Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike unstable downhill at speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike unstable downhill at speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19, 01:24 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
i agree with the other responses on checking wheel/frame alignment... and verify there is no twisting of the frame/fork relationship...

and also... is the FORK for sure the correct one, and is it UNBENT?

and look at the frame just behind the head tube... is there ANY hint of deformity, like wrinkles, or cracks in the paint?

"broken spokes"... scary... the bike was previously tortured... check EVERYTHING....

including the state of the lower steering bearing... it could be that while hanging in your stand, it is unloaded, and that bearing may actually be pitted/rusted some... even one bad ball, or some brinelling, can cause issues under load... that lower bearing sees no load when up in a work stand.... the lower bearing is usually the one that gets bad first.

yank the pannier off... go for a test ride... and see how the bike tracks while riding no-handed.... but be ready to grab the bars.

and make sure to check the ultegra wheels for proper centering, too... both with a gauge, and mounted in the bike... eliminate all possible problems... don't assume, find out.

fork is the most likely thing to cause headshake... but multiple issues may be found.
I am having the same issues with a cannondale synapse 2017. i noticed you referenced that the fork and frame should be aligned. how does someone go about this ? and how does one bad wheel create a bad frame?
Old 11-27-19, 01:52 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by justinschulz9
I am having the same issues with a cannondale synapse 2017. i noticed you referenced that the fork and frame should be aligned. how does someone go about this ? and how does one bad wheel create a bad frame?
What happened when you removed the pannier+rack? What happens when you ride hands-off?
Old 11-27-19, 02:04 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
so no pannier, and im not drifting, just having a serious amount of vibration at 40 kmh. i am very interested more-so, as a new bike mechanic, how i would go about checking the frame and fork for mis-alignment. Its not so much a speed wobble either, just a hardcore vibration at a certain speed?
Old 11-27-19, 02:48 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Its not so much a speed wobble either,
Speed wobble is best described as the bike oscillating or violently vibrating at a certain speed.

just a hardcore vibration at a certain speed?
OK, then.

If you have checked and ruled out all the possible mechanical causes (loose spokes, loose headset, loose hubs, cracked frame or fork) then it is possible that you have simply found the resonant frequency of your bike. Try and add some weight to the handlebars, like a handlebar bag, I'd bet this will solve the problem as it will greatly alter the resonant frequency of the bike.
Old 11-27-19, 02:57 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The fact that the OP had to change the wheels the bike came with due to broken spokes makes me think maddog34 has it right, the bike was pretty badly abused by the former owner and the frame and fork alignment are questionable.
Old 11-27-19, 03:08 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
The Snyapse is carbon, you can check alignment, you can't fix it.

One way to check;
Old 11-28-19, 01:23 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Old 11-28-19, 09:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
so no pannier, and im not drifting, just having a serious amount of vibration at 40 kmh. i am very interested more-so, as a new bike mechanic, how i would go about checking the frame and fork for mis-alignment. Its not so much a speed wobble either, just a hardcore vibration at a certain speed?
Here are a couple of threads I've posted about frame alignment in. I can't find my more descriptive posts, I'm no search expert and I didn't record every reply I've done on alignment. But there are fairly simple ways to check the various aspects of alignment without having expensive or massive tooling.

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...-thoughts.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...iscussion.html

Here's an album from my Flicker site about aligning. The photos show both specific tooling methods and "home" methods.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/731955...57663801226719

Andy
Old 11-29-19, 10:00 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Found the old post I was mentioning. Andy https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ard-right.html