Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My big ride (Ride recap)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My big ride (Ride recap)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 01:34 AM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My big ride (Ride recap)

Hey all,

On 01-28-2016 I embarked on a single-day bike adventure that would surpass anything I had ever done on my bike. Today, I am finally prepared to share the story of my journey.

On Thursday, January 28th, 2016 at approximately 12:25am, I rolled out of my driveway into the (somewhat) cold night with the intention of doing something amazing.

Mile 5: My feet began to freeze from the cold air running through my ventilated cycling shoes. At this point I had several options. I chose to just ignore it and just continue to focus on my miles.

Mile 55: It was almost 5am. I was sitting next to a vending machine eating a snack and trying to decide whether or not I wanted to continue my ride or if I'd rather just go home and sleep. I eventually got too cold from just sitting there that I got back on the bike and continued further into the quiet, lonely night.

Mile 60: I turned off onto an old highway that quickly faded to darkness. Through the darkness my mind would often play tricks on me and my imagination ran wild with every sound I heard off in the distance.

Mile 85: after a cold, scary, lonely night, I was able to sit and watch the sun rise from atop a beautiful mountain. But little did I know, my problems were far from over.

Mile 115: Back in familiar territory, but have a nasty cough and a sore throat that came to me somewhere along that old highway.

Mile 125: Just got back on my bike after a small stop at my favorite bike shop. Suddenly started feeling a very painful feeling in my knees that would go away only once I started pedaling.

Mile 130: Suddenly I became dizzy and started loosing alertness due to my lack of sleep. Made an emergency stop at a convenience store to buy some mountain dew... The caffeine in that stuff is amazing!
I then proceeded to head home for a small rest stop.

Mile 140: Back on the bike but feeling very discouraged. But then, I came across a friend of mine who offered some encouragement and left me with this Bible verse: "I can do all things through Christ who who strengthens me."
As soon as he said that, I looked at the path ahead and said in reply, "Yes I can!" And so I continued on.

Mile 160: I started feeling pain in my lower leg. It felt like my ankle was going to snap if I put pressure on it. So I just continued spinning the pedals without using too much force.

Mile 202: Finally pulled into the driveway of my home a.k.a. THE FINISH LINE!

Stats:
Total distance: 202.1
Average Speed: 15.2 mph
Time of departure: 12:25am
Time at finish line: 4:40pm

Unfortunately, I now have "patellar tendonitis" in my right knee as a result of that ride and so I haven't been able to ride much at all since then.

This ride truly felt like an amazing accomplishment to me. I feel like I really pushed myself to the limits both physically and mentally.

Last edited by Isaiahc72; 02-14-16 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 04:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Congratulations!! Your first double century!

And I'm betting the patellar tendonitis may have had something to do with your tights. I presume you were wearing tights?
Old 02-14-16, 06:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Quite a ride. Just circling around your home?

And your speed is pretty tremendous.

I've done a few 150 mile+ rides, but my speed is quite a bit lower.

Take care of your body. It is nice to hit the milestones, but not if it means injury.
Old 02-14-16, 09:06 PM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Congratulations!! Your first double century!

And I'm betting the patellar tendonitis may have had something to do with your tights. I presume you were wearing tights?
No I actually was NOT wearing tights. I wore some loose-fitting joggers for the first 120+miles before changing into some athletic shorts for the last half when the weather had warmed up. Surprisingly wasn't even saddle sore due to my Brooks B17 saddle.
Old 02-14-16, 10:01 PM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Isaiahc72
Hey all,

Mile 5: My feet began to freeze from the cold air running through my ventilated cycling shoes. At this point I had several options. I chose to just ignore it and just continue to focus on my miles.
That you continued to mile 202 is amazing, once my toes get cold, they don't warm up