Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How long to clean drivetrain and bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How long to clean drivetrain and bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 04:16 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
an invasive clean might include bearing services. 2.5hrs maybe? That's touching each nipple too.
You touched your bike's nipples? I'm telling on you.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-08-23, 04:18 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by base2
The most thorough I ever do includes a tooth brush for dust on the chain and/or a similar brass wire brush at the cassette to remove any gross debris or flakes of wax. Probably 5 minutes of actual work if I'm superlatively thorough. Not that any such attention is warranted more than maybe once per season or so.

The chain goes in a preheated crockpot for 5 minutes, and get reinstalled at my convenience anytime after it has cooled enough to be stiff.

I wax my stainless steel Wipperman Sx chains when I hear "the rattle of pearls." So far they refuse to generate any measurable wear. So, maybe I am spending too much time fussin' over cleaning.
Dusty chain? You're not riding enough.
Old 09-08-23, 05:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
As part of prepping bikes at my co-op, we do a through cleaning before tear and rebuild. Usually, all that needs to be done is spray with Simple Green or, my preference, Armor All Extreme Wheel and Tire Cleaner, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and spray it off. We often have to do a bit more wiping when we take parts off but grand total of cleaning is usually far less than 30 minutes.

Sometimes we get something like this

I trashed the crank and cleaned the rest. It took about an hour but that is a particularly nasty example.

For my own bikes, I seldom need to clean them other than with a hose or occassionally the car wash.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-08-23, 10:35 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by cyccommute
As part of prepping bikes at my co-op, we do a through cleaning before tear and rebuild. Usually, all that needs to be done is spray with Simple Green or, my preference, Armor All Extreme Wheel and Tire Cleaner, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and spray it off. We often have to do a bit more wiping when we take parts off but grand total of cleaning is usually far less than 30 minutes.

Sometimes we get something like this

I trashed the crank and cleaned the rest. It took about an hour but that is a particularly nasty example.

For my own bikes, I seldom need to clean them other than with a hose or occassionally the car wash.
What was wrong with the crank? Dirty but looks to have good teeth.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-09-23, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by spelger
What was wrong with the crank? Dirty but looks to have good teeth.
We have tons of cranks of much better quality so it just wasn’t worth cleaning.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-10-23, 07:30 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
About an hour.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-10-23, 03:43 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
... my preference, Armor All Extreme Wheel and Tire Cleaner, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes ...
This does not harm the paint? Is there anywhere that you cannot get this on (e.g., seals, bearings, etc.)?
Old 09-10-23, 06:29 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This does not harm the paint? Is there anywhere that you cannot get this on (e.g., seals, bearings, etc.)?
Hasn’t yet. It foams a bit but I wouldn’t worry about it around seals.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-10-23, 10:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Got to test out my time this week, I've been looking for bikes for a refugee family and was handed a trek 820 and a trek 800 that have been sitting in the corner of a very dirty garage for that last decade. From start to finish, full tune, hub regreasing and adjustment and full clean I was 2.5 hours for the pair. The kid's size trek 820 had clearly been messed with and needed some fiddling to get the shifters and front der back in line. The original owner, on seeing them finished described them as looking like new, and they were spotless, Total of 6 rags just for cleaning and another for lubing the chain and cleaning bearings. I use separately since grease rags go in the garbage but cleaning rags head into the wash, they might have a little oil on them from the frame but the windex does help to break that down. So based on time for tune, wheel trues and bearing adjustment taking the pair from crusty to clean was about 20 min but I never have personal bikes as dirty as these.
Old 09-11-23, 01:31 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I only ride the belt drive Rohloff anymore. I first use a clean rag to wipe around the hub were there is a little oil that sprays onto it. Everything else is warm soapy water. I also use dawn.
Old 09-11-23, 02:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
perhaps I am getting to compulsive about cleaning the chain so it looks almost like new. But after it is cleaned, it is whisper quiet. Maybe that isn’t necessary. Major caveat, I only clean the bike once every month or month and a half depending if I ride some gravel.
Since switching to a wax-based drip lube (Silca Super Secret), my drivetrain cleaning time is much quicker, and way less messy. My typical between-ride hose-off, wipe-down, and re-lube takes 15 minutes, including some breaks to play with my dogs a couple of times. If it takes me an hour or more, it involves a larger maintenance/repair issue, or I REALLY went looking for something to clean (disassembly of the rear derailleur cage and deep-clean of the jockey wheel bearings, for example). The need for that kind of cleaning has diminished, too.
Old 09-11-23, 03:38 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
they're a recumbent fixie though...
Top tube or bottom bracket?...
Old 09-19-23, 08:30 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I'd say about 30mins for a full clean. Degrease chain, wash bike, apply new lube, etc. Sometimes I find the process kind of cathartic. All depends on the kind of day I am having.