Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Daffodil House

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Daffodil House

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-23, 07:40 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
The Daffodil House

Although not on tour, I came across a wonderful house on the first ride of the season, and received a gift and a wonderful story of love. I christened the house The Daffodil House. It is a nice and tidy small house on a 3 acre lot. The front yard and side yards are covered in daffodils. A woman came out from the garage and introduced herself to me and told me the story behind the daffodils.
An old couple had lived in the house for 30 years. The wife died a few years ago from old age. Through the years living there, the husband planted daffodils for his wife as it was her favorite flower. It started with a small front yard garden and grew from there. The woman telling the story lives just down the road and her granddaughter bought the house from the old widower just last fall. He was 90 and unable to care for the property any longer, moved into a home. He kept planting daffodils after his wife died and as it is now all 3 acres are almost completely covered by the flower.
Yes, daffodils do proliferate, but the old man added new ones to the lot every year for 30 years as a gesture to his wife of his love for her. Very touching, and even after she died and as hobbled as he was, the old man continued to plant more flowers for her. The granddaughter plans to keep the flowers and allow them to spread on their own.
It is an amazing thing to see, and even more amazing to walk among the flowers in full bloom. The woman snipped a couple of flowers for me to take to my wife, whom just happens to love daffodils!
Lesson of the story is if we don't stop to take in the world around us while out for a ride or on tour, we miss so much of life.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-16-23, 12:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Nice story.

A couple of years ago I went off route a short distance to see the house where “Buffalo Bill” was killed by Agent Starling.

The place has been turned into a stay experience rental. The gift shop sells Skinsuit So Soft body lotion.