Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS Bike tips for Newbie

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

SS Bike tips for Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 08:55 PM
conorod

Bikes: none since tuesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SS Bike tips for Newbie

Hi, i was looking for advice on a SS purchase. I previously bought a used Specialized Langster which was stolen Tuesday. I am looking for something similar (especially weight wise since I carry it up 6 flights of stairs).

The options that I had found online are:
1) Another aluminium langster
2) Bianca Pista (although there seems to be multiple versions of this so not sure which one)
3) Fuji Track (i presume this is the trek classic?)
4) Cheaper Dawes SST AL

I found some people liked one or another of 1-3 and decent reviews for 4 also. What I was not able to find was people who agreed on the weight of the stock bike.

Can anyone help with this or offer any other advice on my decision.

PS I was using a Onguard BEast lock yesterday, so unless someone broke down 10 stories of scaffolding before putting it all back together, I will not be purchasing another.
Old 10-20-11, 10:11 PM
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Swift 2 from BikesDirect is a decent bike and has similar geometry to the Langster. If your budget is high enough to afford a Pista or Fuji Track, you'd probably get more quality components. Under what conditions will you be riding?
Old 10-22-11, 01:59 AM
pkpyro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say Micargi SS bikes from Bikebuyers.com isn't bad either. The factory assembly is utter garbage but then so are most factory assemblies.

My model is RD 818 if you're interested. Really light bike, I'd say around 20~ lbs. I can curl it with a little effort and 20~lbs are when I need to put in some effort. Ideal bike for 6 flights of stairs IMHO. Check it out? $300~ incld shipping.