Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you get scared of a possible drunk driver?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you get scared of a possible drunk driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 05:04 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The OP has moved on to trolling the General Cycling Discussion forum with yet another fear-related post.
I was afraid he would do that.
Old 09-22-15, 06:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't think he's a troll, just an inexperienced kid. If he can't figure out how a bike works, he's probably right to be somewhat afraid. I went over there and talked to him a little. Sometimes kindness works better, you know.
Old 09-22-15, 08:09 PM
mawashi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't think he's a kid more like a rich wuss. All his posts in the general, mtb and road sections are common fears but not really worth posting about.

Expensive Ti bikes that aren't that comfortable, scared of trails, changing tires, even going to a store to get a bike is an issue for the op.

Lots the more experienced posters have given him a wide berth already.

Op just needs to ride more and post less lol!
Old 09-22-15, 08:22 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
... how you deal with fear.....
Recognize fear for what it is. Learn to discard it, learn to set it aside or (more modernly) compartmentalize the causes of your fears. Fear can have medical roots as well as spiritual roots. Speak with your doctor AND your spiritual advisor about your concerns.

I myself accept that my time spent here in this form is temporary....... I get great pleasure from cycling.
Old 09-22-15, 08:25 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
The OP has moved on to trolling the General Cycling Discussion forum with yet another fear-related post.
You're not gonna follow him around giving him a hard time, right? That would be like . . . you know, harassment.

Old 09-22-15, 08:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Fear robs you of focus. No fear! Only caution.
Old 09-23-15, 12:59 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But what happens when you get struck by a big vehicle?
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You usually get hurt or killed.
+1

Just wondering how you deal with fear.
I might suggest seeking out someone perhaps more trained in psychology than random forum members, if your being serious with your question.
Old 09-23-15, 01:08 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
You're not gonna follow him around giving him a hard time, right? That would be like . . . you know, harassment.

Anyway, that's what the mods are for, right?
Old 09-23-15, 05:17 AM
mawashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup he tends to migrate a bit lol!

Originally Posted by RPK79
No, but I am scared of being hit by a chunk of blue ice falling from a plane every time I go outside. That's why I always have my helmet on.
Your helmet won't protect you from that **** lol!

Originally Posted by Heathpack
After I had been riding for about a year, I attended a one-day cycling clinic for women. It started off with some preliminary comments and then the instructors asked each of us to introduce ourselves and say what we hoped to gain from the seminar, what our cycling fears or limitations were.

I was the first person they called on and said something like, "My name is Heathpack and I'd like to develop better bike handing skills" or some similarly generic thing.

The next hour was a discussion of the cycling fears of women. At first I thought people were kidding, but alas they were not.

I'm afraid of descending
I'm afraid of climbing.
I'm afraid of pot holes.
I'm afraid of traffic.
I'm afraid of other cyclists.
I'm afraid of getting a flat.
I'm afraid of shifting. (Shifting, really?!)

Topped off by:
I'm afraid of bunnies.

(Bunnies on the bike path. Because they might run under your wheel. Once we got into fear of bunnies, I almost walked out. The seminar had been organized by a friend of mine, so I stayed for the whole thing.)

In retrospect, it was very funny. But excruciating at the time.
My ex would run across the street if she saw a roach, listening to women and their phobias and not burst out laughing can be excruciatingly painful lol!

Not sure what category op falls under but I know of some 5 yr olds who are more adventurous.

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-23-15 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Bypassing forum censor
Old 09-23-15, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD

Calling out an obvious troll is harassment? Wow. I thought BF had higher standards. My bad. At least the responses to his posts and amusing.
Old 09-23-15, 06:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
While riding to work last year some dude ...One hand was holding a plate of food. The other hand was holding a fork, and the dude was shoveling food into his face...
What kind of food?
Old 09-23-15, 06:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Just gotta learn how to bunny hop!
I LOL'd.
Old 09-23-15, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
What kind of food?
Have no idea, but I could clearly see he had something on a plate which he was holding in one hand while he had a fork in the other.
Old 09-23-15, 07:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

I saw some crazy driver behaviors on the San Diego Freeway north of Irvine. Folks reading the newspaper in bumper-to-bumper 65 mph traffic, and other stuff.

The best was a woman who was using one of those eyelash curler squeezie things while tilting her head backward, and driving... just, wow.
Old 09-23-15, 07:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
To be fair, I have hit one squirrel and nearly hit a second one in the last month. The danger is real, but I don't think it comes form bunnies.
Turtles are the danger, sneaking out in the rain at night for a well-placed ambush. The little ones are trying to knock your front wheel sliding with their slippery little round shells, and the really big ones I'm not sure what their game is but they're up to something. You might think they're slow but they're not - they're just sneaky. I've seen them galloping across the path at 5 or 6 feet per second.
Old 09-23-15, 10:30 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
The majority of those killed by drunk drivers are other drivers of cars. You are not protected. Life is a risk, you still have to live it.
I have to agree. Every time that we get on a bike we are making a decision. Part of that decision is accepting the consequences. The same goes for running, walking, boating, golfing, hunting and etc. Just ask Dick Cheney or more appropriately, his hunting buddy. You can get hurt doing just about anything. Do the best that you can to protect yourself and live your life. My club tells me that they have not had an accident in 10 years. We have had 3 in the past few weeks. Things are going to happen. I played 4 H.S. Sports per year and 2 College Sports for 4 years. I never once got injured enough to miss a game or even a practice. At 40 years old I had my first injury. A few years later I have had another one. (From running not biking). I consider that a good run. I have friends who got injured all the time. The law of averages usually catches us all at some point. You just can't worry about it or you will go crazy.
Old 09-23-15, 10:35 AM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just assume every single vehicle out there is driven by an idiot on a cell phone who wants to hit me.
Old 09-23-15, 12:29 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My worst fear is getting hit but the fast and furious teenagers racing on the back roads I like to ride.

Just dumb drivers in general, taking turns/blind corners way too fast, getting in the bike lane, etc

I don't ride at night, and usually if I do, or in a populated area, I try to be as safe as possible. Avoid the roads at all costs.

Been hit once before, let's not make it #2 ...
Old 09-23-15, 12:47 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
I did some internet research a while back on miles traveled risk, car vs bicycle. IIRC, bicycle was twice as dangerous on a per mile metric, but when you take the average number of miles someone drives in their car/year vs bike/year, the bicycle ends up being a lot safer.

I pad my safety by riding on rarely used country roads and always checking my six. Most cyclists on country roads are killed by protruding parts of farm implements that hit them during an otherwise safe pass. I actually knew three people that died this way.

That's scary. You actually know 3 people that died cycling on roads.
Old 09-23-15, 03:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Turtles are the danger, sneaking out in the rain at night for a well-placed ambush. The little ones are trying to knock your front wheel sliding with their slippery little round shells, and the really big ones I'm not sure what their game is but they're up to something. You might think they're slow but they're not - they're just sneaky. I've seen them galloping across the path at 5 or 6 feet per second.
One of my most heart-wrenching cycling experiences was when I saw a turtle in the road. I rode on by for several yards, not more than about 100, and decided to turn around and move it to the side of the road. Just then, a big tan SUV drove by and ran it over, smashing it to bits. I couldn’t be sure if it was deliberate, but the SUV tires went directly over the turtle.

I certainly learned the lesson, not to hesitate, or second-guess when thinking about a good deed (”We may never pass this way again”), but man, those turtles, like the OP, should stick to the Bike Paths.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-23-15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 04:07 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@Jim from Boston I'm not the only one who stops to move turtles?!
Old 09-23-15, 04:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That's scary. You actually know 3 people that died cycling on roads.
I know a lot more who died in their beds.
Old 09-23-15, 05:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
@Jim from Boston I'm not the only one who stops to move turtles?!
I guess not. I even stopped once to help a skunk...and even cagers.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...That incident happened on my morning cycle commute at least ten, or more years ago, and I posted about it on Bike Forums years ago (I joined in 2008). Not to mention the brand name, but the skunk had its head stuck in a yogurt cup with a wide bottom and narrow opening (the frustum of a cone: “the portion of a solid cone that lies between two parallel planes cutting it”). The skunk looked so pitiful, and surely would have wandered into the street. My recollection is that I jumped back as soon as the cup came off his head, and fortunately I was opposite the business end of the skunk. I don’t remember if it did spray.

I believe I did mention that a few years after that event I happened to have driven a car to work (I rarely do) and parked in the visitors parking lot. As I was leaving and stopped to pay the attendant, he told me he had witnessed my good deed while driving by years ago and let me pass for free.

To expand this discussion to cycle commuting, since we are so intimately familiar with the Road, compared to motorists, we are more apt to see situations of distress and can more easily stop and help out. Over the years I have found a few wallets and cell phones and returned them to the owners. On one nasty snowy winter day on my cycle commute (with studded tires), I stopped and pushed at least three stranded cars off of slippery surfaces where they could get no traction.
Old 09-24-15, 10:22 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I guess not. I even stopped once to help a skunk...and even cagers.
Wow, I would have been leery of helping a skunk! (I probably would have, though...)

Recently, I was having a problem with raccoons and possums coming up on my porch and eating the food that I put out for the stray cats who have taken up residence here. I was trapping the raccoons and possums, and taking them about 2 miles away and dropping them off in a wooded area, near a creek. I have to ride my bike past the place where I dumped the raccoons, virtually every time I ride- and it's near the bottom of a long, fast descent. I keep imagining that one day, one of these transplanted raccoons is going to run out in front of me when I'm on the bike, just for spite!

One of the raccoons- a younger one- was so friendly, I probably could have kept him as a pet. I was setting the trap on my porch one night- and I turn around, and see this raccoon just sitting there, not 18 inches from where i was kneeling down setting the trap, just watching me.

When I'd catch a raccoon, I'd go out in the morning (It would be a few hours before I'd take 'em to where I could set them free) and bring them some crushed ice to eat, so they wouldn't dehydrate. I soon learned, that I could pring them water in a plastic cup, and hold it up to the bars of the cage, and tilt the cup, and they'd drink out of it!