Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

does 3x require more shifting than 2x?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

does 3x require more shifting than 2x?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 09:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
I have already tubeless rims on all my mountain bikes , my jamis has a front supension, my 3other mountain bike projects will have it too as well as tubeless rims.I don't do disk brakes.
What tubeless, (or tubeless ready) rim-compatible, 26” MTB rims are you using?
Old 09-24-23, 10:03 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have 26" tubeless UST Mavic rims on a early 1980's Ritchey mountain bike. They do exist.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 09-24-23, 10:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
It is more time consuming to change disc brakes pads and do the purge than changing v brakes pads. Most people won’t feel comfortable changing disc brake pads and the possibility of having to bleed a hydraulic disc brake system, and will need maintenance assistance. Rim brakes are relatively simple to swap over brake pads yourself without complicated tools etc.When comparing the different frame and fork construction methods, the weight difference can be anywhere between 300g to 500g. Though disc technology is advancing rapidly, it is still slightly heavier when looking at the complete system. Whether you are replacing individual components, full groupsets or complete bikes, the disc brake version is almost always more expensive. Do you change your own disc brake pads Mr Hski ?
Changing pads is a trivial task. Maybe a 5 min job at most and does NOT require a brake bleed. You are clueless about this.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-23, 10:07 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Or they dream up reasons why the old tech is superior. "Down tube shifters allow more precise handling because dropping your hand to shift gears lowers your center of gravity."
It is more time consuming to change disc brakes pads and do the purge than changing v brakes pads. Most people won’t feel comfortable changing disc brake pads and the possibility of having to bleed a hydraulic disc brake system, and will need maintenance assistance. Rim brakes are relatively simple to swap over brake pads yourself without complicated tools etc.When comparing the different frame and fork construction methods, the weight difference can be anywhere between 300g to 500g. Though disc technology is advancing rapidly, it is still slightly heavier when looking at the complete system. Whether you are replacing individual components, full groupsets or complete bikes, the disc brake version is almost always more expensive. Do you change your own disc brake pads Mr Hski ?
So true!
Old 09-24-23, 10:22 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs

What I am here for, is TRUTH.

Your bikes are super---the best For You. Don’t try to say they are ”The Best.” Explain why You like them and how they serve Your needs, without pretending the whole world needs to agree with you.

You have a stable of really beautiful bikes there. I would be proud if I owned them (though I am no longer fit enough (and possibly never was skilled enough) to use them to their full potential.) They are beautiful and functional bikes which suit you quite well, you claim (and I am not disputing that claim.) Just stop trying to pretend they are the categorical, in-every-situation, BEST. They are the best For You. In part they are the best for you because you like them the best.
Agreed, nothing wrong with enjoying C&V bikes. They were the best bikes of their era and they are as good today as they were then. But pretending that newer bikes are inferior and/or marketing hype is poor form.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-23, 10:24 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Mavic XM819 UST Tubeless rims laced to DT240S hubs on the Kona and the Scapin, Mavic XM819 UST Tubeless rims laced to Shimano XT 780 T hubs on the Merida and Mavic Crossmax SL SSC on the Jamis.
Likes For georges1:
Old 09-24-23, 11:05 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Shop mechanic here. Will be working on this stuff today...
  • Disc brake systems overall are heavier and pad replacements are more difficult, expensive and time consuming. The frustrating incompatibilities between a multitude of systems doesn't help.
  • Most of the riding public is not capable of replacing disc pads, whereas they would take on rim pad replacements based on experience or after watching a quick video. The cartridge-based pad systems make rim brake pad replacements simpler.
  • Hydraulic bleeds: very few of the riding public will take this on.
  • Most of the riding public would be better served with rim brakes due to the simplicity, lower weight and lower cost. Plus not everyone is riding with camping gear down big descents in the rain; the extra braking performance is just not worth it.
  • Suspension: for most riders an unnecessary burden. Extra weight, complexity, and especially cost. Shedding the extraneous suspension gear would allow manufacturers to put more money into some areas that really matter, such as wheels.
  • Tubeless: Your average rider has maybe one flat per year, which is longer than the maintenance interval for tubeless (dried out sealant). Plus the extra PITA on setup and the impossibility of roadside repairs.
  • Internal cable routing. It looks kewl, saves you .001 watts of air resistance, and it ties you inexorably to your shop for the simplest of maintenance items. $300 to swap out a stem?
  • Yet another cassette cog every 7 years? Enough already.

Manufacturers should stick to simple technology that works, instead of extraneous complicated gimmicks. Progress I guess.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 09-24-23, 12:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Looks like job security. Just like cars have become more complex requiring technical expertise. Then there is my 71 car that I can wrench on versus my ‘17. The 71 works fine but prefer the ‘17 just like my 2020 bike over the ‘82. The new stuff goes to the shop. It’s the price of ownership and choosing not to educate myself when I could be doing something else.

I can replace my Shimano disc pads in about 2 mins.

Old 09-24-23, 12:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Good thread and lots of good discussion. But please avoid insults. Thanks

Stan
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 09-24-23, 01:00 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
  • Disc brake systems overall are heavier and pad replacements are more difficult, expensive and time consuming. The frustrating incompatibilities between a multitude of systems doesn't help.
  • Most of the riding public is not capable of replacing disc pads, whereas they would take on rim pad replacements based on experience or after watching a quick video. The cartridge-based pad systems make rim brake pad replacements simpler.
  • Hydraulic bleeds: very few of the riding public will take this on.
  • Most of the riding public would be better served with rim brakes due to the simplicity, lower weight and lower cost. Plus not everyone is riding with camping gear down big descents in the rain; the extra braking performance is just not worth it.
  • Suspension: for most riders an unnecessary burden. Extra weight, complexity, and especially cost. Shedding the extraneous suspension gear would allow manufacturers to put more money into some areas that really matter, such as wheels.
  • Tubeless: Your average rider has maybe one flat per year, which is longer than the maintenance interval for tubeless (dried out sealant). Plus the extra PITA on setup and the impossibility of roadside repairs.
  • Internal cable routing. It looks kewl, saves you .001 watts of air resistance, and it ties you inexorably to your shop for the simplest of maintenance items. $300 to swap out a stem?
  • Yet another cassette cog every 7 years? Enough already.

Manufacturers should stick to simple technology that works, instead of extraneous complicated gimmicks. Progress I guess.
Most of the "riding public" won't even read BF. Changing disc pads is simple and you know it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-23, 01:04 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts

Disc brake systems overall are heavier and pad replacements are more difficult, expensive and time consuming. The frustrating incompatibilities between a multitude of systems doesn't help.
. Oh, BS. Changing pads on any bike is a five-minute job. I don't care how many years you have worked in how many shops .... I have been maintaining bikes for as long. Most posters here have. That is just BS.

As for different systems needing different pads .... yeah. Same with rim brakes. I have had sidepull, centerpull, and V-brakes in my stable at one time. Guess what? Different techniques needed for each. Different pads needed for each. None of them difficult at all.

Are disc systems heavier ... a bit. But the whole "Only a light bike is a good bike thing" is a marketing ploy. Racers like light bikes ... but racers like discs. Everyday riders .... the "light bike" fetish is sort of comical. Most riders could stand to lose some weight ... and of course, we are all carrying tools, tubes or patches/plugs, CO2 or pumps, food, water .... saving a few hundred grams is not that big a deal.

I like light bikes but the "added weight" of discs is a non-issue. Anyone who claims his or her ride was ruined by an extra 300 grams is flat lying or delusional.

Like the man said, nice attempt at maintaining job security.

Most of the riding public is not capable of replacing disc pads, whereas they would take on rim pad replacements based on experience or after watching a quick video. The cartridge-based pad systems make rim brake pad replacements simpler.
Again, pure BS. Changing brake shoes is much less complicated than tying shoe laces.
Hydraulic bleeds: very few of the riding public will take this on.
So is indexing gears ... does this mean we should all ride S/S?
Most of the riding public would be better served with rim brakes due to the simplicity, lower weight and lower cost. Plus not everyone is riding with camping gear down big descents in the rain; the extra braking performance is just not worth it.
I sort of agree ... most people probably aren't using 90+% of their braking potential on almost any ride. But ... is it wasted if they only use it once and it saves their butts? Tough call for some ... unless it is your butt .....
Suspension: for most riders an unnecessary burden. Extra weight, complexity, and especially cost. Shedding the extraneous suspension gear would allow manufacturers to put more money into some areas that really matter, such as wheels.
Are you high? Almost all bikes Do Not Have Suspension ... and the bikes we are discussing which have suspension,,,,,,, were dedicated off-road bikes.
Tubeless: Your average rider has maybe one flat per year, which is longer than the maintenance interval for tubeless (dried out sealant). Plus the extra PITA on setup and the impossibility of roadside repairs.
More massive BS. You have no idea how often "riders" have flats ... some people live in goathead country, some ride urban environments .... and most probably don't come to you for flat repair because of your attitude.

Lots of people ride tubeless off-road and find it a tremendous boon (you did notice how much of the discussion was about mountain bikes, right?) and a lot of people ride tubeless on the road and find it ... a huge boon. Lower pressure, no pinch flats, self-sealing punctures, and should something go wrong, screw in a plug, pump up the tire, and roll away. I am not sure where you live, but here in reality, a lot of people use tubeless with no problems. Sorry for you......

Internal cable routing. It looks kewl, saves you .001 watts of air resistance, and it ties you inexorably to your shop for the simplest of maintenance items. $300 to swap out a stem?
Okay, now we are into "Old Wrench Yelling at Clouds:" territory. Anyone who buys a bike with an aero stem know what they are getting and why. Whether you approve is immaterial. And a few of my bikes have regular stems and internal cabling through the frame. I have not found it to be a problem. Maybe next time you have trouble, give me a call, I will straighten you out. ..
Yet another cassette cog every 7 years? Enough already.
Enough for whom? Basically you are here saying "Nobody should do anything without consulting me!" Yeah ... whatever. See those clouds? No one is yelling at them. Stop slacking.

Manufacturers should stick to ...... tech which works, like all of the stuff you complain about. It all works and it all works well, your pointless carping aside .... and most of it is pretty simple.

Bikes have gotten Way better since I started riding. And funny enough, the stuff I started riding ... single-speed coaster brake, three-speed IGH with dual rim brakes .... it is all around still, and still works. And now we have so many other options.

Please ... get back in your Ford Model T and drive back into the past. The rest of us are fine here.
Old 09-24-23, 01:14 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Are disc systems heavier ... a bit. But the whole "Only a light bike is a good bike thing" is a marketing ploy. Racers like light bikes ... but racers like discs. Everyday riders .... the "light bike" fetish is sort of comical. Most riders could stand to lose some weight ... and of course, we are all carrying tools, tubes or patches/plugs, CO2 or pumps, food, water .... saving a few hundred grams is not that big a deal.

I like light bikes but the "added weight" of discs is a non-issue. Anyone who claims his or her ride was ruined by an extra 300 grams is flat lying or delusional.
The rim brake weight weenie argument never gets old.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-23, 01:19 PM
PeteHski

[*]Tubeless: Your average rider has maybe one flat per year, which is longer than the maintenance interval for tubeless (dried out sealant). Plus the extra PITA on setup and the impossibility of roadside repairs.
BS to that. I've repaired plenty of tubeless tyres by the roadside. Mostly mtb in the UST era without sealant. But I have had to use the odd Dynaplug on road tyres in the last 3 years. You can always fit a tube as a last resort - which I have never had to actually do with any tubeless setup.

I used to get about one flat per month on average with tubed road tyres. So I was well above your estimated average.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-23, 01:46 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
This is another example of the old attitude that “30 years ago (when I got into bikes) we reached the pinnacle of bike development. Everything introduced prior to that time is useful and worth having, but everything that’s come out since then is a waste. Nobody needs any of these newfangled gimmicks. The only stuff that’s not newfangled gimmicks is whatever I had on my bikes back in my heyday.”

Nine, ten, or thirteen cogs are unnecessary? Why are seven not too many? What makes that the perfect number? Why even have a derailleur? Single speed is light, durable, simple, and dead reliable, so is everyone with five or more gears being duped? What about cantilever brakes? You’re saying they’re a good idea, because they work better than center pull calipers on a mountain bike, but hydraulic disc brakes are too heavy, expensive, and difficult to maintain, so never mind their benefits; not worth having?

Disc brakes too heavy and complicated, not to mention hard to maintain. But 3x drivetrain superior to a 1x and wide range cassette. What am I missing?

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-24-23 at 02:31 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-24-23, 02:21 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
There is a contingent of our BF community who are similar to freshly hatched birds imprinted on the first bikes that impressed them like the duckling who thinks their mother is a Labrador Retriever. It's the same argument every time any newer tech discussion beyond 1975. I understand the collector/hoarder aspect of the C&V community but not the Luddite view that all improvements since their perceived golden era of bikes are useless or a detriment and only a result of Big Bikes marketing campaigns and an unsuspecting public.

Steel vs Carbon
Friction vs Indexed
Tubular vs Everything else
3x vs 2x
36 Spokes vs Less
Rim vs Disc

Ride what you want, but attempting to convince others that these older technologies are superior is bizarre. An old mechanic telling non-truths and exaggerations to make a point looks sad.

There is a contingent of old-timer C&V riders who I sometimes see at a local cycling cafe or on a popular cycling route. Beautifully restored dream machines and a happy group of guys enjoying a weekend ride, telling stories and getting some exercise. They are not riding these C&V bikes because of there performance advantages but rather as part of the hobby of collecting bicycles. They don’t frown on people riding modern bikes nor do those who ride modern bikes look down on them.

I am amazed every time I go for a ride the improvements in bike tech. Take a new S-Works Roubaix for a spin followed up any 70’s era bike and honestly declare you would prefer riding the vintage rig on your next long weekend ride. If your answer is yes you would be in a extremely limited cohort, for a reason!

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-24-23 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-24-23, 02:21 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
This is another example of the old attitude that “30 years ago (when I got into bikes) we reached the pinnacle of bike development. Everything introduced prior to that time is useful and worth having, but everything that’s come out since then is a waste. Nobody needs any of these newfangled gimmicks. The only stuff that’s not newfangled gimmicks is whatever I had on my bikes back in my heyday.”

Nine, ten, or thirteen cogs are unnecessary? Why are seven not too many? What makes that the perfect number? Why even have a derailleur? Single speed is light, durable, simple, and dead reliable, so is everyone with five or more gears being duped? What about cantilever brakes? You’re saying they’re a good idea, because they work better than center pull calipers on a mountain bike, but hydraulic disc brakes are too heavy, expensive, and difficult to maintain, so never mind their benefits; not worth having?

Disc brakes too heavy and complicated, not to mention hard to maintain. But 3x drivetrain superior to a 1x with wide range cassette. What am I missing?
I have already 30 speeds on all myMTBs (ten speeds cassettes and triple cranks, the XT 780 T was a 30 speeds group nor a 27speeds nor 22 speeds) , that will be the same setup for my next bike projects. There is no perfect number of speeds , you ride what you need and what suits you the best.12 speeds may work for you whereas 30 speeds work for me and 22 speeds may work for others.
Regarding brakes, the ubrake was a good thing but short lived. I know people who still have magura brakes on their bikes. I also still have a 32 years old hybrid bike with center pull brakes which stops fine. People who were used to service and change disc brakes have probably done it when disc brakes appeared on the market which is why they can do it quickly.
Old 09-24-23, 02:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Nine, ten, or thirteen cogs are unnecessary? Why are seven not too many? What makes that the perfect number?
"Perfect" is an unattainable fantasy. Every technology change involves a trade-off.

There is guideline that is pertinent: a technology change that's not backwards compatible had better deliver a big improvement.

Switching from N cogs to N+1 cogs arguably lies in the "compatibility breaking change with minor improvement" category.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-24-23, 03:10 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
BS to that. I've repaired plenty of tubeless tyres by the roadside. Mostly mtb in the UST era without sealant. But I have had to use the odd Dynaplug on road tyres in the last 3 years. You can always fit a tube as a last resort - which I have never had to actually do with any tubeless setup.

I used to get about one flat per month on average with tubed road tyres. So I was well above your estimated average.
So tubeless don't really prevent flats, that's good to know.. I'll stick with my old fashioned tubed tires.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-24-23, 03:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
I worked for 50 years, most of it as an auto mechanic and the last 30 years as a new car dealer diagnostic tech. There are plenty of long term mechanic/techs in the biz who are resistant to anything new and will speak out against it. There are also plenty who don't know what they are talking about.

When I started working on cars there were no computers, let alone all the other changes that happened since the early 70s. I was the first at my dealer to be electric car certified. Also diesel certified. Embrace the change, no sense sniveling about it. See the viability in something different, not just your prejudices.
Old 09-24-23, 04:07 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
So tubeless don't really prevent flats, that's good to know.. I'll stick with my old fashioned tubed tires.
Well not if you don’t use sealant.
Old 09-24-23, 04:16 PM
PeteHski

People who were used to service and change disc brakes have probably done it when disc brakes appeared on the market which is why they can do it quickly.
Lots of people have already informed you that changing disc brake pads is a trivial 5 min job requiring no special tools or skill. Just accept it, learn and move on.
Old 09-24-23, 05:51 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by big john
I worked for 50 years, most of it as an auto mechanic and the last 30 years as a new car dealer diagnostic tech. There are plenty of long term mechanic/techs in the biz who are resistant to anything new and will speak out against it. There are also plenty who don't know what they are talking about.

When I started working on cars there were no computers, let alone all the other changes that happened since the early 70s. I was the first at my dealer to be electric car certified. Also diesel certified. Embrace the change, no sense sniveling about it. See the viability in something different, not just your prejudices.
EVs are really bringing out all the Luddites. They are always keen to list and exaggerate all the negatives and unwilling to acknowledge any positives. They just don’t want to accept anything different.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-24-23, 10:50 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
The industry sycophants and gullible early adopters are easily riled!

Extending their arguments, we absolutely need new tech on road bikes such as:
  • 15-speed cassettes with a 8-50 cog range
  • Suspension forks
  • Rear suspension
  • Electrically-operated dropper posts
  • 52mm tires pumped to 20psi
35 pounds, but then what is a little extra weight?
Old 09-25-23, 02:28 AM
PeteHski

• Suspension forks
  • Rear suspension
You are the one who appears to be riled by the entire bike industry.

So anyone who buys a new bike is now an “early adopter”? What a load of BS.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-25-23, 08:42 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts

• Suspension forks
  • Rear suspension
You're a terrible comedian.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.