Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

first real commute in the rain..... and it was fun.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 07:10 AM
flyingWeez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've ridden to the grocery store, and done a 50k ride where part of it was in the rain. But this was the first real commute to school in the rain and it wasn't bad at all. All I did was just take a little extra time this morning making sure the bike was ride-ready, re-secured a hole on my back fender with a zip-tie and put some tape on my helmet (learned the tape trick on the forum here). I just wore some sandals, quick-drying shorts and a gortex jacket I had left over from my time in the army and once I got to class and toweled off I was more wet from sweat than rain.

The only thing I did mess up on was that I have a headlight/taillight combo that has a rechargeable battery and my taillight was dead, so that wasn't cool, but I put a reflective belt on my bookbag, drove on, and hoped for the best.

Oh, I also lined my bookbag with a trashbag.
Old 05-21-10, 07:15 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I often find riding in the rain fun if it's not too cold
Old 05-21-10, 08:25 AM
2su

Bikes: Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding in the rain during the humid summers is the best (when I'm not trying to stay dry) during the summers out here, when it rains it pours... so I get drenched and people look at me like I'm insane (they're on to something).
Old 05-21-10, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
its weird but ridign in the rain can be quite fun despite the misery. this past late fall/winter a school bus passed me during a torrential downpour and was engulfed in a huge rouge wave and completely engulfed and drenched. I was properly dressed and just kept on going without missing a beat. it was pretty funny so I laughed. everyone at work was like: "you're crazy" and I was like ...: "you're fat" ... only kidding
Old 05-21-10, 08:44 AM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in the rain is fine as long as you accept that you're going to get wet, one way or the other. Oh, and if you have provisions to get dry when you get where you're going.
Old 05-21-10, 12:57 PM
anniegrmbl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last fall, I got some lights and waterproof jacket with reflectors, fenders and most importantly, some good breathable rain tights - this last made all the difference in the world. I rode to work all through the Vancouver winter, except for the two weeks when there was slush on the roads. The pants in particular are of a breathable, water resistant comfortable fabric, far better than the plasticy rain pants I had before. Without the gear, I wouldn't do it.

What's the helmet tape trick you mention?
Old 05-21-10, 01:36 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My ride home in the rain tuesday was ok till I turned into a headwind in the hard rain for about a mile. I had to make sure to put my head down cause the wind was driving the rain into my nose. I thought I was going to drown. It was interesting to say the least. This morning the rain wasn't driving just coming down in a nice light shower but it was still hard to see. I made it just fine. Anniegrmble what are these breatheable rain tights of which you speak?
Old 05-21-10, 01:53 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I say from experience camping - if you plan to ride in the rain on a regular basis, get something more waterproof than a trash bag. Those thing will always develop holes in them.

It's not bad to just line your backpack with a waterproof bag, just get something more durable to do it with.
Old 05-21-10, 02:16 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love riding in a summer rain in my SPD sandals. The other day, though, it was coming down so hard that I felt like I was doing the first two parts of a triathlon simultaneously.
Old 05-21-10, 02:36 PM
anniegrmbl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stringbreaker
My ride home in the rain tuesday was ok till I turned into a headwind in the hard rain for about a mile. I had to make sure to put my head down cause the wind was driving the rain into my nose. I thought I was going to drown. It was interesting to say the least. This morning the rain wasn't driving just coming down in a nice light shower but it was still hard to see. I made it just fine. Anniegrmble what are these breatheable rain tights of which you speak?
these are my fabulous rain pants: https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_l...=1274473879620 or in men's: https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1274473867467

this particular pair is from MEC, which is like the Canadian REI, but I'm sure you could find something similar stateside. The seams aren't waterproof, but I have fenders and a low riding jacket, so my ass never gets wet. In a real downpour sometimes my calves get damp from the seams, but they're so much more comfortable than the plasticky pant I used to have - they make you sweat so much it's not worth the rain protection. I feel sort of evangelical about the pants, as they really transformed me from a fair weather commuter to a full-time all-season one.
Old 05-21-10, 05:43 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I rode ~20 miles in the rain and loved every minute of it. Having the right gear helps big time.
Old 05-21-10, 06:22 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode in the rain once and hated it. I'll never do it again unless I get caught in it. .. but then, I don't have fenders and rain gear. Luckily it doesn't rain much in So-Cal.

Last edited by bhop; 05-21-10 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 07:18 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you don't ride in the rain here in the Pacific Northwest you won't ride very often. Proper rain gear is the rule. This morning I stayed nice and dry in my REO Taku pants and my Burley jacket. I made the mistake of thinking I needed to wear a pair of tights in addition to my cycling skivies boy I got pretty warm by the time I got to work. The Takus are a bit heavier than my other rainwear so I'll know the next time. Only got my face wet and my hair through the helmet. I had a great time.
Old 05-21-10, 07:23 PM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Sac, the only time it rains it's cold. I just take the bus those days. (WIMP!) But the rest of the year I ride, even if it's 100+.

Now I don't count May rain. May rain is a few little sprinkles on an otherwise dry day. We get quite a few of those and I don't mind them at all (or prepare for them in any way).
Old 05-21-10, 07:32 PM
desuism

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in the rain is fun except for the terrifying complete and total loss of traction if you skid. So say a giant semi with a milk cargo container attached to it pulls out in front of you out of no where and you slam on your brakes. You do not necessarily stop as fast as you thought you would. Other than that it's nice though.
Old 05-21-10, 07:38 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by desuism
Riding in the rain is fun except for the terrifying complete and total loss of traction if you skid. So say a giant semi with a milk cargo container attached to it pulls out in front of you out of no where and you slam on your brakes. You do not necessarily stop as fast as you thought you would. Other than that it's nice though.
Just like driving in the rain riding a bicycle in the rain takes an extra measure of caution. I don't have a lot of traffic on my morning commute since I leave the house at around 4:00 a.m. but the darkness can be daunting. The afternoon ride isn't so bad since I can see but there is a lot more traffic so its a trade off and still an even better reason to take even more caution then
Old 05-22-10, 09:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
70F and rain is fine ,35F and rain sucks.
Old 05-22-10, 01:38 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by dedhed
70F and rain is fine ,35F and rain sucks.
Eh, it varies from person to person. If you have the right gear, you can ride in the rain at 40 degrees, be completely comfortable, and show up dry to your destination. If you don't have the right gear 70 degrees is more pleasant, but you're going to get wet because any rain gear you'd wear will make you so hot you'll sweat and sweat and end up soaked from your own sweat.
Old 05-22-10, 01:51 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cycling rain coats are useless. If you're going to get wet, you may as well get wet all the way. Invest the money in a clip-on fender system
Old 05-22-10, 02:37 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Toddorado
Cycling rain coats are useless. If you're going to get wet, you may as well get wet all the way. Invest the money in a clip-on fender system
Yes, because rain comes up out of the ground, it doesn't fall out of the sky at all. ;-)
Old 05-22-10, 10:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Eh, it varies from person to person. If you have the right gear, you can ride in the rain at 40 degrees, be completely comfortable, and show up dry to your destination. If you don't have the right gear 70 degrees is more pleasant, but you're going to get wet because any rain gear you'd wear will make you so hot you'll sweat and sweat and end up soaked from your own sweat.
I do it often in spring, but it still sucks! 70 I usually skip the rain gear
Old 05-22-10, 11:13 PM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes,riding in the rain is fine.Full raingear should include brakes that still work though:-).
Old 05-22-10, 11:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I enjoyed my ride home tonight... had some light rain and the temps were a little cool but I was equipped for the weather.

Have been spending a good deal of time in Portland and don't think I could deal with the rain they get... I like my 265 days of sunshine and semi arid climate.
Old 05-22-10, 11:45 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I enjoyed my ride home tonight... had some light rain and the temps were a little cool but I was equipped for the weather.

Have been spending a good deal of time in Portland and don't think I could deal with the rain they get... I like my 265 days of sunshine and semi arid climate.
Here is our weather forcast for the week ahead.Scroll down for the 5 day. https://www.king5.com/weather Nice huh? Good rain gear is essential in Weatern Washington too.
Old 05-23-10, 12:17 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Grishnak
Yes,riding in the rain is fine.Full raingear should include brakes that still work though:-).
hahahahaha - Yes. Yes it should. :-D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.