Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Extended Tour in Western Europe and living in France?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 03:37 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

Long story short: I want to go touring in Europe again but I would also like to try living in France for a time (maybe). I just found out France has this weird rule for travelers that you have to leave the country after 90 days unless you have a visa of one kind or another and me being the lazy, not fond of planning guy that I am, I don't want to bother with that. Since one can move throughout mainland Europe without getting their passport stamped and thus proving you left France, is there a way I could circumvent that law somehow? I want to stay in a smallish town (preferrably) where people are friendly but it needs to have a language school where I can go to improve my French and meet people, advice on that front? I've only ridden from Calais to Bordeaux along the coast (skipping Brittanny) so I don't really know where I could go. The towns I liked were all too small for the aforementioned activities. Perhaps, with the exception of Dieppe.

Anyone else had any experience doing something like this? Even if you lived in another country while on a tour I'd like to hear about it. Sure seems a lot better than coming back to North America to work

I'm also interested in hearing advice for places to go on this tour. I think I'm pretty unusual when it comes to touring in that I like to avoid large cities like the plague. I LOVED the mild temperatures and WW2 historical places along the coast, friendly small-town people and charming buildings but I didn't really stop too much to check out art galleries an museums and all that normal tourist stuff. I kind of like to sightsee as I roll. I never even went to a proper French restaurant while I was there, it was either Carrefour or MacDo, lol. Or Kebab huts (what is with the French aversion to spice?). But yeah, those long empty secondary highways with heat shimmering the surface of the road ahead and a town every 20 kms or so with a Bar Tabac Presse shop...super charming Maybe might want to go into the Southern Coast area and mountains next time too. Love those high speed descents.
Old 06-23-15, 04:14 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It isn't a weird rule. Most countries (including Canada) have limits on how long a tourist can remain without a visa, and 90 days is quite common.

You can spend up to 90 days in the Schengen area in any period of 180 days. The 90 days doesn't have to be consecutive, and the clock starts again after every 180 days. The Schengen area covers most of the EU except the UK and Ireland, and as it happens the UK will let you stay for up to 180 days consecutively. So as I understand it you could visit Europe virtually indefinitely by simply dividing your time between continental Europe and the British Isles. The same trick is possible by visiting some Eastern European countries which are also in the EU but not in Schengen - you can google for them.

this doesn't help you much with living in France, of course. If you want to do that, then your desire to attend a language school might be the answer. Make enquiries about a student visa.

As for touring in France, the possibilities are endless. It's hard to think of a part of the country I wouldn't recommend. But if you like the mountains, the French Pyrenees might be to your taste. Wherever you choose, please eat in French cafes and restaurants. It hurts me to think of anyone touring in France and eating McD's, really.
Old 06-23-15, 07:20 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, okay, thanks for the help. I guess a student visa would be worth the effort. Not really a huge fan of the idea of touring in the UK after my last experience there. I almost think some of the drivers were TRYING to kill me, haha.

Haha yes okay I will try some proper French restaurants the next time. I'm going to guess you have never eaten at a French McDonalds, it is nothing like the North American version. I would never eat in a North American McDonalds but the French ones are amazing. Everything is made from French ingredients (ostensibly). No flattened burger pucks like they make in 'muricah, lol.

Thanks for your response, gave me a good chuckle.
Old 06-23-15, 10:55 PM
RedandBlack

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been struggling with the Schengen area issue myself. Here's some Wiki info I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area . Towards the bottom is a section on "Stays that exceed 90 days". Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-15, 11:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTourist
Hmm, okay, thanks for the help. I guess a student visa would be worth the effort. Not really a huge fan of the idea of touring in the UK after my last experience there. I almost think some of the drivers were TRYING to kill me, haha.

Haha yes okay I will try some proper French restaurants the next time. I'm going to guess you have never eaten at a French McDonalds, it is nothing like the North American version. I would never eat in a North American McDonalds but the French ones are amazing. Everything is made from French ingredients (ostensibly). No flattened burger pucks like they make in 'muricah, lol.

Thanks for your response, gave me a good chuckle.
You do realise that chasm54 is from the UK, right?
Old 06-23-15, 11:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Hi

Long story short: I want to go touring in Europe again but I would also like to try living in France for a time (maybe). I just found out France has this weird rule for travelers that you have to leave the country after 90 days unless you have a visa of one kind or another and me being the lazy, not fond of planning guy that I am, I don't want to bother with that. Since one can move throughout mainland Europe without getting their passport stamped and thus proving you left France, is there a way I could circumvent that law somehow? I want to stay in a smallish town (preferrably) where people are friendly but it needs to have a language school where I can go to improve my French and meet people, advice on that front? I've only ridden from Calais to Bordeaux along the coast (skipping Brittanny) so I don't really know where I could go. The towns I liked were all too small for the aforementioned activities. Perhaps, with the exception of Dieppe.

Anyone else had any experience doing something like this? Even if you lived in another country while on a tour I'd like to hear about it. Sure seems a lot better than coming back to North America to work

I'm also interested in hearing advice for places to go on this tour. I think I'm pretty unusual when it comes to touring in that I like to avoid large cities like the plague. I LOVED the mild temperatures and WW2 historical places along the coast, friendly small-town people and charming buildings but I didn't really stop too much to check out art galleries an museums and all that normal tourist stuff. I kind of like to sightsee as I roll. I never even went to a proper French restaurant while I was there, it was either Carrefour or MacDo, lol. Or Kebab huts (what is with the French aversion to spice?). But yeah, those long empty secondary highways with heat shimmering the surface of the road ahead and a town every 20 kms or so with a Bar Tabac Presse shop...super charming Maybe might want to go into the Southern Coast area and mountains next time too. Love those high speed descents.

1) If you are under 30, you might be able to work in other countries. If you are over 30 ... nope.

2) Look up the information on the Schengen zone. We toured Europe for about 4 months fairly recently ... spent about 3 weeks in the UK (mostly Scotland), then just under 90 days in the Schengen zone, then back to the UK again. If you find out which countries are part of the Schengen zone and which are not, you'll be able to go back and forth as necessary. Governments don't like lazy people who want to circumvent the law.

3) If you rode Calais to Bordeaux along the coast, you do know where to find a language school. Next time you do that, stop to check things out. Have a look around.

4) I am Canadian ... I've done a lot of travelling ... and I've been living in Australia for the last 6 years. Legally, of course.
Old 06-24-15, 02:53 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts

Just go... Then sort things out as you go along, be that having to leave Schengenland, get visas or whatever.
It's hard to know what will happen and what your situation will be after 3 months... heck you might have fallen in love, marry and live in a Chateau happily for the rest of your life!

edit: other ex-pats can be a great source of advice if you bump into them
Old 06-24-15, 06:14 AM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imi: I'm inclined to take your advice there. I'd been looking up custom bike manufacturers and contemplating spending over $5'000 for a bike, doing lots of planning and all the stuff people tend to do. Then I remembered that adversity will happen whether I have plans or not. I'm just going to go, hah

Machka: I'd be looking to work as a "Routier" or long-haul trucker in Europe, typically those jobs are easy to get worldwide because nobody wants to do it. If you have experience (and I do) I know companies in North America import people from all over the world and usually those imports get sick of things here and go back home to welcoming arms, so to speak. So with that in mind, do you think being over 30 precludes work in the transport industry too? Probably just talking out of my derriere anyway, moving to France to work 60 hour weeks kind of defeats the purpose of moving to France
Old 06-24-15, 06:17 AM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realise Chasm54 was from the UK but that doesn't change the fact that I was almost sure the drivers there were TRYING to kill me
Unless Chasm54 is solely responsibly for ensuring the population of the UK are courteous drivers I doubt offense would be taken.
Old 06-24-15, 08:03 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people just flout the laws. If you want to get a certified licensed type job like a trucker that may not be an option and I think you'd need to be fairly fluent in the language. Of course consequences for breaking laws of other countries are on you. I worked for 6 months or more on 90 day tourist visas then i somehow got a residence visa which is technically for people who own property. What I needed/ wanted was a work visa but few companies are large enough to sponsor people for these. I was supposed to leave after each 90 day visa but i didn't and still got a new visa. This was in Asia. I did have special meetings with a local immigration officer and I helped their kid prepare for a job interview. I was also 1 of 3-4 white people in a city of half a million and i was 1 of 2 Americans. So, I got parades and old ladies would give me cookies. I was on a billboard and had a TV commercial (way to keep it low key). Not a typical situation and the French will not be so happy to see you.

I was looking at tours in Europe in general. Seems like a lot of the river valleys have a bikepath for significant distances along the river. The Mosselle I believe borders France. The Rhine I think the bike path goes back and forth between France and Germany. You'd have to look but there may be paths along the Sein as well which goes through Paris. If I remember correctly I think I was thinking the Moselle for myself. One thing that seemed nice is they say there is a small town every 20 or so miles with a quaint cafe. No need to carry a bunch of food or stuff. You can just stop and eat. Of course that costs money. I guess camping is pretty common too. I think it could be an affordable trip just for a once out and back even if you don't stay.

I think once you've been somewhere for a month or more you are now allowed to eat mcdonalds and seek out the comforts of home and your native land without feeling bad about it. You could start by contacting trucking companies now and seeing if they need that help and if they can sponsor your visa.

I went from dreams of long distance bike travel to more mountain biking but maybe i'll still try a bikepacking adventure this year close to home. I'd have to buy camping gear and panniers and i hate camping. Maybe some day I will be able to go on a plastic tour. Bring a credit card, stay in motels/ hotels, eat out and not worry about much but riding and exploring.
Old 06-24-15, 08:08 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This sounds like a great trip. I lived in Europe for a few years and traveled everywhere by bike. There are lots and lots of places in France where I would stay. I really like Alsace Lorraine. The food is good everywhere but I liked the mixture of German and French food you'll find in Alsace. I agree about staying out of large towns. Check out Colmar; it's beautiful. You can ride into Germany or Luxembourg pretty easily. Plus you have first rate hiking if you like nearby. That would probably be my first choice but there are other great areas to stay.
Old 06-24-15, 10:12 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

I didn't realise Chasm54 was from the UK but that doesn't change the fact that I was almost sure the drivers there were TRYING to kill me
You did realise the british drive on the left, yes?

I seriously doubt you'd be able to find trucking jobs without a work visa... How about the tourist industry? Bars, restaurants, hotels, hostels etc? A bartender and/or barista course would be good to do. Are you french speaking? Even check out the organised bike touring and other "adventure" companies. A nice ride would be say from Paris, to Marseille, take the boat to Corsica and work the tourist season... - just thinking out loud

Last edited by imi; 06-24-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
From US, it was 6 months in UK.. includes Ireland .. then you may leave , to an outside the EU country ( like Norway, Switzerland ) then re enter.

I did OK cycling on the left side of the road for Months, , but when I returned ,
when I saw an oncoming car on a narrow road I still reflexively went to the left edge of the road

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-24-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-24-15, 11:12 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless Chasm54 is solely responsibly for ensuring the population of the UK are courteous drivers I doubt offense would be taken.
No offence. But if you struggled with the driving in the UK I'd strongly recommend that you don't include Rome in your itinerary.
Old 06-24-15, 11:45 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
From US, it was 6 months in UK.. includes Ireland .. then you may leave , to an outside the EU country ( like Norway, Switzerland ) then re enter.
I don't know what you're trying to say. But people should be aware that there are some countries which are part of the Schengen zone but which are NOT part of the EU. Two of these countries are Switzerland and Norway. And there are also some countries which are in the EU such as the UK, but which are not part of the Schengen zone.
Old 06-24-15, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
EU citizens of Poland get work permits in the UK now.
things change..

.. the clock started in LHR when I made a follow on connection to Dublin.

that was before the Irish Republic was in the Euro Currency Zone . so crossing to the North The Punt
was traded for the Pound. now it's a Euro To Pound border.

'91 one of my fellow Passengers on the Ferry got a VAT refund on his Bike , getting the papers stamped
where he left the Newcastle to Norway ferry slip. That ferry route is discontinued Now.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-24-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 11:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Machka: I'd be looking to work as a "Routier" or long-haul trucker in Europe, typically those jobs are easy to get worldwide because nobody wants to do it. If you have experience (and I do) I know companies in North America import people from all over the world and usually those imports get sick of things here and go back home to welcoming arms, so to speak. So with that in mind, do you think being over 30 precludes work in the transport industry too? Probably just talking out of my derriere anyway, moving to France to work 60 hour weeks kind of defeats the purpose of moving to France
Being under 30 will allow you to live and work in other countries on a working holiday visa. It's fairly easy to get.

However, if you're over 30, there are usually two ways to be able to work in another country:

1) Have a desired skill + be sponsored/have a job lined up before you go.

2) Be married to a local of that country and be in a financial position where your partner can support you for 6 months to 2 years.

If you're over 30 and want to work in France, you will have to do some planning. You'll have to look up the France immigration website and start researching what is required.

Rowan and I have looked it up a time or two, and we're simply not qualified at this time. We don't have enough education/skills ... despite the fact that I have a Bachelor of Education and can teach in both Canada and Australia.

You can't just walk into another country and start working.
Old 06-25-15, 04:12 AM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by Machka
You can't just walk into another country and start working.
Well, not legally anyhow. The tourism, construction and agriculture industries traditionally employ illegally.
I'm not recommending this though - you'll have no health insurance and can be prosecuted/deported and banned from reentering for a number of years (five from the EU? not sure...)

Just a suggestion... how about putting your plans off for say a year, work your butt off, scrimp and save so that you'll have enough money to stay in France for longer without having to look for work... Then when you get there "que sera, sera"

Last edited by imi; 06-25-15 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-25-15, 10:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by imi
Well, not legally anyhow. The tourism, construction and agriculture industries traditionally employ illegally.
I'm not recommending this though - you'll have no health insurance and can be prosecuted/deported and banned from reentering for a number of years (five from the EU? not sure...)

Just a suggestion... how about putting your plans off for say a year, work your butt off, scrimp and save so that you'll have enough money to stay in France for longer without having to look for work... Then when you get there "que sera, sera"
+1 ... and possibly even placed in a detention centre for 6 months, or in rare cases, up to 18 months.

EU Immigration Portal - Work authorisation - European Commission
Old 06-27-15, 03:02 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may sound strange but the best way to live and work in France is to cycle-tour in Spain. Lots of divorced, single and separated French women of all ages do the El Camino pilgrimage to Santiago. Many are mentally unstable and vulnerable to the charms and TLC of a like-minded soul. Befriend as many as you can as you cycle the El Camino and exchange addresses. Then afterwards, choose the best one. Turn up on her doorstep out of the blue, move in and start work as a handyman who does jobs for cash. It will probably last for 3 years before you need to move on.

Worked for me.
Old 06-28-15, 09:44 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
You could have trouble when you try to leave the Schengen area if you've overstayed your welcome.

I've never had anything but "Have a good time!" when I enter or exit through Copenhagen with my U.S. Passport. But on my last trip I exited through Oslo, where I had to show my Swedish work & residence permit. I had spent something like 2 of the previous 75 weeks outside of the Schengen area, so without the residence permit, I'd probably have found out what Norwegian jail is like.