Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding Aforce AL33?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone riding Aforce AL33?

Old 09-15-19, 07:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
,... I'm already coming off XR270/XR300 Kinlin and wanted to try something different/better.
I came across the Tune TSR35s, and thought that if I'm ever needing a replacement set of alloy wheels, the complete build on these sounds good on paper anyway. Just an FYI for perhaps future reference or consideration. I think these qualify for trying something different (and seemingly if you wanted, you can opt for some bling in the way of colored hubs and nipples. I only wish I could find a few more longer term user reviews.

https://www.bike24.com/p2306399.html
Old 09-15-19, 08:36 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
Big and fat.
First things that came to mind.
Not like the HEDs. More on this later.
Makes your tires sort of like low profiles. Spesh 26mm Turbo Cottons measure out to about 27mm, not much gain, but compared to the 28s, you lose a bunch of sidewall.
Not sure if I'm gonna ride em yet as I got the wrong free hub; I can always change the derailleur but I'm feeling kinda lazy.
Can't really tell the difference between the HPlusSon on the rear despite being 7mm wider.
The bad.
On both rims, there is a humungous bump on the sidewall where I believe the weld is. Well, huge in wheel truing scale. Upon closer inspection, you can see the 'bump' on the inside also as it's actually a rise in the sidewall.
Trued the wheel vertically best I can, but there's still that little hump that I think if I were to adjust out, I'm would be actually flattening that part of the rim.
Okay, one rim I can see. But both?
Out of Kinlin, Alex, HSonPlus and HED, by far the worst finish on the seam. I may be nitpicking but these are one of the most expensive alloy rims out there.
I don't think it will affect the ride. When I first saw it I did worry about pulses when braking but I think it will be okay.
To the Robert fellow, get the R90sl or HEDs instead.
Unless you really want big and fat.
Pics tomorrow.
Bum batches of rims happen. Just ask Psimet, not normal. you already built them up, otherwise I'd suggest exchanging them.
Old 09-15-19, 09:55 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Why are we picking apart rims that cost only $150 to begin with? It doesn't seem like that much money given its relative importance in the operation of a bicycle.
Sorry. I didn’t realize we weren’t allowed to answer the OPs question or discuss in any way.
Old 09-15-19, 11:50 AM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Bum batches of rims happen. Just ask Psimet, not normal. you already built them up, otherwise I'd suggest exchanging them.
Yeah I'm about to get some video and caliper readings to send over to the vendor.
I'm kinda new to this wheel building stuff and I'm not sure if there are certain things that are considered 'within tolerances.'
Or was we used to joke: commercially acceptable
Old 09-15-19, 12:06 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Sorry. I didn’t realize we weren’t allowed to answer the OPs question or discuss in any way.
Only my personal opinion.
Old 09-15-19, 03:28 PM
jideta

Big and fat:

Next to a 'regular' Kinlin 19mm wide.

Side profile:

Old 30mm vs new 32mm.
Hard to see a difference.
Except:

I swear these are like my old 29er wheels!
The 26mm tires I got measure out to 27.25mm while the 28mm tires on HSonPlus 23mm rims measure out to...28mm!
Not even a MM difference!
BTW, no tools needed to mount up the tires on the Aforce.
Now I'm thinking maybe run the 28mm on the HSonPlus.
Once I get the hub I'll be able to run both and see which is better.
If any.
The ole bicycle:

Aforce in front, HSonPlus on the rear.
Sort of hard to compare with them gumwalls.
One more thing. The brakes.
The rim is so wide, the return springs on the brakes are at their lower limits. Meaning, they are at the weakest return position (almost fully open, Campy Record Ti).
This gave me fits with the single pivot rear as the Yokozuna housing would not let the caliper return to the open position. The spring was just not well, springy enough.
I had to resort to using 'normal' brake cable housings in the rear (the black housing near the seat post).
The Yokozuna housing is super stiff so even if the caliper were compressed for normal sized wheels I'm not sure the spring would still have been able to open brakes but the width of the rim sure didn't help.
Probably the compressionless housings using the little barrels would be okay (Jagwire, Nokon oh please I just re cabled the whole damn bicycle).

The Flaw:
I've managed to tweak out the 'hop' in the rim so it's only like a 1/4 inch wide (radially) 'bump.'
I'm gonna try and shoot some video so you can see what I'm talking about.
With the calipers, it seems like the width of the rim is only like a couple tenths of a mm wider at the bump, but you can see it and feel it.
Maybe if it were any other person, it may not matter. However I am, and I dislike using this moniker, an artist (BFA Sculpture but mostly ceramics), and quite OCD.
Feel like busting out my die grinder and fixing it. I would if I could anodize. Actually I think I got the anodizing chemicals back at work (I teach art too) so I would just need a big battery.

Anyways, I'll give these a ride once the hub comes in hopefully end of next week.

Last edited by jideta; 09-15-19 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 02:37 AM
jideta

out of sight out of mind

I wasn't expecting anything huge out of these wheels.
Took them out tonight for a couple of miles just to see what's what.
I put ten miles or so on the Archetypes on Sunday and they were nice. Okay, REALLY nice.
Tonight was nothing more, nothing less. Oh and I'm running 28mm tires which just cleared my rear seat stays.
I think if you are coming off decent wheels, new decent wheels aren't going to be much different. Unless they are like bad decent wheels.
If you know what I mean.
I pretty much got what I wanted which were deeper profile wheels.
Just wish they never came with the extra baggage.

Tires and tubes baby. I believe in the latex gods.
Want a nice cushy ride?
Those Turbo Cottons are on another planet compared to GP4000siis; add the latex and a wide rim and you too will become a believer.
Old 09-22-19, 07:42 PM
jideta

One last thing about these wheels: they make noise.

Not the carbon wheel type growl, this is more like a high pitched turbine whine.
My tires are smooth in the middle with herringbone on each side so that may have something to do with it.

On smooth pavement you can definitely hear it.
I kinda like it.