Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts and prayers for our Carolina friends

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thoughts and prayers for our Carolina friends

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 02:06 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Hello,

like Ken said, I am about 15 from the sea but it’s the creeks and rivers that really do the flooding. Had a fantastic day on the bike roaming around. Need that drop bar hybrid for this!

Family is on their way home! Bikes out of the house and dinner is waiting. Well, one project still under construction in the sun room.
Old 09-18-18, 02:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
WTF is the world coming to weather wise? Storms produced a bunch of tornadoes today in the RVA area. One fatality a couple of miles from my office. UUGGHH!
I TOLD you to live a cleaner life.
Old 09-18-18, 04:01 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
First ride since Florence came through and went out to check out the damage.

Old 09-18-18, 04:20 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
^^^ That split tree is wild, the ground looks undisturbed. How long were you w/o power?
Old 09-18-18, 04:27 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
RVA getting more rain now than during Florence. Same for the rest of the state I think. The VA Tidewater area might be in trouble by the end of the week.
Old 09-18-18, 04:31 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I TOLD you to live a cleaner life.
I thought I did, but not clean enough. I forgot to ask you if you are still in the same line of work as before the move. Or did you change career paths as well?
Old 09-18-18, 06:21 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I'm 60 miles & Law in Jacksonville is about 15. Two guys really under the gun for this storm that Law & I were going to reach out to for a possible bike ride are @M_Wales in Cape Carteret and @machinist42 in Wilmington. If you have power & internet, how'd you guys fare?

Doing great.. Power came back yesterday and all if fine here. Went for a short ride today to see the damage and we were very lucky...

Thanks for asking...

Mark
Old 09-18-18, 06:23 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
^^^ That split tree is wild, the ground looks undisturbed. How long were you w/o power?
Lost power at 2000 on the 12th and it came back at around 1800 on the 17th.. Generator saved the day and the house has very minor issues..
Old 09-18-18, 08:23 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Glad to know.

I do know that the tower windows at New River will bow in at about 80mph winds, and rattle pretty good at 100mph winds.

I've not heard from anyone at Surf City, Topsail, or West Onslow, Hampstead, down into Brunswick County, etc. Very little news out of Southport.

By now, some of the rivers are cresting, and I wonder about the Tar, Neuse, and Cape Fear.
Old 09-18-18, 09:37 PM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I'd be very surprised if Tidewater doesn't see at least 2 or 3 more of these "500 year storms" in the next 30 years. Gonna need a new timeline, alright. @RobbieTunes I don't think it's really about corruption in one party or the other, or even both; it's about looking the other way and thinking positive thoughts. It's about ignoring the data and continuing on the same old way as we always done 'er. Beachfront owners hoping for the best. In other words, "Thoughts & Prayers."

Yeah, sorry about that. My point was more of rhetorical one, rather than political. My point was that over the past few years the phrase "thoughts & prayers" has been repeated so consistently, publicly, automatically and helplessly in the face of national tragedies it has become the verbal version of a shrug these days. It has become meaningless. Or worse, a real insult to fellow humans we could help, by coming up with some action plan to make these thoughts and prayers less needed in the future. Fellow humans who may deserve better from us. I guess I shouldn't expect my fellow man to think very far into the future.

@oddjob2 Honest, I'm not meaning to pick on you for your choice of words. A lot of us speak in platitudes a lot of the time. But... you... triggered me buddy
The rise of social media and the 24 / 7 media could be another reason? If Obama was in office all would have been just fine though. We would hear stories of neighborly love and candy would be falling from the sky. Blah blah blah! I was triggered too.
Old 09-19-18, 10:50 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
The Heart Of Flo

I'm 60 miles & Law in Jacksonville is about 15. Two guys really under the gun for this storm that Law & I were going to reach out to for a possible bike ride are @M_Wales in Cape Carteret and @machinist42 in Wilmington. If you have power & internet, how'd you guys fare?
Power, internet, and cell were restored earlier today, Wednesday. I'd estimate at least half the area is still wanting these services; I really have no idea. I feel fortunate.

Cats, Gwendolyn and John, (Jack), are happy, fuzzy and fat, and no longer frightened by rainfall or thunderstorms.

Bikes are fine and entirely undamaged.

I am functioning within normal parameters.

We live on Trails End Road, I have the hats to prove it. I'm 500 feet from the water. There's a road sign outside my bedroom window which reads: "Road Ends 500 Feet". We are maybe a mile from where Flo made landfall, sideways distance. The eyewall lasted about two and a half hours. The weather station 150 meters from my location recorded 95 mph winds for two and a half hours, with gusts up to 135. Fun times! I live in what is called a "cottage" here, but FEMA calls a mobile home or trailer. We are almost 30 feet above sea level, at the crest of the largest hump around here. everything drains down. I have a couple of two hundred year old oaks flanking me, but only a few branches to put out for the pickup.

The eye arrived around 7 am and my first thought was which bike to take out for a ride. I went outside, as did everyone up and down the road who stayed. There was too much debris and too many downed power line and trees on the road for a respectable ride. Also, the eyewall was only at the end of the street, so there was that? It was moving at around 2 mph at that point. Trails End is a half a mile long road. The eye was over us for maybe four hours. Then, there followed four days of Flo.

I've been riding around. Monday evening was perfect. No cars. Well, few cars. One really effective traffic calming device is a tree teetering at an angle over a roadway.

Now, only a few grocers are open for very truncated hours, so the parking lots are full, with lines to enter. I was well provisioned but am running low on Tanzanian Peaberry, so went on a coffee quest. (I hand grind and cold brew in a French press, then decant a cup into a small copper clad Revere pan, then blast the bottom with a Mapp brazing torch for about a minute. It's my standard power outage technique.) Getting to and in the store is greatly facilitated by use of a bicycle, especially one which is C&V. No banks are open. All the ATMs are depleted of cash. No grocer gives cash back. Pretty much everything except Waffle House, a FEMA favorite, is closed. Yet life goes on. I've been through many of these, but though the damage is not as severe as others, the humans here are more shell shocked than I've ever witnessed. I've seen this look before: the glazed eyes, the spastic movements, the nervous speech patterns. Some folk are simply not suited to be in the sh*t? It'll be a few Carolina Blue days before life returns to anything approximating normal here. I suspect it's bad elsewhere. I don't know. I haven't watched the news or read the news or heard the news. I couldn't leave this street until Monday. My cell tower was down until today too.

One sign of healing; people are cutting the downed trees in their yards and piling them roadside, sometime in stacks that dwarf their home, like an enraged spouse putting their duplicitous partner's belongings curbside. It's part of the healing process, but I wish they would not put them in the scant few bike lanes we have. Almost ran into one tonight on Waltmoor, and I travel well lighted, even as I flaunt the mandatory curfew. Someone has to feed the feral cat colonies.

Thank you for your concern and interest! I really wanted to either ride a bike to the mostly intact dock and photograph it against the approaching eyewall, or attempt my 100 km on the Falcon for the Clunker Challenge in the eye. I feel such the disappointment for letting down the community. So it goes, or doesn't.

(My repaint (by the original owner, a professional race car/hotrod painter), "Salmon" or "Coral" (it's pink!), '74 Maserati MT-1 would have looked stunning against the grey trailing eyewall! <sigh emoji>)

p.s. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods still closed, I did find a sack of whole bean Hawaiian at Publix, on sale and with a coupon, on the bottom shelf hidden away. So, a successful day!

p.p.s. I only personally knew one guy who died, Sunday, so that's not too bad a toll? I may sound insensitive, but with the eyewall parked on us for so long, I was expecting a much higher body count.
Old 09-19-18, 11:12 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
2wd

Another really good shop who was right in the bullseye is Two Wheeler Dealer in Wilmington. I think you said you knew Jim the owner when you had Wilmington in your territory. Hopefully they came through OK, they're right in town off South College Rd. so I wouldn't think flooding would be a concern.

https://www.bikesarefun.com/
Jim's at Kerr and Park, and prone to flooding. I couldn't get to them today: Hugh McRae Park is still too flooded, not to mention closed because of debris, and nobody is open anyway. (I'm still trying to find a set of old Suntour BB retaining rings and cups for the sealed cartridge unit on my '84 Lotus Odyssey. I rummage through their takeoff trash. It might be the right bike to ride through this post apocalyptic landscape?)

I'll likely head by there Friday or Saturday, and report back with pictures. They may have power by then, and reopen.
Old 09-20-18, 04:06 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I made it ok but we hàve a lot of destruction, it is worse than Matthew. Spent the last couple of days helping people pull out ruined furniture and hauling junk away. Rode my Univega Nuovo Sport around to survey damage because there is a lot of junk on the road ànd Pasela's are more durbale. Roads flooded, destroyed, bridges and railroad tracks out. Two people in town died and a HS kid is fighting for his life after a tree fell on him.
Old 09-20-18, 08:51 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Two people in town died and a HS kid is fighting for his life after a tree fell on him.
Originally Posted by machinist42
Power, internet, and cell were restored earlier today, Wednesday. I'd estimate at least half the area is still wanting these services; I really have no idea. I feel fortunate. I only personally knew one guy who died, Sunday, so that's not too bad a toll? I may sound insensitive, but with the eyewall parked on us for so long, I was expecting a much higher body count.
Wow ! Glad you guys are OK. As bad as it was, we all dodged a bullet if it would have come in as a cat 4. As usual our hardest days are after the storm has passed, but they're still saying flood waters probably won't exceed Matthew. Strange how creeks and low areas many miles away from the river still back-up and water rises days after the rain has passed. My usual route had higher water last evening than Monday.
Monday

Wednesday

THURSDAY higher still, can't see around corner

SATURDAY AM Highest yet but I guess it crested sometime overnight, you can see from the water line it's finally on the way down.

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.....

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 09-23-18 at 09:54 AM.