Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Snacks

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Snacks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 10:02 PM
Krystian

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Snacks

Lately I've been going on longer and longer rides and find that about 2.5 hrs in I get a real drop of energy. Lately I've been bringing a couple of chewy granola bars with me to snack on mid ride. I've used gels in the past but I'm not a huge fan. Need some ideas for good road snacks.
Old 01-10-12, 10:19 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
tons and tons of junk-food and power-bars, that's what keeps me going.
Old 01-10-12, 10:22 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snickers bars are very good - if you can handle that much on your stomach. A very inexpensive energy bar - most energy bars are expensive candy bars....
Old 01-10-12, 10:25 PM
Krystian

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snickers - you guys are speaking my language
Old 01-10-12, 10:28 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
There tends to be oatmeal cookies at my house so I'll grab a few of those for longer rides. I like them because they don't melt like snickers and the like.
Old 01-10-12, 10:29 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pop-tarts. Very high energy to weight ratio. Gotta be careful not to smash them too much though.
Old 01-10-12, 10:30 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottle of MEXICAN Coke (made with sugar) or a Lara bar (they have like 4 ingredients).
Old 01-10-12, 10:33 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I'll take some trail mix bars with me. Kinda like granola bars, but chewy and with a little fruit in them. Often a Clif bar as well. I like the cherry chocolate flavor.
Old 01-10-12, 10:39 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
To a limited degree the macronutrient content of your snacks can be important. I absolutely love snickers and buy them by the 48-count box at Costco, but they do have a lot of fat and protein, and thus probably aren't ideal for very high intensity rides. Maybe ideal for touring and similar length/intensity, though.

I like fig newtons, which are a nice snacking size; cut up apples in a bag; and bananas. Also it's sad, but the Nabisco fig newtons are infinitely better tasting than the hippie bulk bin fig newtons, as I learned on one ride. Baked goods like muffins are nice. You can also make little burritos and wrap them in aluminum foil.

I've also been drinking lemon kool-aid with a little salt as a cheap-man's energy drink.

The summary of what I got from reading about cycling nutrition is that probably the only things that matter are bulk macronutrient content (ie, how much is carbs, what the glycemic index is) and to a lesser degree maybe electrolytes. All the other crap in sports-specific food probably is of limited utility, but they do generally nail the macronutrients and they are conveniently packaged, and sometimes taste nice. I do love Cliff bars, although I got really tired of the 3 flavors they sell at Costco.

So yeah, there's lots of normal food that works fine. For my entertainment I think I'm going to start making homemade gel packs and see how that goes.
Old 01-10-12, 10:41 PM
AP1EKWAN
NOT the unsub

Bikes: 2nd job killed them, but they're coming back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on a PayDay kick for awhile. I did the Snickers thing before too, but the chocolate melted too often. A couple of times it would slip out of the wrapper and fall onto the jersey. Not a pretty sight on a white jersey. And no one believes it's chocolate.
Bite sized Snickers are cool tho, you can finish it in 2 bites.
Old 01-10-12, 10:45 PM
LOGICK ONE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My personal favorites:

On pit stops Mexican cokes are great—real sugar and caffeine to help get some energy rush.

Non-sport specific foods: PB&Jelly or PB&Honey (no crusts). Trail Mix (Dried cherries/dried cranberries/pistachios/walnuts/m&ms). Snickers.

Sport specific food: Honey stinger waffles, NOW energy bars, Clif Bars (chocolate chip), PowerBar (Cookies n Cream), Hammer Gels.
Old 01-10-12, 10:52 PM
billyb0b115

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strawberry Pop Tarts! Great taste, good amount of carbohydrates and it's cheap! I save one for the road and the other when I'm done

I'll get some cliff bars every now and then.
Old 01-10-12, 10:52 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another snickers fan here, but only if I'm stopping at a store and doing a longer ride. I'll usually combine with a banana. In the pockets, I usually pack those Welchs fruit snacks. Decent amount of calories, cheap, and pretty easy to rip open and eat while on the move. I used to do the cliffs bars, but I struggle to choke down an entire bar quickly while riding.
Old 01-10-12, 11:19 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
You can buy a lot of crap of questionable value or go for the simple things. I ride with a large bottle of OJ, 24 ounce thermal bottle from Camel-back.
I fill it 2/3 OJ and 1/3 ice and add three large tablespoons of sugar. Keeps me going, I drink 2 or 3 swallows every 20 minutes. On rides longer I bring a whole wheat PB & J sandwich or a bag of raisins and walnuts. Can't stand the gels or powerbars. I have never bonked doing this and with the oj going in I do not need much additional fuel.
On cold winter days I ride with hot tea and honey. Great stuff.

Last edited by surgeonstone; 01-10-12 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 11:24 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
There should probably be two categories of "road snacks". ON the bike and OFF the bike. For me, they're usually very different.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-10-12, 11:50 PM
Werkin

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dried Figs and Salty Peanuts, Prunes and Salty Cashews, Animal Crackers.
Old 01-10-12, 11:58 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
On rides longer I bring a whole wheat PB & J sandwich
I've seen a few people suggest this. How do you carry a PB&J to keep it from getting squished and nasty in your jersey pocket, or even in a camelbak?
Old 01-11-12, 12:01 AM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PayDay candy bar, Honey Stinger waffles, Fig Newtons, Banana, coconut water (if I stop somewhere), etc. Basically anything that tastes good and doesn't get messy. Doesn't matter so much what you eat as long as you eat.
Old 01-11-12, 12:53 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like a PB&J sandwich too, just ziploc'ed in the jersey pocket. It does tend to get squished flat if I have other stuff packed in there too, but if the ride is long enough then it tastes great. I also like peanut butter crackers, my fave are the Lance brand "nekot cookies". Stopping at the store with the group and having a soda is a favorite tradition for me too. We've been tempted to split a $3.99 4 pack of PBR tallboys at a particular store often...
Old 01-11-12, 12:55 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I've seen a few people suggest this. How do you carry a PB&J to keep it from getting squished and nasty in your jersey pocket, or even in a camelbak?
LOL, in my camel back. I just divide it in half, put each half in a small baggy and through them in my rear pocket. They hold together pretty well. My fav is Skippys Chuncky style with Smuckers Orange Marmalade. Usually have one half 1.5 hrs and the second at 2.5-3 hours out.
Old 01-11-12, 04:17 AM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 01-11-12, 04:40 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
By 2.5 hours in I need something substantial like a big greasy cheeseburger. If it has to be something you can eat while rolling a big ol' burrito from a taco truck might be nice.

I'll third the bottle Mexican Coke. Generally not a good while rolling drink. Requires two hands to open and need to find a place to toss the empty.
Old 01-11-12, 04:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
While riding:
Granola bars
Cereal bars
Oatmeal and raisin cookies
Oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies
Salted almonds
Small bags of cheezies or chips
Poptarts
Dried fruit
Bananas
Other fruit - cut into pieces

When I stop for a break:
Cheesecake
Carrot cake
Muffins
Pastries
Crackers and cheese
Potato chips
French fries
Hamburger
Chicken croissant
Subway sub
French toast
Perogies
Pizza Pops
Slice of Pizza
Burritos
Chicken Noodle Soup
Whatever is available in the town I'm in ... and appeals to me.

I used to include scrambled eggs and toast in that list, but it seems that eggs bother my gall bladder now.
Old 01-11-12, 04:57 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
After a few hours, you've got to keep feeding the beast.

For long rides, I have two kinds of food with me- energy items to eat while in the saddle and things to eat at breaks (unless there's likely to be food for sale at the planned reststop

On the bike - gels, Clif Shot bloks, or gummy candies (bears, worms, etc.).

Off the bike: A mixed bag of raisons and peanuts and/or Clif bars.
Old 01-11-12, 05:17 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Lots of good ideas above. I'm used to gels and Clif bars and Gatorade, but on a longer ride will sometimes stop for a bottle of sweet iced tea (sugar and caffeine but no carbonation) and something sweet to eat.

If you're going to be out for a long ride, don't wait until you're out of gas to refuel. Start eating within the first hour. Your body can process about 250-300 calories/hour, so keep it to about that level. For me, that's about a bottle of Gatorade and a gel, or a bottle of water and a Clif bar, over the course of an hour. Candy bars are about 250-300 calories. A half-liter bottle of regular Coke is 240 calories.

If you're going to use something big and/or hard to open, open it before you start the ride and break it into manageable pieces. Eating a whole Clif bar or Powerbar at once while riding is a hassle; "choking it down" is an accurate description. Half a Clif bar works for me. If there's any left in an open package at the end of your ride, either finish it or stick it in a ziploc for the next ride.

When you eat something, wash it down with about four good swigs of whatever's in your bottles. It helps your body process the food, and you need the fluid anyway.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.