Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - getting rid of seat post creaking

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Advice needed - getting rid of seat post creaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 05:07 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Ok, update time. The bike fit did not move my saddle height at all, so I was left to solve that problem after the fit. Interesting though, the bike fitter suggested my bike is too small for me. Which might explain why I am feeling cramped in the cockpit. So now I do not know what to do

Anyway. What I have done so far:
  • Removed seat post
  • Cleaned post thoroughly with rubbing alcohol
  • Put grease between the wedge and the seat post, per the manual
  • Put carbon paste on the front and back (but not the sides) of the seat post and wedge
  • Put grease on the part of the saddle that is not rough but is making contact with the bike's top tube
  • Tightened to 5.5 Nm. Max per manual is 6 Nm.
I have done two rides with this setup and the first ride had zero creaks. The second ride had some creaks here and there but NOTHING like it use to be. I need to get the bike out for several more rides and see if the problem has been solved. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the combination of carbon paste on the gritty parts of the seat post/wedge combined with grease on the smooth part of the seatpost that is in contact with the top tube will have solved my problem. Time will tell I suppose.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in.