Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Talk me out of a tubeless charger/reservoir

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 03:02 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

... or whatever they're called. I've used my friend's Bontrager Flash Charger several times... too many times. It's time to buy my own pump or charger. the Bontrager charger works great. Seriously. It's arguably flawless. I watched a couple reviews of that one and a couple others like it. I'm not questioning how well they work - at all.

But the Bontrager and the others like it are really just traditional high-pressure pumps with an attached reservoir and a dump valve. Schwalbe, Topeak and a few others make/sell just the reservoir. This seems pretty pragmatic. I mean, I have a good high-pressure pump. The all-in-one pump/chargers seem a bit redundant... right? Oh, and the all-in-ones are twice the cost... and take up more space.

Anyone used both styles and have an opinion... before I click "BUY"?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-23, 03:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
I haven't used a pump with a built-in cannister/booster, so I can't offer any kind of practical comparison between the two. I have an AirShot cannister for the times when my floor pump doesn't do the job. It works fine. I recently bought a new floor pump, and looked briefly at combination pumps. Descriptions of needing to fill up the cannister section each time just to top off a tire (which is a large majority of my ump use) was one of my reasons for not going in that direction.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-14-23 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-14-23, 03:24 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I got an Airshot canister. I could usually get beads set with just a floor pump, but it was a PITA. The canister makes much easier and faster.

If you already have a floor pump, I don't see the point of a pump/canister combined unit.
Old 06-14-23, 05:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
The high pressure pumps with an integrated reservoir has a valve between the pump, the head, and the reservoir, which theoretically reduces leakage.

But how much are these high pressure pump with reservoirs nowadays? Why not just buy an inexpensive air compressor?

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 06-14-23 at 05:40 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-14-23, 07:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The high pressure pumps with an integrated reservoir has a valve between the pump, the head, and the reservoir, which theoretically reduces leakage.

But how much are these high pressure pump with reservoirs nowadays? Why not just buy an inexpensive air compressor?
Exactly, besides you can use the compressor for others tasks as well. I use a compressor to seat my tubeless tires and a track pump to maintain them.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-14-23, 07:55 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Bontrager flash charger pump
Old 06-14-23, 09:07 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
My most recent install was the first time in a long time I needed something more than a regular pump to get the tires seated, some new 2.4 maxxis on straight wall carbon rims, just couldn't get the bead seated with a floor pump. It entailed a 3 block zip over to the local gas station with their free pump and the job was done. Not certain I could justify spending an extra 100.00 on a pump just for the rare use. I would spend the 100.00 on a compressor and call it a day.
Old 06-15-23, 12:56 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I don't really see the point for those charger things these days. Back when I was using tubeless on non compatible rims, a compressor was a necessity. However with the tubeless rims and tires of today I haven't had a single tire / rim combo I couldn't seat with just a track pump. The tires I've tried range from road tire to 4.8" fatbike tires.

The biggest ephiphany for me was in the use of soapy water. It's recommended as a lubricant to allow the tire to more easily slide on the bead shelf. It however has a dual purpose. A pre foamed soapy water works as a bead sealer as it prevents air from escaping from the tire during the seating process. I don't know how, but that's what it does.

So instead of applying the soapy water with a sponge, put the water into a spritz bottle. As the water comes out it foams up pretty well.

I had one stubborn tire I had to pull the compressor out for, but even that didn't work. But after remembering to use the soapy water I got a seal with the first press of a track pump.

So to talk you out of it, instead of getting that charger, get a spritz bottle and some liquid dish soap.
Old 06-15-23, 04:47 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
... or whatever they're called. I've used my friend's Bontrager Flash Charger several times... too many times. It's time to buy my own pump or charger. the Bontrager charger works great. Seriously. It's arguably flawless. I watched a couple reviews of that one and a couple others like it. I'm not questioning how well they work - at all.

But the Bontrager and the others like it are really just traditional high-pressure pumps with an attached reservoir and a dump valve. Schwalbe, Topeak and a few others make/sell just the reservoir. This seems pretty pragmatic. I mean, I have a good high-pressure pump. The all-in-one pump/chargers seem a bit redundant... right? Oh, and the all-in-ones are twice the cost... and take up more space.

Anyone used both styles and have an opinion... before I click "BUY"?

Thanks!
I have a Topeak integrated track pump/reservoir and it works great. But I needed a new track pump anyway, so it made sense. If you already have a high quality pump then I agree the separate reservoir is a good idea. My integrated pump is a bit cumbersome for packing in the car on travels when I don't need the reservoir, but at home it is very convenient when I do need to seat a tyre. If I had a separate reservoir I would probably lose it in the garage simply because I would only use it a few times per year. But I always have my track pump at hand. The integrated reservoir doesn't take up any more floor space than a track pump, it's just a lot heavier to cart around.
Old 06-15-23, 05:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Cheaper options are out there.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...ank%20portable

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...e%20air%20tank

https://www.homedepot.com/s/portable...%20tank?NCNI-5

Last edited by seypat; 06-15-23 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-15-23, 07:36 AM
Zaskar

I have a compressor. Sometimes compressors work. The little blow gun/nozzle (wrap the tip in tap for a better seal) works better than a tire chuck. But compressors don't dump air as fast as chargers like the Bontrager Flash Charger. They just don't. Some tires seat with just a pump. Some seat with a compressor. But there are those that need that big blast.

I'm still on the fence - canister vs. all-in-one. May just go with what I know works.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-15-23, 07:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Before you try to inflate your newly installed tire, do you pull the bead of the tire up onto the bead seat of the rim?

With a little effort and practice, just pinch the sidewall with your fingers and pull it over that little hump on the inside. Do that all around the tire on both sides. Then you might can even inflate the tire with just a floor pump.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-15-23, 08:58 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I got one of these and it works really well as it removes the restriction of the Presta core but can thread it in after inflation.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/1394-TUBIHEAD
Old 06-15-23, 09:54 AM
Zaskar

Atlas Shrugged that is very cool. One of the things I don't like about the Schwalbe canister is the thread on head. Obviously, by the time you unthread the chuck, all of the air has escaped. Theoretically, the bead stays put. That doesn't always happen. But that TubiHead Atlas Shrugged suggested, attached to a canister... Hmmm. The Bontrager Flash Charger has a quick release. The Topeka canister has a quick release but the reviews aren't great - a few about the valve not letting the air dump fast enough. Kinda the whole point.

Despite the title of the thread, I may be talking myself into the all-in-one like the Bontrager.
Old 06-15-23, 09:56 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Iride01
Before you try to inflate your newly installed tire, do you pull the bead of the tire up onto the bead seat of the rim?

With a little effort and practice, just pinch the sidewall with your fingers and pull it over that little hump on the inside. Do that all around the tire on both sides. Then you might can even inflate the tire with just a floor pump.
admittedly... no. I just make sure the inside the hooks, the valve base is oriented and seated - then let'er rip. I'm definitely doing ^that^ on the next tire... which is coming up shortly.
Old 06-15-23, 10:09 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I've never used those bike-specific air reservoirs, but I have a general purpose compressor/tank.

I have set up quite a few tubeless tires, with a variety of tire/rim/rim strip combinations. Some of them went pretty easily when it came to seating the beads. Others were real buggers. In EVERY case, I've had to use my air tank. I cannot get them to seat using only a bike tire pump.

...So I would recommend using some kind of reservoir or tank. If you have no other use for a compressor, it might make sense to get a bike tire charger. But Harbor Freight has some decent compressors at really attractive prices. They can be used to seat tires and to do a multitude of other tasks.
Old 06-15-23, 11:45 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I'd couple a reservoir with this https://www.amazon.com/CYCPLUS-Porta...BVW1CTZJ&psc=1
Old 06-15-23, 11:53 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
...Why not just buy an inexpensive air compressor?
because then I would start buying pneumatic tools and I end up with $500 worth of tools and I'd feel I have to use those tools and start new projects (which inevitably leads to even more tools) all because I wanted tubeless tires.

Slippery slope.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-15-23, 01:51 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I bought an Airshot cannister recently to use with my old Topeak floor pump. It works incredibly well. I've never tried the pumps with the built in cannister. I could see pros and cons of each, but if it's a good company, they probably all work fine.
Old 06-15-23, 05:37 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Exactly, besides you can use the compressor for others tasks as well. I use a compressor to seat my tubeless tires and a track pump to maintain them.

^ This. I bought a good air compressor plus attachments for around $30 more than a high pressure tubeless-seating pump.

Why would you not do this though? An air compressor is LOUD! If you live in an apartment or semi-detached or have annoying neighbours, it may not be appreciated. They also take up more space and require mains power.
Old 06-15-23, 05:58 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Is “bonty” an acceptable shortened version of “Bontrager?” I’ve been saying that but don’t know where I got it if not campy, which is kind of dumb.
Old 06-15-23, 08:58 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
OP should not get a tubeless charger/reservoir. There, I said it.
Old 06-15-23, 09:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I have a compressor. Sometimes compressors work. The little blow gun/nozzle (wrap the tip in tap for a better seal) works better than a tire chuck. But compressors don't dump air as fast as chargers like the Bontrager Flash Charger. They just don't. Some tires seat with just a pump. Some seat with a compressor. But there are those that need that big blast.
This sounds like a case of having poor equipment, or at least the wrong equipment for the job.

I’ve been road tubeless for almost ten years, and for more than half that time, I’ve had more than one bike running tubeless. Currently I have 4 bikes and one wheelset tubeless. During that time, I’ve used multiple floor pumps, multiple pump heads, a charge canister, two air compressors and a variety of compressor inflation heads. That’s the context to may statements.

I mean, what’s the difference between a flash charger and the tank on a compressor? They’re both holding some volume of air at some pressure. If you both the charger and the compressor tank are the same size and at the same pressure, but you can’t the compressor to flow at the same rate as the charger, that’s probably because you’re trying to use the blow gun head (as you stated) rather than a quality inflator like the Park INF-2. I never ran into a tire the compressor wouldn’t seat, only lousy inflator heads (ike that Prestacycle garbage). Getting the Park INF-2 elevated my quality of life…and has seated every tire/rim combo I’ve ridden over the years behind a compressor that delivers 3 SCFM @ 90psi…not that it matters, because it has a 4.5gal holding tank.

I’d look at your “ground tackle,” i.e. the size of the hose from tank to inflator head, and to getting a proper inflator head. If you have everthing else you need, just go ahead and spend on the best inflator around— the Park INF-2— and eliminate all doubt. And just as one last FYI, I’ve got 50’ of 3/8in hose on a retractable reel fed by another 30’ of 3/8in feeder hose behind that INF-2…
Old 06-16-23, 05:05 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Some good stuff here as always!

I too have been tubeless for over 10 years (road), exclusively so for probably 7-8

i have the bontrager pump you mention and have had it I think about 5 years now. In that time I think I’ve had to replace the rubber seal once.

it’s truly been a practical piece of equipment that is easy to take on the road with me when I’ve needed it. It seems to hold the air in the reservoir for a few days (maybe a bit less now), which makes topping up a tire nice and easy. I didn’t realize that some have chucks that thread on, the quick release has been great when seating tires with core removed. I just pull it off and quickly cover the valve with my finger and then putting the core back in. For the most part depending on how many margaritas I’ve had I can do it without losing all the air and definitely never lose the seating of the beads.

A couple of years ago, my Mother in Law dropped off a compressor. I’ve still never used it on the bike, more of a hassle to pull it off the shelf, charge it, and put it away lol!
Old 06-16-23, 05:56 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
^ This. I bought a good air compressor plus attachments for around $30 more than a high pressure tubeless-seating pump.

Why would you not do this though? An air compressor is LOUD! If you live in an apartment or semi-detached or have annoying neighbours, it may not be appreciated. They also take up more space and require mains power.
I prefer the portability of a track pump with integrated reservoir. I would only get a compressor if I needed it for other purposes. Even then I would probably still want a portable solution anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.