from measurements not syncing up etc. by theoretical analyses though these variables should all be correlated.
Well, I'm starting to see the problem.