Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Group Ride, Experience.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 08:21 PM
dennisa

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well the weather finally cooperated and I was able to head out on my first group ride. It was a 25mi ride w/ 1500ft of climbing off the start. For the first 18mi I hung with the front pack of 8 of the 'C' (3-15mph) group on the hills. We ended up on a slight continuous incline as I crested the top I thought I was going to be able to close the gap the road leveled out to some flats and I got dropped. I was actually impressed with myself that I lasted that long. Finished up the last 7mi with a group of 5 guys that were hanging off the back of the lead group. We averaged 15.75mph.

Overall I had a great time met a lot of new people. Actually ran into an Uncle that I don't see often and some other acquaintances that I had no idea were into riding. Now I can't wait for next weeks ride.

Note to self when you put your front wheel back on close the front quick release on your brakes.
Old 07-26-10, 09:59 PM
noobpone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good for you. Is there a question in there somewhere? It actually sucks that there is not a warm up before the climb, that can be harsh on the knees and not a really smart idea.
Old 07-27-10, 08:53 AM
dennisa

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, there was at least a 1mi ride until we hit the hills. As far as questions go, other than riding more often, what should I do to be able to stay with the front group for the whole ride??
Old 07-27-10, 09:00 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisa
Well, there was at least a 1mi ride until we hit the hills. As far as questions go, other than riding more often, what should I do to be able to stay with the front group for the whole ride??
Other than just general fitness, if you took any pulls, don't. Not until you can stay with them. However, if you were in a group of 5 out of 8, I'd say you stayed with the "main" group which is fine. Did they regroup at all?

Edit: Also sometimes just knowing the route and where people go hard and where they go easier may help you. Next time you know you may not be able to close that gap over the top and you will give just a little more to stay with them. Sometimes that's enough motivation to dig a little deeper.
Old 07-27-10, 09:08 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
With group rides I like to go with a faster group than I may not be able to handle. That way I push myself and get faster. If I get dropped, I'll pick up with the slower group.

On faster rides, I'll take fewer pulls or something none at all. This is very important when coming to hills as some group rides like to really push the watts when coming up to a hill, resulting in dropped riders. If you know the route, make sure you're fresh for upcoming hills. You could not take any pulls right before the hill, or maybe take in some gel 15 minutes before a big climb.

One of the things that really helped me is taking gel every 15 minutes. It keeps my energy going up throughout the ride.
Old 07-27-10, 09:14 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle
One of the things that really helped me is taking gel every 15 minutes. It keeps my energy going up throughout the ride.
Yikes, do you take the whole thing or only a part? Seems like a lot of extra calories and carbs to make the body digest, not to mention a lot to carry for a long ride.
Old 07-27-10, 09:29 AM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Creatre
Yikes, do you take the whole thing or only a part? Seems like a lot of extra calories and carbs to make the body digest, not to mention a lot to carry for a long ride.
Oh no I carry about 2-3oz of homemade gel in a flask and sip on it throughout the ride (2 hours).

I take a sip of gel every time, not a whole thing.
Old 07-27-10, 09:31 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptle
Oh no I carry about 2-3oz of homemade gel in a flask and sip on it throughout the ride (2 hours).

I take a sip of gel every time, not a whole thing.
Ah gotcha.
Old 07-27-10, 09:39 AM
BasicJim

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep hanging with the group as long as you can. If you get in a pace line, don't be afraid to rotate to the back as soon as you make it to the front. Everyone should understand that you can't pull, YET!

Make sure your good and hydrated before and during the ride.

Get good at drafting. Grab a wheel and hold it. (Oh, and don't cross wheels!!!!!)

Group rides are great fun and I look forward to them every week. I am having an easy time with my group now and will be moving up to a faster group to get shelled OTB soon!!

Keep it up!!

Jim
Old 07-27-10, 09:50 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
congrats. it changes riding for sure. Welcome to a new side of such a great sport.