Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycling is Too Dangerous. I知 giving it up/cutting back to be safe

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cycling is Too Dangerous. I知 giving it up/cutting back to be safe

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 11:52 PM
plittle2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Ya can't be too careful!!

I ride almost exclusively on bike paths, avg speed limited to about 10 mph due to pedestrians and obstacles.

In August 2018, I just bought a Montague Fit, moving up from a 20" folder. Took it for my 1st ride, on a bike path, was making a loop through a school parking lot just out of curiosity, no moving vehicles around, was gawking at the scenery and suddenly was thrown on the asphalt, face-planting, breaking my neck and nose, and bruising ribs! Hurt like hell!! Crushed the front of my helmet, lots of road rash. Then had to ride home!

I had tripped over a speed bump that I just hadn't seen. Fault was all mine, should have been more observant.

Been riding on a trainer stand since, due to winter. Can't wait to get outside again.

Just goes to show ya.....even though your mother said don't play in traffic, accidents do happen!
Old 01-01-19, 09:04 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by plittle2005
I had tripped over a speed bump that I just hadn't seen.
Don't feel alone.

I was cycling home from work during some minor flooding. Cutting across an empty college parking lot I hit an underwater concrete parking lot wheel-stop. Ate sheet bad, water didn't break my fall much, landed on another concrete wheel-stop. Didn't break anything but I hurt for a week.

Always nice to get filthy flood water in fresh abrasions as well.
Old 01-01-19, 09:58 AM
DocJohn
Noob mechanic

Bikes: Trek road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biking vs skydiving

I recently gave up skydiving after 40 years and 4,000 jumps. I spend more time road biking now. I actually feel like I'm in more danger now than I was skydiving. Danger to me depends on the number of factors out of your control. I can't control drivers who are texting and may kill me. But rather than stop biking because of the potential danger, I lessen the danger factor by using roads with less traffic and wider shoulders, riding in groups when possible, checking my mirror often, not using ear buds or playing music, wearing bright colored jerseys, etc.

Enjoy life, take reasonable precautions.
Old 01-01-19, 10:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
That structure was clearly built by a Sasquatch.
I know! I heard him throwing rocks in the water riding the same place at night! super creepy!
Old 01-01-19, 11:36 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Well, that does it. I'm re-convinced that cycling on the road is dangerous. For my new years resolution I vow to check this thread for wise information regarding risks and safety tips before I head out on the bike every day.
Old 01-01-19, 05:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by DocJohn
I recently gave up skydiving after 40 years and 4,000 jumps. I spend more time road biking now. I actually feel like I'm in more danger now than I was skydiving.
Like allowing a total stranger to pack your chute while checking their Twitter feed? Road cycling does put your life in the hands of distracted strangers as a rule.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-01-19 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 05:12 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

What about swimming with sharks? Some folks like to compare cycling in traffic to swimming with sharks. Is that safer than cycling too?
Old 01-01-19, 06:39 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJohn
I recently gave up skydiving after 40 years and 4,000 jumps. I spend more time road biking now. I actually feel like I'm in more danger now than I was skydiving. Danger to me depends on the number of factors out of your control. I can't control drivers who are texting and may kill me. But rather than stop biking because of the potential danger, I lessen the danger factor by using roads with less traffic and wider shoulders, riding in groups when possible, checking my mirror often, not using ear buds or playing music, wearing bright colored jerseys, etc.

Enjoy life, take reasonable precautions.
On the other hand, is not the presumption of control an illusion?

Last edited by KraneXL; 01-01-19 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 09:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What about swimming with sharks? Some folks like to compare cycling in traffic to swimming with sharks. Is that safer than cycling too?
One would like to think that drivers are civilized human beings with reasoning and logic instead of wild animals out to hunt for prey.
Old 01-02-19, 01:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
And still I ride in traffic all the time and never get killed. What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-02-19, 12:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
All of us HERE on BF, maybe. All cyclists? No way.

I have a long list of friends and acquaintances who cycle on the worst street in my city routinely. And they all got hozed because they don't think, they just go out fat, happy, and stupid. Every time I heard of them getting hit (none killed but serious injuries) I say "Why on THAT street??" There are quiet, parallel streets just one block over each way. I also see so many cyclists on that street in the door zone or riding slow with dozens of cars squeezing past them. It's a nightmare road yet they have no clue. The only way to safely bike it is to keep up with the 25mph traffic. But they go without a care in the world. Almost all have been hit from behind by someone on their phone.

Magazine Street, New Orleans USA

I used to ride on Magazine Street all the time. It was a bit unavoidable as I lived on it.

I did, however, know it was the street you were talking about even before you named it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-02-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 07:03 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I lived there 40 years ago. I lived on Camp St. for a time, but avoided riding on Magazine.
Old 01-03-19, 10:15 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by jon c.
I lived there 40 years ago. I lived on Camp St. for a time, but avoided riding on Magazine.
My wife and i go to Magazine many times a year, day and night. We often get window seats in restaurants, and we enjoy walking so I have a nice, relaxed position to observe the clueless behavior there. I do sometimes see some savvy person hitting it hard keeping up with traffic, or staying ahead of them. 99% of them are just armadillos meandering on the roadway waiting for that vehicle grill with their name on it.

BTW...two of my friends who both work at bike shops had fiances smacked on Magazine so hard they never rode a bike again. One was taking the lane, dead stopped, waiting for traffic to go by so she could make a left turn. Motorist on the phone drug just steam-rolled her without even touching the brakes. I can't remember the details of the other woman except she gave up cycling as well.

The point here: Many, many people do things without any thought of safety or consequences. They just go through life cloud-gathering and falling off cliffs. Telling them that cycling on Magazine street is similar danger to walking down a staircase or taking a shower is just irresponsible.
Old 01-03-19, 11:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

It’s nice to hear that even Joey believes that it’s possible to ride even the most deadly magazine street with some fashion of "savvy." (and therefore safety)

When I read of "death" roads/towns/states on BF it often makes me wish I could instantly transport myself to the location in question and ride back and forth with on board cameras mounted just to demonstrate the actual or imagined risk. This ain't combat, sky diving, or swimming with sharks kids.
Old 01-03-19, 12:10 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

It痴 nice to hear that even Joey believes that it痴 possible to ride even the most deadly magazine street with some fashion of "savvy." (and therefore safety)

When I read of "death" roads/towns/states on BF it often makes me wish I could instantly transport myself to the location in question and ride back and forth with on board cameras mounted just to demonstrate the actual or imagined risk. This ain't combat, sky diving, or swimming with sharks kids.
Yep, all streets are created equal! So off you go now!

I'm getting tired of responding to trolls.
Old 01-03-19, 12:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Yep, all streets are created equal! So off you go now!

I'm getting tired of responding to trolls.
Who said that?

Just like most everyone who posted here, I too take steps to reduce my risk of becoming a meat lovers road pizza. Including picking and choosing routes. This doesn't mean I can't still believe that the risks of cycling in traffic is often over exaggerated. Even on a cycling forum!

Com'on don't give up now, Joey!
Old 01-03-19, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

It痴 nice to hear that even Joey believes that it痴 possible to ride even the most deadly magazine street with some fashion of "savvy." (and therefore safety)

Like I said above, I didn't have any problem identifying the street Joey was talking about even before he named it. It's an incredibly narrow street for the amount of traffic on it, with parking on both sides of the street. It's really quite the obstacle course.

Oh, and Google Maps is your friend:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9205...7i13312!8i6656
Old 01-03-19, 05:53 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
And as Joey noted earlier, there isn't any reason to ride the street. There are safer parallel streets.

Strangest thing I ever saw on Magazine street was a small plane landing on a cross street. The plane was equipped for water landings and the pilot had engine trouble and was trying to get to the river. Came down on Washington, somehow dropping in between the trees and crossed Magazine, fortunately having the green light. The ends of the wings were clipped off as they hit parked cars, which themselves of suffered some damage, but no one was injured and the damage was amazingly minimal. The fuselage of the plane remained intact and the pilot climbed out unscathed. And all this happened about 5:30 pm, so the street was very crowded. There is danger everywhere, but sometimes everyone gets lucky.

Last edited by jon c.; 01-03-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 08:45 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I try not to worry about meteor strikes and plane crashes too much but I admit, as vigilant as I am on a bicycle in traffic, I don't really look UP very much.
Old 01-03-19, 11:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Like I said above, I didn't have any problem identifying the street Joey was talking about even before he named it. It's an incredibly narrow street for the amount of traffic on it, with parking on both sides of the street. It's really quite the obstacle course.

Oh, and Google Maps is your friend:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9205...7i13312!8i6656
Google is always at least 1/2 block or more off the target for me. I learned to use Street View and guess.
Old 01-04-19, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
And as Joey noted earlier, there isn't any reason to ride the street. There are safer parallel streets.

And as I said before, I actually lived on Magazine Street, so riding on it at least a little was unavoidable. The google maps picture I linked to was approximately where I lived.
Old 01-04-19, 09:41 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Camp has lots and lots of stop signs and the confounding jog at Joseph.
Constance has lots of stop signs, is one way, and Poydras Home is in the way.

Two blocks away is Chestnut which isn't a chestnut, and Laurel is one way (other way) too.

Then again, there's Magazine in the CBD, a totally different kind of road. Is that an approved road, or not? Are the approved alternatives Tchoupitoulas or St. Charles (eek, street car tracks of death!)?

And I've lost track, is Audubon a haven for people on bikes, or another of the scary places.

Magazine Street Hit and Run - 50 hours community service and $250 payment.

-mr. bill
Old 01-04-19, 10:14 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Camp has lots and lots of stop signs and the confounding jog at Joseph.
Constance has lots of stop signs, is one way, and Poydras Home is in the way.
Precisely why people driving cars avoid those streets, unless they live on them and only travel one block to get to the house. I don't stop for stop signs anyway, unless something is coming and I have to grant them right of way. And no traffic signals! I can make better time on the back streets unless I felt like honking along at 20+ on Magazine, then stopping at every confounded red light.

I call those back streets the "C" streets. Camp, Chestnut, and Coliseum. I really like Perrier Street that starts near Touro Hospital and goes to Audubon Park. Except for one block Perrier is a rare two-way street.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
And as I said before, I actually lived on Magazine Street, so riding on it at least a little was unavoidable. The google maps picture I linked to was approximately where I lived.
So did you bike the entire length of Magazine "because you live on it" or did you take a back street and avoid Magazine except for that one block you lived on? I'm guessing you avoided it when you could but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-04-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 10:29 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
This guy is in grave danger. (According to spoke critics.)

-mr. bill
Old 01-04-19, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So did you bike the entire length of Magazine "because you live on it" or did you take a back street and avoid Magazine except for that one block you lived on? I'm guessing you avoided it when you could but I don't know for sure.
I'm a little fuzzy on it because it's been 33 years since I lived there, but as I recall, it would depend on the time of day. It was not a fashionable part of town back in those days, and there wasn't a lot of traffic at night. I worked rotating shifts at Children's Hospital, and I know I generally took the C streets most of the way most of the time. I vaguely remember that some of the C streets tended to fog up in the early morning, so I didn't feel like I was gaining a lot of safety riding on them.

But yeah, if I was going from home on a relatively short hop to a Magazine Street destination (which was often) I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.