Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Uh Oh... Strava Premium getting 'better'

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-18, 05:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

I figure it means either A) There's some new function or ability that's awesome, and I'll have to (want to) move from "free" version to get this new functionality; or 2) Functionality that we currently get in the free version is removed, and only available in Premium.

Old 07-27-18, 05:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yeah, I'm ready to be underwhelmed.
Old 07-27-18, 05:23 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I use the free version & get a lot out of it, feel a bit guilty,

but don't see much in the paid version that I want.

So I will be on the lookout next week.
Old 07-27-18, 05:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Honestly, I have no idea what the current premium offers (over what I have). I do have Stravastix though.. some 3rd party plugin that provides a lot of dorky information that's fun to look at but I can't say honestly changes my life.
Old 07-27-18, 05:32 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
2) Functionality that we currently get in the free version is removed, and only available in Premium.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-27-18, 05:52 PM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the relative effort charts(mobile only, premium feature). I would like to see fly bys on mobile and Strava bringing back the dark theme.
Old 07-27-18, 08:19 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
A few weeks ago, on the app, they added an option to get one of three limited premium versions at $2 per month each. These are Training, Safety and Devices (this last one is very poorly named and I believe they have since clarified the meaning, it doesn't mean that devices support will now be premium only). On the full website it still only has one option for premium so maybe those cheaper, limited subscriptions are coming?

Last edited by smarkinson; 07-27-18 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 08:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There are 9853 things more tempting than Strava premium.

My guess is that whatever they do bumps it up to number 8655 or so.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-27-18 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-27-18, 08:22 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Already quit being a paid subscriber. They've "improved" it into being Facebook for Bikes.
Old 07-28-18, 03:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'd consider upgrading to premium if Strava included some of the features I liked in Cyclemeter:
Programmable voice prompts for interval training.
User selectable voice prompts for info updates (current compass direction, speed, average speed, distance, etc.)
More data on weather/wind conditions, synced to selectable increments (distance or time, or triggered at specific segments to make it clear whether we benefited from a tailwind, were hindered by a headwind, etc.)

Cyclemeter was a bargain at $10 a year. Strava Premium would need to offer more features that I want to make it worthwhile.

OTOH, I don't understand Strava's business plan. They're carrying a lot of us freeloaders and asking nothing in return, although presumably they use our activity data in some way that benefits them. I don't understand why they don't at least incorporate carefully targeted marketing toward free users. I don't mind relevant ads that don't get in the way, so if they incorporated ads from Amazon, Nashbar, etc., based on my shopping patterns, that would be fine with me.
Old 07-28-18, 05:18 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I use the free version & get a lot out of it, feel a bit guilty,

but don't see much in the paid version that I want.

So I will be on the lookout next week.
Same. I even bought a year subscription because of I used it so much and felt I should, but I use none of the premium features so couldn't justify a second year.
Old 07-28-18, 06:48 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by smarkinson
A few weeks ago, on the app, they added an option to get one of three limited premium versions at $2 per month each. These are Training, Safety and Devices (this last one is very poorly named and I believe they have since clarified the meaning, it doesn't mean that devices support will now be premium only). On the full website it still only has one option for premium so maybe those cheaper, limited subscriptions are coming?
I suppose getting the Fitness/Freshness curves miiiiiight be worth $2/mo just for convenience, but the problem they have is if you're serious (there's that word) enough to want F/F or whatever else probably also feed in through Garmin or Wahoo (or both), in which case you get equivalent features from those platforms already. Or you might have TrainingPeaks premium to work with your coach. For this to be really appealing you need to be a phone-centric app-using Strava user, and those aren't the folks looking to time their F/F curves for their A-race.
Old 07-28-18, 06:51 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And the safety beacon was a nice thing that wifey used for a while, but then we bit the bullet and got a Qollector so I can track her during races as well. The yearly service fee is the theoretically the same as Strava Premium, but they've never charged it. And now I can see her power and HR while she's out riding, which is obvs critical.
Old 07-28-18, 07:33 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
OTOH, I don't understand Strava's business plan. They're carrying a lot of us freeloaders and asking nothing in return, although presumably they use our activity data in some way that benefits them. I don't understand why they don't at least incorporate carefully targeted marketing toward free users. I don't mind relevant ads that don't get in the way, so if they incorporated ads from Amazon, Nashbar, etc., based on my shopping patterns, that would be fine with me.
They sell your information/target ads at you.

IF the service is free, then you are the product.
Old 07-28-18, 07:45 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by rgconner
They sell your information/target ads at you.

IF the service is free, then you are the product.
fyi
https://www.strava.com/legal/privacy
Old 07-28-18, 07:50 AM
rgconner

Yeah, it is not like they don't tell you they are doing this, it is right out there in the open all documented.

Most people just don't read it.
Old 07-28-18, 07:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by rgconner
Yeah, it is not like they don't tell you they are doing this, it is right out there in the open all documented.

Most people just don't read it.
Can't say I've read all the way thru it either, but I didn't notice any mention of differentiated privacy/info-sharing depending on whether you're a free or paid subscriber?
Old 07-28-18, 07:53 AM
rgconner

Can't say I've read all the way thru it either, but I didn't notice any mention of differentiated privacy/info-sharing depending on whether you're a free or paid subscriber?
\Nope.
They make money off of the information of both groups, paid and unpaid.
Old 07-28-18, 09:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And the safety beacon was a nice thing that wifey used for a while, but then we bit the bullet and got a Qollector so I can track her during races as well. The yearly service fee is the theoretically the same as Strava Premium, but they've never charged it. And now I can see her power and HR while she's out riding, which is obvs critical.
I've been using Garmin Live Tracking for years. Few years ago I got hit by a car as it ran a light. Beth found out because I called her and said I'm on my way to the hospital, not because she was intently watching the screen and noticed my little dot wasn't moving.

It's not a safety feature, it's a where to find the body feature.
Old 07-28-18, 09:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Already quit being a paid subscriber. They've "improved" it into being Facebook for Bikes.
Does that mean I should boycott it when they start selling my personal information to the Republicans?
Old 07-28-18, 10:10 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Does that mean I should boycott it when they start selling my personal information to the Republicans?
Do you want to pay for being a product/commodity that is sold? Because you subscript doesn't support the site--the sale of your data does, and your subscription is just profit. It would be one thing if you were supporting the site, but they're honestly just suckering you at this point with Premium. The nice thing left about Strava is its convenience as a ride tracker....all the online ride trackers not-named Strava cost 2X+ what Premium does.

In my ideal world I'd have a client like SportTracks that isn't a data harvester, with the anywhere-convenience of Strava.
Old 07-28-18, 10:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've been using Garmin Live Tracking for years. Few years ago I got hit by a car as it ran a light. Beth found out because I called her and said I'm on my way to the hospital, not because she was intently watching the screen and noticed my little dot wasn't moving.

It's not a safety feature, it's a where to find the body feature.
Maybe for you. When I was in marathon training and she was doing lengthy Ironman rides, I'd finish my run and check the dot. Then shower and check the dot. Then leave the dot up while drinking my smoothie and watching Netflix on the TV. Then cook lunch and check the dot again. And a few times the dot stopped moving because of lost cell signal, and a couple of times I did start driving out before it reestablished the connection.
Old 07-28-18, 10:12 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Do you want to pay for being a product/commodity that is sold? Because you subscript doesn't support the site--the sale of your data does, and your subscription is just profit. It would be one thing if you were supporting the site, but they're honestly just suckering you at this point with Premium. The nice thing left about Strava is its convenience as a ride tracker....all the online ride trackers not-named Strava cost 2X+ what Premium does.

In my ideal world I'd have a client like SportTracks that isn't a data harvester, with the anywhere-convenience of Strava.
Quarq Qollector doesn't. It has a bigger up-front fee, but it's an awesome little device. And it's legal for use during triathlon, which is a big feature for some of us.
Old 07-28-18, 10:24 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Quarq Qollector doesn't. It has a bigger up-front fee, but it's an awesome little device. And it's legal for use during triathlon, which is a big feature for some of us.

$350 for the hardware...$100 per year for data service.

"Qollector is currently available to US residents through the Quarq website. The retail price is $349 (US) and the first six months’ cellular service is free. After six months, cellular service is $99 (US) per year. Qollector must use its own stand-alone cellular plan."
Old 07-28-18, 10:28 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

$350 for the hardware...$100 per year for data service.

"Qollector is currently available to US residents through the Quarq website. The retail price is $349 (US) and the first six months’ cellular service is free. After six months, cellular service is $99 (US) per year. Qollector must use its own stand-alone cellular plan."
As I said upthread, I nor anyone else has been charged that $99 fee yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.